Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon released!

Post by clem »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2489
ongdenny

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon released!

Post by ongdenny »

I've been waiting for this! ^_^

Thanks man! You rock!!

I'm new to linux, but instanly fall in love with Mint! Downloading it now.. ^_^
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Im still considering what to install on my laptop but after looking at the release notes of both Cinnamon and Mate editions I prefer the first one. Well if it's not very fast or have memory leaks I can always buy another DVD and install Mate with it. 8)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

FINALLY :D
zebedeeboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zebedeeboss »

WOW!!! Simply the fastest Linux I have used in a long long time - Fantastic Job
LMDE 5 Elsie | Cinnamon V5.2.7 | Kernel 5.10.0-12-amd64 | AMD Ryzen TR 2950X (32) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti | Display 49" 5120 x 1440 240Hz | 64GB Corsair RGB DDR4 3000MHz | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

[url=http://contentdb.emule-project.net/view.php?pid=2350]Decentral eD2k/Kad mirror updating this second.[/url] Thanks for your work!
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations to the entire Linux Mint Team, excellent version, now waiting for the KDE version. Too bad the little time support, but unfortunately this does not depend to you. Cinnamon was great in my tests..... Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!!
FreedomOfTheOpenCode

Post by FreedomOfTheOpenCode »

64-bit version is looking good so far on my laptop. I like the new backgrounds, and especially being able to give a USB stick a label when I format it. Cute sound effects too when inserting and removing the USB. Nice work. Thanks!
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

Three machines upgraded to 16 (two from 15, one from 14). All installs done at a quick speed. The backup software tool worked famously, even though one was coming from 32bit to 64bit version!
My two windows apps re-opened without problems in wine.
I only have two problems...I have one machine at church that I dual-boot. It currently is using 13. It is still working well (and I never boot into that 'other' os anyway, but it is not machine, so I have to keep it.)
The other, since I added Cairo-dock, my Acer Aspire S3 might be confused with a Mac Air...and the congregation may think they are overpaying me!

God Bless
Doug
bdnaldo

Post by bdnaldo »

Well done! Looking forward to digging in.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

RevDjenk Good evening,
If one day you need a deck very light for your memory, give a try to Docky.
it's fantastic with LinuxMint
Cordially
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

Slightly, but noticeably, faster than Olivia.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

Is there a torrent download for LinuxMint 16 Cinnamon (32-bit) somewhere? Couldn't find it on the site or with Google, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

---sorry, found the link.

For some reason, deluge wasn't kicking in with the download, and therefore I was getting a 1.x GB file in the Browser download manager. Anyway, all fixed now.

TYVM
Last edited by sadhu on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

sadhu wrote:Is there a torrent download for LinuxMint 16 Cinnamon (32-bit) somewhere? Couldn't find it on the site or with Google, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

I have a flakey ISP which drops packets. I hate to try to donwload 1.2 GB, only to have it fail after 900MB. I have to pay for bandwidth.

Which is why I prefer a torrent, if poss.

TYVM
[url=http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=143]In the first section at the bottom called torrent.[/url]
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

After not being able to use Olivia, owing to graphics incompatibility, glad to be able to update to this release. :)

After two relatively uneventful sessions, System Crashes:
    1. Just by clicking to close a tab, have managed to get Firefox to overwrite video memory with strips of tuquoise colour, and crash the system :(
      • Going through the settings Administration > Driver Manager saw there was another driver recommended, so selected this one and hit Apply. Changing driver seemed to take ages, but half-way through disk started thrashing in a tight loop, freezing the system. So had to hit Restart
        • Also, as there is no longer a pre-packaged application to obtain hardware information, had to install hardinfo, which worked ok until I clicked on Summary, when Scanning displays was shown followed by video memory overwrite and system crash.. Next time round clicked on hardinfo Display, screen went blank and system crashed. Clicking on hardinfo Display also crashed system likewise under Petra rc. Now have used lshw to provide all the info, and the good thing is, it's already installed.
        New Problems
          • The very first time the system came up, heard the fanfare and returned to the room to find X up and running. However the next time the system came up, returned to the room to be greeted by a black screen with a mouse pointer I could move, but nothing else. Have met this situation just the once with Nadia. Recover by progressively killing off cinnamon from a console. Ctl+Alt+F1 and ps -e came up with cinnamon-screen as likely candidate. Killed cinnamon-screen and got X back:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ ps -C cinnamon-screen
              PID TTY          TIME CMD
            • Windows Graphics Management leaves much to be desired. Had three windows, one on top of the other and partially covering each other. Top was File Manager, middle was Terminal, and bottom was Firefox. Clicked on Terminal to bring it into focus, but nothing happened, clicked once more and after a second or two rectangular segments of File Manager and Terminal beagan disappearing, with Firefox eventually coming into focus, which was not what was wanted. This sluggish response has never happened on Nadia, where windows have come into focus instantaneously.
              • Desktop clear, clicked Firefox on toolbar, and should have got [url=http://postimg.org/image/66qo4t84j/][img]http://s29.postimg.org/66qo4t84j/FF_Win.jpg[/img][/url], but instad the firefox window was dark grey transparent (could just make out the left column of icons: Computer, Home etc.), with the rest of the screen light grey. Moving mouse and clicking changed screen to completely dark grey and then back again. Nothing to be done, but kill cinnamon-session. Screen went technicolor with vertical strips of colour, and in top right hand corner a linuxmint countdown. X came back, desktop clear, toolbar also clear of windows. (All application settings still remaining however, when application opened.)
              RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I hope that Mint 17 LTS will FIX the reboot issue which IS issue on laptops after complete system install and prompt to reboot.

EDIT: Also still are present memory leaks with Cinnamon 2.0.14 but not very huge.
              Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

Yay, new release time! My favorite two times of the year (no joke)! :D :D

From the release page:
              Known issues
              Recommended packages and 32-bit libraries

Recommended packages are no longer automatically installed in Linux Mint. To install a package with its recommended packages, use the command "apt install packagename --install-recommends".

If you're experiencing issues with Skype or other 32-bit programs under Linux Mint 64-bit, install the package "ia32-libs".
              Why? It seems like it would be best to automatically include all the recomended packages to make a 32-bit program run in 64-bit...wouldn't it? If I install "ia32-libs", does that mean I don't have to also go into Terminal and type "apt install packagename --install-recommends" for every single program I install? (I'm guessing I still have to?) I think I read somewhere that Terminal's program names are/can be different from the GUI's program names (ex: a word program might be called Note Writer in the GUI, but be called YayAwesomeStickyNotes by Terminal). How do I check what the Terminal command name for a given program is?

This month is completing my very first year using Linux, so I'm still quite a n00b; hopefully these questions don't seem too dumb. :? I also ask because I'm mentoring my 9 YO cousin who discovered Linux by himself 6 months after I abandoned Windows, so I need to know how to deal with this issue because of him. I'm hoping Petra will still be extremely n00b-friendly to him, since he's just a little kid and we live two states away from each other...email (with screenshots & instructions) is our only way to communicate. I've got to walk him through the upgrade process now, and I'd like to also include information on what to do about any 32-bit programs he might install post-upgrade. I hope multiple trips into Terminal won't be required, as it might end up being overwhelming for him. He's not quite ready for Terminal commands just yet, being only 9. He's still very new to computers in general, let alone Windows and especially Linux. I have to keep things very simple for him so as not to overwhelm him.

Time to go backup my hard drive and prepare to install Petra! Thank you Clem for all your hard work on Mint. It's a wonderful distro!
              sadhu
              Level 5
              Level 5

Post by sadhu »

I work exclusively from home, and rely on skype for conferencing. The sound was so distorted that I had to exit skype completely.

I tried the various fixes listed in other forums, the most common being adding a line about adding "PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30" to some config file, but it didn't help. Some of the other fixes screwed up media player audio completely, and I didn't know how to put it right. So after wasting 3 hours on this, I fixed it the fast and easy way: I re-installed Mint 15.

(These types of contretemps are what kept me from Linux for at least a decade. I've gotta get my work done. I don't have time to chase bug fixes.)*

Maybe I'll reload 16 at the end of its life cycle, after other knowledgeable programmers fix it all the little bugs.

-Sadhu

*Still, I'm going to force myself to stick with Mint, rather than feed more coins into Bill Gates's pocket.
              sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
              Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

sadhu wrote:I work exclusively from home, and rely on skype for conferencing. The sound was so distorted that I had to exit skype completely.

I tried the various fixes listed in other forums, the most common being adding a line about adding "PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30" to some config file, but it didn't help. Some of the other fixes screwed up media player audio completely, and I didn't know how to put it right. So after wasting 3 hours on this, I fixed it the fast and easy way: I re-installed Mint 15.

(These types of contretemps are what kept me from Linux for at least a decade. I've gotta get my work done. I don't have time to chase bug fixes.)*

Maybe I'll reload 16 at the end of its life cycle, after other knowledgeable programmers fix it all the little bugs.

-Sadhu

*Still, I'm going to force myself to stick with Mint, rather than feed more coins into Bill Gates's pocket.

Skype solution here [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=151527[/url]
              FreedomOfTheOpenCode

Post by FreedomOfTheOpenCode »

64-bit edition now installed on my desktop; looking good so far. I installed Mint 16 on top of Mint 15 without reformatting, and kept my home partition, so it could just be the preferences.
              Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”