Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477
TechGuyAndrew

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon RC released!

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

Will update manager automatically show this update as an optional one, or do we have to install this manually if we want it?
caiman

Post by caiman »

Excellent news. Out of curiosity, is there a list of fixed bugs? I'm especially interested in this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1081842 Thanks.
drewdlekins

Post by drewdlekins »

Just ran a fresh install, the Cinnamon x86 version. Solid as a rock, and I'm really liking the changes to Cinnamon. So is this finally, really, truly the banishment of Gnome 3? I see nothing named "gnome" running in the Processes under System Monitor. :D It feels (seat of the pants anyways) one hell of a lot faster than Mint 15. On my hardware, it's on par with LMDE Up 7 running Cinnamon 1.8.

Christmas came early. :) Thanks guys!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Nice job Clem. Cinnamon is performing like a dream. In previous Cinnamon versions and/or kernels I had slight tearing with the proprietary ATI driver installed. Now it is smooth with no tearing at all.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Fantastic
Mint continues to be the benchmark for the very best in Linux IMO
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
King Duzu

Post by King Duzu »

Cant wait for the finall version to be released, good work linux mint team :)
lasermaniak

Post by lasermaniak »

The best system ever guys, very stable, intuitive, quick nad looks great !!! Very well done to the team whio created it !
It won me over and now I'm waiting for Final Release
Thank You.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations on another release again for the Linux Mint Team. The version of Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon RC works well, but in at least 64 bits to see in System Monitor have a high consumption of CPU (2) and Memory. Tested, and my only major complaint here its. If System Monitor displays, there is a high consumption. Other than that, good version !! Once again Congratulations, but you have to fix that !!!!
xtremo

Post by xtremo »

Fantastic release! Great job Clem and team!
kherring7383

Post by kherring7383 »

Just installed Mint 16, and as usual it installed without issues. But to truly evaluate it I installed all of my basic apps even though I had a bit of trouble with Skype but I was able to get it going with the help of a post I found here [url]http://linuxg.net/how-to-fix-the-skype-sound-issue-on-ubuntu-13-10-saucy-salamander/[/url]. It seems that the channel version of Skype has issues with Ubuntu 13.10 and any OS that uses Ubuntu repositories. But all-in-all every thing is up and running great. I'm ready to retire my Mint 15 and use 16. When Mint 16 is finalized the changes will be integrated through updates just like all previous Mint releases.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

So the final release ISO will contain the same stuff but with this updates only? Hmm but I will wait just a little longer. Im not in hurry. :)

How about the memory usage in Cinnamon 2.0? Better than MATE or still is more than it? Im not happy with the MATE development now, Cinnamon seems to get better and better!
willem230

Post by willem230 »

Thank you linux mint team finaly i can say Goodby to Microsoft
HeyItsLou

Post by HeyItsLou »

In this video I give a brief overview of Linux Mint's latest release "Petra". I discuss the Mint teams announcement of Cinnamon being it's own stand alone desktop environment as well as the new features of Mint's 16th release...enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx1ZK_XwUiA
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

HeyItsLou wrote:In this video I give a brief overview of Linux Mint's latest release "Petra". I discuss the Mint teams announcement of Cinnamon being it's own stand alone desktop environment as well as the new features of Mint's 16th release...enjoy!

So you are the guy from Youtube! Well done for the videos, man. :)
HeyItsLou

Post by HeyItsLou »

RacerBG wrote:
HeyItsLou wrote:In this video I give a brief overview of Linux Mint's latest release "Petra". I discuss the Mint teams announcement of Cinnamon being it's own stand alone desktop environment as well as the new features of Mint's 16th release...enjoy!

So you are the guy from Youtube! Well done for the videos, man. :)
Thank you! Glad you enjoy the content :)
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@HeyItsLou
When are you going to do Mate?
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Olivia clobbered my graphics, so had to stick to Nadia, and was thinking of having to look around for another distro so as not to fall behind. However I'm now jumping from Nadia to Petra, being very pleased with the performance so far, after a System Uptime of approximately 4 hours. (Btw not found where the System Uptime is recorded)

Minus
Have come across a minor glitch with Firefox. Manipulating one of web console / browser console, my tab (window frame) went into reverse video, following which went black. Could recover by loading 'about:config' or I suppose any site.

Plus
  • Live system starts with only 8% of memeory (/cow) used up, as opposed to 11% on Nadia.
  • Like the timely screensaver, nice touch :)
prohc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prohc »

There is an article out by a Ubuntu Developers, who say that Linux Mint Is a Vulnerable System. Is this true?
By the way the new release is great.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Developers-Say-that-Linux-Mint-Is-a-Vulnerable-System-401007.shtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Lou, nice job with your video !
Now I am wondering if I should not switch from Mate to Cinnamon
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave

Return to “Releases & Announcements”