... the dreaded Command Line, [worked like a Champ]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Timberbeast

... the dreaded Command Line, [worked like a Champ]

Post by Timberbeast »

When I switched from Olivia-mate to Petra-mate, I used the Backup tool to save a bunch of files. When it came to replace those files in their rightful home, it seems that that big bully, root, stole a bunch of them from me. Now, I have been studying about chown and chmod, but don't quite have my head wrapped around them yet. Here's what I've got.

[img]/home/larry
larry@oldDell ~ $ ls -l
total 52
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 3 17:19 ArtWork
drwxr-xr-x 85 larry larry 4096 Dec 5 05:52 Calibre Library
drwx------ 33 root root 4096 Dec 2 07:24 Computer_Library
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 4 12:29 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 51 larry larry 4096 Dec 5 09:56 Downloads
drwx------ 101 root root 4096 Nov 29 20:50 Fiction_Library
drwx------ 11 root root 4096 Nov 29 21:24 History_Library
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Dec 3 09:34 Videos
larry@oldDell ~ $ umask
0022[/img]

As you can see I was looking at those files very diligently, but I could see that I would need a little help to keep trashing these files. As you can also see that there are a bunch of nested files, so I would like to use the -R (recursive) argument to steal those files back with one whack, if I could. Those are the only copies of those files I have. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lose them, but I would sure love to have them back if I could. Any of you gurus got a minute? I sure would appreciate it.

larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: A little help with the dreaded Command Line, please?

Post by WharfRat »

Larry,

I'm guessing that you're trying to reclaim the folders that are now owned by root e.g., Fiction_Library and History_Library :?:

If that's the case then you can chown all of /home/larry which will give the ownership to you.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R larry:larry /home/larry
Good luck :wink:
Timberbeast

Post by Timberbeast »

Thank you Wharf Rat! Yup, that syntax was I was needing. I need to save that the old fashioned way, pen and paper, so I don't lose it. Now I can beat that bully, Root. Look out, Root. Here I come. Yea Hah...........

Thanks again Wharf Rat,
larry
ericramos1990

Post by ericramos1990 »

WharfRat wipes problems in seconds. :lol:
Timberbeast

... dreaded Command Line [worked like a Champ]

Post by Timberbeast »

Sweet, got it. Now I can study on those commands some more. Root is still whimpering a little. Take THAT!

Thanks again, Wharf Rat,
larry
Timberbeast

Post by Timberbeast »

Don't take him long, does it. :lol:

larry
NuxNubkins

Re: ... the dreaded Command Line, [worked like a Champ]

Post by NuxNubkins »

How large are those library directories? You could always use a cloud solution like Dropbox. An ex girlfriend pointed me to it around a year ago and I've used it ever since. It's great for synching up my library of programming references across multiple devices so I don't even have to think about it.
Timberbeast

Re: ... the dreaded Command Line, [worked like a Champ]

Post by Timberbeast »

Those files aren't huge. About 1.2 gig. I'll check Dropbox out. I like the synching feature.

larry

Return to “Beginner Questions”