MDM and cpu usage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bradley

MDM and cpu usage

Post by Bradley »

I have done several searches and not found any info for this issue in LM 16 Cinnamon using MDM. When using MDM, the cpu usage for mdmwebkit and Xorg on my pc has a minimum of about 20 and is usually higher. I have seen that this happened on earlier versions of LM. I did not have this problem when I used LM 15 Cinnamon, but quite honestly, I never paid attention to what DE I was using. I used whatever the original install chose. I noticed the issue and did a search last night / this a.m. and ended up for now using GDM which gives another login screen that is labelled Ubuntu. While everything works and once I login I am in LM 16 and the cpu usage is down to almost nothing when idle, I would like to to see if I can find a solution and go back to using MDM. Suggestions would be helpful and if I need to find another forum in which to post this, direction would be helpful.

Edit: I am using an Intel CPU with video built into the processor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: MDM and cpu usage

Post by kukamuumuka »

KDM is a functional choice for not to see Ubuntu logo .. :wink:
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks. I might just do that. I used Kubuntu which I liked for awhile before switching to LM Nadia. Still, I hope to find a solution and switch back to MDM.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

If you do not care which DE you use, you might try using MATE or XFCE, neither of which (AfaIK), want accelerated graphics just to run the desktop. Because of this, you may find that overall CPU usage when using your preferred MDM (I like those initials :wink: ) turns out to be less.

But the above is just a guess, and I might be wrong. Probably am. Still, it costs nothing to try, lol.

Regards,
MDM

EDIT: You might also wish to ensure that your graphics driver situation is properly sorted. Otherwise (IIRC), Cinnamon goes into "software rendering mode" or somesuch, and your CPU usage tends to go through the roof.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I did go to KDM from GDM from the original MDM which changed my login screen. After login, everything is the same except that I no longer have the higher cpu usage which is good. I don't understand why there is a difference from LM 15 with cpu usage. I have researched and found that LM 15 used MDM by default on Cinnamon according to [url]http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php[/url]. Since I did not change it, I know that I was using MDM in 15. My pc has no hardware changes at all from LM 15 to 16.

I ran sudo lspci -v and got the following:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7788
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
        Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: i915
The cpu is an Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4 ghz 1155 LGA 65W dual core desktop processor with Intel HD graphics BX80623G530.

This indicates to me that Mint is using a specific driver for my integrated graphics which I believe it was in 15. I gather from this that I am not using software to render graphics on 16. I may be wrong, but it seems sensible.

I guess I can live with what I have since the problem is resolved. However, not being that knowledgeable about Linux, I am wondering if anything else has changed with my switch to KDM since once I login, everything looks exactly the same and works the same as far as I can tell. In other words, when I get logged in, I'm in LM 16. My question is partly based on the information given by Robin in post #5 in this sticky post [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=54945[/url] in this the newbie forum. It is also based on the fact that when I ran Kubuntu, I also had XFCE installed and could boot to both. When I did that, both the login changed and the actual desktop, buttons, windows, etc. were different. So that is different from what I have now since I am looking at LM 16 after logging in with the KDM login screen.

Like I said, things seem to be ok. However, I want to be knowledgeable about what is going on. There's no reason to be uninformed continuously in my mind. I like to learn this stuff.

Most importantly...

I would like to see if I can figure out a way to fix my issue with MDM on 16 since I did not have the problem with it on 15 using the exact same hardware.

I'll work on this tomorrow night some more, but any info anybody wants to provide will be appreciated and I offer thanks for the help I have been given thus far.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

I'm getting this with Petra 16 MATE edition, after having set the screensaver to lock the screen.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

Oh, my solution has been to switch the login screen to be the GTK one.

I'm sure there are people who need (or even want) to have fancy HTML5-enabled login screens, but I am not one of them. Amongst the many reasons for that is that I spend about five seconds on the login screen every time I boot... which is once every few months.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

unprinted wrote:I spend about five seconds on the login screen
Lol. Did seem to be an odd thing to spend development time on - kind of like reading that a new model of vehicle now has a mirror-finish on the undercarriage - but I suppose that sort of thing happens in a volunteer project. Guessing that it's not like anyone was punching a clock and getting paid to do it, someone probably just decided they'd like to have such a thing on their computer and, being nice, decided to offer it to Clem for general distribution. I doubt that developing it took any development time away from something useful.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Beginner Questions”