Need better icons desperately

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Need better icons desperately

Post by vistad »

I am tired of bad icons... Currently I use kNeu icons, because they looked the least disgusting. But this theme has very poor document icons. The .pdf documents icons look exactly the same as .iso file icons - pale grey squares. Windows was great in icons. Can anybody tell me how to create and add an icon to the existing set? Or maybe someone can suggest a good icon theme? I don't want themes with heavy graphics - just enough to tell one file type from another.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
passerby

Re: Need better icons desperately

Post by passerby »

I don't mind the Human icon theme, but I usually wind up using Slyd or Azenis.
Human should be in the repos. Slyd and Azenis are on gnome-look.org IIRC (though a google search would work too).
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Look for "faenza", "faience" and "Elementary-sky-blue". IMO these are the best looking icon sets. I am currently using Elementary-sky-blue-cinnamon on either Cinnamon or MATE.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have been using Gnome-Brave. I like it.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

I like the Numix set. Currently using Numix Circle.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

Pacifica: http://bokehlicia.deviantart.com/art/Pacifica-Icons-402508559
Nitrux: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Nitrux+OS+Icons?content=154496
or choose another set here http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=high&page=0&xcontentmode=121
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

I am using Debian Mint Cinnamon and would like to try some of these icons. I have tried to use the terminal prompts for the ppa but I can't get it work. I even download the file and try and use Gdebi to install it but does not work. How can I install these icons on my computer?
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

1. open the .deb as an archive and copy the files to their proper location manually.

2.Pacifica: go to deviantart and download the .zip file, open as archive, copy contents to desktop. Move the pacifica folder to ~/.icons/

Nitrux: Download https://launchpad.net/~upubuntu-com/+ar ... .4a.tar.gz its a link to the current build of nitrux on launchpad in tar.gz. open/extract the Nitrux and Nitrux Buttons folders to desktop.
move Nitrux and Nitrux Buttons folder to ~/.icons/

enjoy
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Take a look at [url=http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/themes-collection-for-ubuntu-1110-unity.html#icons]Noobslab's collection[/url]. The icon section is at the bottom. I am partial to NouveGnome and Awoken, but there's something to like for everybody. There are clear instructions for installing.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

hexdef101 wrote:1. open the .deb as an archive and copy the files to their proper location manually.

2.Pacifica: go to deviantart and download the .zip file, open as archive, copy contents to desktop. Move the pacifica folder to ~/.icons/

Nitrux: Download https://launchpad.net/~upubuntu-com/+ar ... .4a.tar.gz its a link to the current build of nitrux on launchpad in tar.gz. open/extract the Nitrux and Nitrux Buttons folders to desktop.
move Nitrux and Nitrux Buttons folder to ~/.icons/

enjoy
Sorry for my ignorance, but where is the icons file? I have looked through the file system and can't find it.
passerby

Post by passerby »

jr121705 wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but where is the icons file? I have looked through the file system and can't find it.
~ means your home directory.
A "." preceding a file/folder name means it is hidden.
So ~/.icons/ is a hidden folder in your home directory.

In other words, open your file manager (should default to your home directory), press ctrl + H to display hidden files, and look for the folder .icons.
If it doesn't exist, create it, then follow the previous instructions.

Edit: by "~" I mean the tilde used previously. It appears as a hyphen on my computer o.O
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

Okay, I followed the above directions to download and placed the 'Nitrux' and 'Nitrux-Buttons' files in the .icon file. I had to create the icons file because it did not My problem is now that Nitrux is not showing up on my list of icons. For me to change the icons I go to the themes section in system settings and then click on the 'other settings' tab. All my icons that I have installed through the terminal are there, but not Nitrux. Is there some other way of getting them to show up on that list of icons? Or am I doing something wrong?
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

first thing there is a difference between Folders and Files. I am assuming you are using files generically here so I ain't gonna go into it.

If you followed the directions precisely, then they should be showing up. Of course you may have to restart your system as the .icons folder wasn't in your home folder originally. that said as long as the .icons folder is in your home folder then they should show up. of course you can try the terminal method but the way I told you is easier.

move the nitrux and nitrux-buttons folders back to the desktop first, or redownload the whole set again and follow previous instructions up to that point. delete your .icons folder [shift] + [Del] with just .icons selected. Don't want to bork your system.

Open Terminal

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.icons 
mv ~/Desktop/NITRUX ~/.icons/
mv ~/Desktop/NITRUX-Buttons ~/.icons/
remember that linux is CASE SENSITIVE if you don't have the case correct, the system will not recognize the .icons folder

you can also place icons sets at Root level by placing them in the /usr/share/icons folder. this is the place Gdebi/Synaptic/Apt-Get installs to if you are using them. you need to open this folder as root to place anything here though
Last edited by hexdef101 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

I have tested this out with the folders in question, and the nitrux icon sets work perfectly.

right click Panel ... Settings ▶ Themes

Other Settings Icon theme

select NITRUX in the pull down menu
jr121705

Re: .

Post by jr121705 »

hexdef101 wrote:If you followed the directions precisely, then they should be showing up.
That was the problem, I didn't follow them precisely. I named the folder 'icon' not 'icons', so once I renamed it 'icons' it showed up on the list.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

glad I could help

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”