Changing file manager in 13

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Changing file manager in 13

Post by Morgan Krieg »

The file manager has no tabbed browsing, no bookmarks and no search. Is it possible to replace it with something functional without breaking anything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

There's plenty of file managers available to you. In part, it depends on which manager you are using right now.

I am running the Plasma desktop at the moment, which defaults to Dolphin. I prefer Nemo, which comes with Cinnamon.

I also have Thunar, which is the default file manager for XFCE desktop.

In order to get Thunar installed, I had to install the whole XFCE package, but I would try installing just the file manager you want to try using either the Software Manager, Synaptic, our apt-get.

Changing the default file manager will probably fall under Program Defaults.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Changing file manager in 13

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Morgan Krieg wrote:The file manager has no tabbed browsing, no bookmarks and no search. Is it possible to replace it with something functional without breaking anything?
Recent versions of Thunar have tabs. Perhaps it might be possible to update whichever version of XFCE (/Thunar) that you have in Mint 13 to XFCE 4.10? I think that the version of Thunar that you'd end up with is new enough to have tabs; if not, at least you'd be able to then add the XFCE 4.10 and 4.12 (have to add the 4.10 in order to be able to use the 4.12) PPAs to your sources list. If you did, after a regular update you'd end up with Thunar version 1.6.3.

Thunar version 1.6.3 appears to have some sort of search. I might be mistaken, but you can start typing and a little box appears with what you are typing. I am guessing that is some kind of search, but I am unsure because I have never used it because I know where my files are (text/documents in Documents, music in Music, et cetera).

I have no idea at all about bookmarks, though. I have always just used Firefox for bookmarks/webpages. I did try KDE once and (IIRC) I think that Konqueror or whatever its file manager was called could also view webpages, so it probably had bookmarks as well. You might try running it if you need to be able to see your bookmarks from within a file manager.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”