Printer Settings Dialogue in Menu

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
colincronin

Printer Settings Dialogue in Menu

Post by colincronin »

First off,
I truly enjoy using Linux Mint. It is absolutely my favorite distro. Thank you for all of the hard work to make this flavour possible. I like the direction of Cinnamon and Nemo over Gnome and Nautilus. I reccomend this system to all potential Linux desktop users I meet.

My Suggestion:
I think it would be useful and convienent to have the Printers settings dialogue available for quick opening via the menu, maybe in the same fashion that one can access the Displays or Region & Language settings dialogues.

Keep up the awesome work.

-Colin
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Printer Settings Dialogue in Menu

Post by xenopeek »

The command that launches the printer settings dialogue (at least I think we're talking about the same thing) is called system-config-printer and is located in /usr/bin/.

So on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon, for example, you could right-click the menu button, select Configure, then open the menu editor from there. Go into the category where you want to add it, and click the New Item button. Give it a name and put the command as:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/system-config-printer
Et voilà, you have a launcher in your menu in addition to the launcher in System Settings.

As for your idea for doing this by default, it would make things be in two places again. A lot of work was done to make settings and preferences all appear only in System Settings. So I don't think this will be done by default. Perhaps there is some reason to visit this dialog often though? IDK, I don't own a printer.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”