I still use Isadora

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

I still use Isadora

Post by mzsade »

Isadora, my Isadora,
Thy voluptuous flash,
Causes much concern,
What do we care,
Our Love is pure,
The wise will discern
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
nomko

Re: I still use Isadora

Post by nomko »

great for you still using Isadora. However I have to warn you that you're basically working with an out-of-date version of Mint. This means that a lot of bugs and security risk are not patched on your system which could be vulnerable for online attacks. Although this risk is not as large as with some other operating system, but still. Your system is vulnerable.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Without a doubt, and thanks for the heads up, this is not my work computer though, single user, i use it mostly for streaming media and frivolous stuff like that. :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

And the repository for Ubuntu 10.04 (on which Isadora is based) still receives the updates, security updates included.
If it works, there's no need to fix what's not broken. :)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

An old hill-billy tip, if you've to update anything do it with Synaptic, it's a lot safer, i feel it in me bones. :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

Monsta wrote:And the repository for Ubuntu 10.04 (on which Isadora is based) still receives the updates, security updates included.
If it works, there's no need to fix what's not broken. :)
Not fully correct. Canonical provided support for the desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04 until 9 May 2013, but intends to support the server version until April 2015. So, this means that for the desktop version Ubuntu 10.04 and with this Linux Mint Isadora, has no support. No updates and security patches are available for the desktop version.
nomko

Post by nomko »

mzsade wrote:An old hill-billy tip, if you've to update anything do it with Synaptic, it's a lot safer, i feel it in me bones. :)
It doesn't matter if you update your system using synaptic or the terminal or update-manager. It's all the same. I prefer updating using the terminal since this provides me all the info i want if something goes wrong.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

nomko wrote:Not fully correct.
It's still more correct than "a lot of bugs and security risk".
nomko wrote:No updates and security patches are available for the desktop version.
The repositories are the same.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

No one seems to have a word of appreciation for Isodora's "voluptuous flash" that her browser has (the last of it\s kind), which loads videos when streaming them in the temp folder
nomko

Post by nomko »

Monsta wrote: The repositories are the same.
Yes, the repo's might be the same. But after 3 years the support for the desktop version is stopped and since the most users are using a desktop version, they don't get the needed updates any longer. You only get 5 years support if you're running a server version of Ubuntu 10.04. You get the point? The repo's for the desktop version are closed for further usage.
nomko

Post by nomko »

mzsade wrote:No one seems to have a word of appreciation for Isodora's "voluptuous flash" that her browser has (the last of it\s kind), which loads videos when streaming them in the temp folder
Ofcourse i appreciate this, but i don't want an out-of-date version running on my desktop with al the vulnerability risks included....
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I daresay the vulnerability is highly exaggerated, you have my permission to hack me and prove me so..use backtrack 5 and whatever else you will.. :)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Sorry, that was coarse, i meant if you knew that stuff i'd be glad to have my system tested by another Mint user.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Isadora was certainly a classic Mint release.

Julia was very good too. In fact I kept running Julia on one of my PCs until c. 4 months ago, when I moved over to the present LTS version. Mind you, I did keep browsers and Thunderbird up-to-date manually after support for Julia ended.

Don't get me wrong - I think Mint 13 is great too. I also understand that it's not a good practice to keep running an unsupported OS. But when an older version works so perfectly for you, it can be hard to devote time to making the move.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I wouldn't do any banking on a system that was out of support.
Just sayin'.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Hey, check out the new girl Petra. She's young and very hot! :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

InkKnife wrote:I wouldn't do any banking on a system that was out of support.
Neither would I unless i'm more than 100% sure that the webbrowser is up-to-date. And even then, you're not 100% secure with the latest webbrowser version or latest Flash version or fully updated operating system. There's always a leak, weak spot in software and bugs. Software, no matter how up-to-date it is, is never 100% secure and free from bugs and leaks and will never be 100% secure and free from bugs and leaks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

What about my laptop, that was Darnya Mint LTS on it ?.
:o
it can go on the 'net, & has a late version of FF running on it.

in all seriousness, give a choice of a older Linux running a updated FF, over the latest offering from a Major O/S supplier,
it'd be the Linux version, - every time.

- even when out of date, a Linux O/S is still more secure than anything from that company, me thinks.
but, it would have to have a up to date browser, though ..
( it's the only thing that still gets updated )(manually)
- just like my laptop has.
- it's still waay more secure :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I thought Isadora was a great release. As for using an outdated Linux release, I've done it before, too. The biggest concern for me was not having an updated web browser, but it didn't seem like a big deal for the stuff I was doing online (mostly looking for info at Linux sites).
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I also liked Isadora too, it was a really great release. I really do not see anything wrong with using an older release, especially since Firefox can be updated by hand so to speak. It is hard to let go of something that is working so well and does everything you want it to. Heck, look at some of the very light distros that are designed to run on older hardware, they often use old versions of software and software that is no longer maintained.

Honestly, I think it is awesome that someone has stuck with the same install for such a long time. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”