[SOLVED] Trouble installing a Canon PIXMA MP560 [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clovis
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Trouble installing a Canon PIXMA MP560 [SOLVED]

Post by Clovis »

I'm taking my first steps in linux. All going reasonably well, until I try to print to my wireless printer, a Canon PIXMA MP560. I'm assuming that before I can even think about identifying the printer on the network, I need to install the Canon drivers. I had managed to get the printer working on my first trial venture into linux, on Ubuntu 12.10 just before Christmas, but am now a bit hazy on what I did.

Background: running Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon on a dual boot Mac Mini (early 2009).

I found the official Canon drivers here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010756.asp and opt for Debian Linux Print Drivers (3.2). I save it to my Downloads folder in my home folder and unpack by clicking and accepting in the GUI.

I find a script called install.sh and run from the terminal. The output is pasted below:

Code: Select all

$ bash install.sh
==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.20-1 for Linux
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2009
All Rights Reserved.

Execution command = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package cnijfilter-common.
(Reading database ... 162160 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cnijfilter-common (from .../cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cnijfilter-common (3.20-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Execution command = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package cnijfilter-mp560series.
(Reading database ... 162176 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cnijfilter-mp560series (from .../cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-mp560series:
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libfontconfig1 (>= 2.3.0).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.3).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libtiff4.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libx11-6.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxext6.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxfixes3.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxi6.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxinerama1.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxml2 (>= 2.6.24).
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxrandr2.
 cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libxrender1.

dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-mp560series (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cnijfilter-mp560series
Execution command = sudo dpkg -P cnijfilter-common
(Reading database ... 162375 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cnijfilter-common ...
Purging configuration files for cnijfilter-common ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
This does not fill me with optimism, and the Synaptic Package Manager identifies that the new package cnijfilter-mp560series:i386 is 'broken'. In the middle of the output quoted above there is a long list of comments in the form:

cnijfilter-mp560series depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0).

I'm assuming this means that the driver package needs this particular other package to be installed first, and at least version 2.8.0. However, according to the Synaptic Package Manager, all of the dependencies listed are already installed (apart from libtiff4 which I installed with Synaptic before running as above).

I've googled around a bit and no one seems to have the same or similar problems, and no obvious clues how to take this forward.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Clovis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Trouble installing a Canon PIXMA MP560

Post by pdc_2 »

I don't know what to say:

as I check your long line of dependencies, I see my (older) Mint 13 has all the lib files installed; and of recent origin;

I usually source Canon drivers from their Asia site

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 36502.html

and I note for the MP560 series driver it says
MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

Last Updated : 06-Nov-2009
.........so what I conclude from that is the driver is more than three years old; and was released just after Ubuntu 9.10 was released; and so matches Mint 8 called Helena; ( I vaguely remember those days);

.........one finds baffling posts such as yours; then a day or so later the person posts back: "reinstalled complete system: now working perfectly......................"
Clovis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clovis »

Thanks for your comments pdc_2. The puzzling thing is that I too appear to already have all the dependencies installed. However, I have also found a thread on ubuntu forums which has a lot of information:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264928

Aside: this somewhat begs the question why I didn't find this in earlier searches. It occurs to me that maybe I should reconsider my decision to let Mint set yahoo as my default search engine.

The point which immediately leapt out is that the drivers are 32 bit but I have a 64 bit install. After a bit of faffing around with some of the suggestions in the middle of the thread, I started at the beginning and made progress simply by following the advice to install the drivers manually as follows, forcing them to ignore 32/64 bit dillemmas. All you have to do is navigate to the same folder as you downloaded the drivers to and issue the following commands:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb
The fairly unimpressive 'Printers' tool in Mint settings wasn't recognising anything new, but the CUPS interface (accessed through a web browser at location http://localhost:631/) now showed the printer as available. A straightforward install using the obvious options in the CUPS interface. And the printer now shows up in 'Printers', which is also nice.

Unfortunately, I still can't print. I can send items to the printer, but it hangs and CUPS reports "cannot load library". So, I'm now wondering what the --force-architecture option does, exactly, and wondering what the dependencies actually do. I'm wondering if I have 64 bit versions of the dependencies (which might explain why the shell script is reporting them as missing), and wondering if 32 bit versions might be used, either permanently or just to get the printer drivers properly installed. (I'm also wondering what any of these words mean, and if it wouldn't be easier just to bite the bullet and send another shedload of money to Apple for a new Mac, but that's a different question entirely :lol:)

More research required, though I'm going to have to leave it for a couple of days. Any suggestions anyone has in the meantime would be gratefully received.

Regards

Clovis
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

can I suggest you try
sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
and
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64
and for good measure
sudo cp /usr/lib64/libcanon* /usr/lib
and do a restart and see how things look
Clovis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clovis »

Thanks pdc_2.

I thought about your suggestion, and can see some merit in it, though it seems a long shot. I read up on CUPS, but quickly got out of my depth. I read up on packages and dependencies, and similarly soon lost the plot. I had a look through my filesystem to check that the mysterious 'missing' dependencies really do exist. They do.

I had another look at the downloaded driver packages. This time, I found the documentation folder and managed to open and read it! Okay, it was as easy as navigating through the folder guidemp560series-pd-3.20-1_en and clicking on the file guide_index.htm, but all of this is confusing for a novice. I didn't learn a whole lot directly useful either, but I suppose it all adds up towards greater understanding about what is going on.

I even rebooted my system. :lol:

So I'm staring blankly at the folder with the downloaded driver packages, and think, why don't I just try running the install.sh shell script again? So I do, from the terminal, and this time it works - it takes me through a few questions about naming the printer and if I'm connecting over USB or wireless, etc. And, now I can print! :mrgreen:

For the record, I should admit that as part of the faffing about referenced in my second post, I had made one or perhaps two edits of the install.sh script, in line with instructions found somewhere in the mass of information in or linked from the main ubuntu forum thread linked to in my second post. I can't find the changes now, but think they were again something to do with forcing the use of 32/64 bit issues. To be honest, I might even have redownloaded the drivers so that I ultimately ran the unmodified script.

For the benefit of anyone interested, I did find a useful little utility which is included with the drivers (where mp560lan is the name I assigned to my printer):

cngpijmonmp560 mp560lan
This gives a neat little GUI status box for your printer. Apparently I need to buy some new black ink. It locks your terminal window while it's running but that's not a big problem.

Many thanks again to pdc_2, even just the moral support of knowing someone is taking an interest is very helpful to someone taking their first steps in the magic world of linux.

Clovis
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble installing a Canon PIXMA MP560 [SOLVED]

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Clovis;

........I was intrigued that your first post mentioned bash install.sh and I don't know why it all didn't work first time. I assumed you had more linux knowledge; I wouldn't have known to use it. If I offer folks advice on how to install, I offer command line stuff to copy and paste into a terminal and for my MG3100 it just worked effortlessly to run install.sh

thanks for the findings on cngpijmon monitor: I must research this more; I did not know of this before now. Keep in touch with the forum; I am sure you can be very helpful ..to yourself......and others..............as you seem very structured.. and logical...and most importantly..........patient and tenacious !!

best wishes
joshyelon

Post by joshyelon »

Thanks for doing all this research! I'm going to summarize this whole thread as a series of steps.

* Update your package lists:

sudo apt-get update

* Download the driver package from http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 36502.html

* Untar the archive.

* Install the first package. This will most likely generate an error message about missing packages: that's OK!

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb

* Install the missing packages:

sudo apt-get install -f

* Install the second package. Again, this will generate an error message about missing packages: that's OK!

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb

* Again, install the missing packages:

sudo apt-get install -f

* Turn on your networked printer.

* Run the install script that came with the download. Follow the instructions provided by the script:

sudo install.sh

That should do it! Then, to view your print status:

cngpijmonmp560 mp560lan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

hmmmmmmm

If I read you correctly, you are saying you assume these are the steps:

when you finish with
cngpijmonmp560 mp560lan
you may not have seen clovis's comment before he quoted this............he said..............
where mp560lan is the name I assigned to my printer)
JLC Nomad

Post by JLC Nomad »

Thanks for the detailed explanation of what you did. Unfortunately, I followed the same steps and when I run install.sh, I get:

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.20-1 for Linux
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2009
All Rights Reserved.

Error! The appropriate package is not found in the appropriate directory.

Total newbie question, but how do I move packages to the appropriate directory? I confirmed that they exist, but I am so new I can't tell where they are.

Thanks!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you don't tell us if you have installed 32bit or 64bit:

I have included a screenshot of the debian drivers that Canon packages for you; you can see they are 32bit :

if you

1)copy and paste 2 symbolic links into a terminal
sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
and
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64
and then

2) open the MP560.tar.gz package from your desktop; right-click and open with archive manager; then open the packages folder; and then

3) right-click on the COMMON package and select "install with gdebi installer"

and then

4) right-click on the MP560 package and select "install with gdebi installer"

......that should install the driver;

........if you want help with installing ScanGearMP which is the programme Canon supplies to run the scanner, let us know
JLC Nomad

Post by JLC Nomad »

Thank you. I have 64 bit. I'll have to try this and see if it works before taking on the scanning functions.

Fingers crossed.
JLC Nomad

Post by JLC Nomad »

Update: It worked, and I'm able to print a test page. Thank you for the assistance.

Of course, now I'm curious as to why it worked. Was is that the symbolic links made the system recognize the 32 bit drivers as 64? Sorry for the complete newbie question...I am taking my very tentative first steps into Linux.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Linux printing support from Canon is average for 32bit but very poor (if existent) regarding native 64bit. Fortunately, any modern 64bit distro can run 32bit software.

Canon drivers are packaged and maintained by Michael Gruz => http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon-stable/
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Dear JLC, as I understand it, the 32bit thinks to look in eg /usr/lib whereas with 64bit it should look in /usr/lib64 .........it needs to be directed to /usr/lib64 ....most wives who re-arrange sock drawers would instantly recognise this quandary.........
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

I am referring to this http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Canon :) Many of their drivers are a few years old and most printers won't work perfectly under Linux even with the right driver if it exists. Michael Gruz does a great job to go where Canon doesn't.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

merci eanfrid;
Michael Gruz does a great job to go where Canon doesn't.
au contraire.......I thought that Micheal harvested the drivers that Canon supply; and put all that he could into one ppa;
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Hi folks!

I do not have the cngpijmonmp560 and mp560lan files in my system. I have Michael's ppa in my sources.lst.

By what I've seen on [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/[/url] , Michael has more than one ppa related with Canon printing. Could I be using the incorrect one?

From where did you get these files?

Thanks!
Bye for now,
Bruno

(Always backup before you screw up :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”