possible a a lite version of LM

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Joseph.

possible a a lite version of LM

Post by Joseph. »

Hi All
I do like the way LM Team put together a great Product nearly perfect out of the box ready to run programs
But I hope in the future of the LM team may come up with a very core or very light version LM what need to run on any newest hardware and minus the boat load of programs
that the user may not use?

but do hope the most important drivers are already installed or packaged in the future LM in order to run well
and leave it to the user to add a choice of program what they really need to their liking

of course we all want a very secure system

So hat off to all the LM team

Cheers

Ps maybe a member of the LM team can make a poll of what or not to inclued in the future for the ligh version or main core version only so that the user can have a choice?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: possible a a lite version of LM

Post by xenopeek »

It's a key value of Linux Mint to give users a complete "out of the box" experience, with programs immediately available for most common tasks. This is both facilitating to users new to Linux, and also to more experienced users as they immediately have a working environment (and experienced users can then install/remove programs as desired). If you strip the "out of the box" experience to get some "light" version of Linux Mint, basically you are removing from Linux Mint that what makes it Linux Mint.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I think that would be great to have a version with only the programs you want but I doubt that it will happen. Another way would be for you to choose which programs you want at instalation with the first choice the full version and if you don't want that then you would have be able to select what you do want such as which editor, browser etc. As I said before, I doubt that it will happen but I would sure like it better than having, and having to update, all of the programs that I never use.
Joseph.

Post by Joseph. »

Thanks for the reply and glad you had a valid point of view
it's true that you can do strip away things that you do not wish to have
but then it all up to the user even though it still a great prouduct.
But in my opnion it still small even they have all this software that came with LM it realtivy small compared To windows product (after installing window 7 home pemium 64 bit and with the updates and ect went to a blinking 49 gigabyte took up a lot hard drive space) and I did not even install photo shop or a recording program to record my LP not even microsoft office go figure

Cheers
again this was a simple thought and suggestion

Cheers All
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's been suggested before, mostly by users that know which programs they would want to install after installing Linux Mint :wink: Not everybody has that knowledge, and even with that knowledge most users remove but a few programs after installing Linux Mint seems to be the consensus on the forums. If you look at your menu, there aren't actually that many programs installed. You can easily remove them with the Software Manager (check its View menu and disable to show available packages so you only see the installed ones).

Most programs will negligibly save disk space, only things like LibreOffice might be considered significant (about 200 MiB). You can see the size of installed packages (in KiB), sorted on size, with this command:

Code: Select all

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
Upgrades for those packages would be smaller in size.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”