Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon released!

Post by jcoles »

I have been happily using Mint 14 for months now and was just ready to upgrade to 15 when 16 was released.

The new login screen is rather sluggish and plays havoc with hypervisor environments. In VirtualBox, it's barely tolerable. I also tried KVM and Xen, both really difficult and buggy environments suffering extreme lagginess, and even inaccuracy in mouse movement. KVM was just slower than VirtualBox. In Xen, however, the login screen has never shown a login box and the mouse pointer is stuck in the middle of the screen and can't be moved. To fix that problem, I had to edit /etc/mdm/mdm.conf from the command line to switch to a more responsive login screen. All of my installs have been switched back to the GDM style of login window with the Elegance theme.

I'm going to have to try the 64-bit version on the bare metal as an upgrade from my Mint 14 install.
zolix

Post by zolix »

I just installed this new Cinnamon version a few days ago.
Very impressive. Thank you.
Till now no real issues found.
Regards, sipizolix
ElliveN

Post by ElliveN »

Loaded 16 Cinnamon 64 bit on my old box and it's working very well. I do, really do do do miss the screensaver of Mate and of many previous linux distro's that enable me to display my photos when I'm not at the keyboard and I note this has been mentioned elsewhere in posts.

I know you have intention to meet this deficit. Perleeze, perleeze soon.!!!

I see the always accurate and respected Deoimedo has given us 10/10 for this release and certainly i agree it's pretty good except for aforementioned screensaver...

Thank you and a very Happy Christmas to you all from sunny Tauranga in New Zealand :-)
GamesBond
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GamesBond »

Install from usb flash drive did not work, installer always crashes
at: Checking cdrom drive. :((((
But worked fine when i burned iso to cd (Cinnamon 64bit)

Will there be a respin of the iso's? I have several computers without cdrom drive
NM5TF

Post by NM5TF »

#GamesBond.......did you get a lot of error messages ??? if so, can you post them ??

I used my SanDisk Cruzer USB stick to install Linux Mint 16 & Ubuntu 14.04 recently
without any problems at all....

Wonder what app you used to load the USB stick.....I used USB Image Writer....

Was the stick formatted as NTFS or EXT 3/4 ???

Tommy
KAMI911

Post by KAMI911 »

Hi Folks,

We have updated the translation is of the Hungarian version of Petra. Are there any chance to create updated L10n packs and make them available in the repo?
rogerb1583

Post by rogerb1583 »

Experimenting with various distros over the past week or on a new to me Lenovo Thinkpad T410. Started with Xubnutu and enjoyed it. So far Petra is really sweet! Everything works and easy to use. Semi newbie to Linux and stoked! The starup sounds and all works great. This laptop seems to like this version of mint. Thanks for the wonderful software! Now I need to install it on my Dell-asaurus in the back room.
Shorty007

Post by Shorty007 »

Hi all,

I was wondering: is there something changed since Mint 13? Mint was working well on my pc but 14, 15 and 16 won work.
After booting, it crashes. I think itś my videocard but don;t have the time to do anything after boot.

My pc:
64 bit
AMD Athlon II X2
X2 250
Aantal processoren: 2
Kloksnelheid 3 GHz
3 GB werkgeheugen DDR3
Videokaart: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE
Videokaartgeheugen: Totaal tot 1407 MB
Scherm: 22 inch, 1920x1080

Or is there a really good and very stable linux distro? Iḿ also fan of Elementary os but it's not stable enough at this moment. Ubuuntu is slow on my pc.. Now i'm on Xubuntu but also not running very stable :(

PLEASEEEE can someone help me???
Thank you.
NissanNut

Post by NissanNut »

I just installed 16 and afters years on mint 13 mate on my desktop. Wow I am loving 16!!! So nice and fast and no issues at all.

I love all the differences. Xlnt work everybody I have to start donating money now.
Njitsss

Post by Njitsss »

Shorty007 wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering: is there something changed since Mint 13? Mint was working well on my pc but 14, 15 and 16 won work.
After booting, it crashes. I think itś my videocard but don;t have the time to do anything after boot.

Perhaps the same thing I always encounter on my computer: The NVidia drivers require the kernel headers to be installed.
Try to get in a console (crtl-alt-F4 for example)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Than reboot, and it is fixed on my computer.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Shorty007 wrote:I think itś my videocard but don;t have the time to do anything after boot.
Don't think videocard. Have exact same videocard. Not needed to do anything special about it. :)
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Shorty007 wrote:I was wondering: is there something changed since Mint 13? Mint was working well on my pc but 14, 15 and 16 won work.

Or is there a really good and very stable linux distro? Iḿ also fan of Elementary os but it's not stable enough at this moment. Ubuuntu is slow on my pc.. Now i'm on Xubuntu but also not running very stable :(
Unfortunately there's no silver bullet in Linux. Mint 13 is supported until 2017, so if that worked well for you I'd switch to that. You could also try Crunchbang.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Petra backports available in Linux Mint 13 http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2524 and this means you can keep using Linux Mint 13 while getting the latest Cinnamon version :D :D :D
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Shorty007 wrote: Or is there a really good and very stable linux distro?
PLEASEEEE can someone help me???
Thank you.
You could give Puppy Linux a try. It's usually very good with older hardware and quite slick nowadays.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
AndrioZite

Post by AndrioZite »

i am so impresive of this version, better :D
sashaMint

Post by sashaMint »

I have the same problem, unfortuanalty I chose this os to be my working machine and then I discover this problem after set everthing. This looks like must fix ASAP problem.
Should I wait for fix or move to Ubuntu or lower mint version?
vikram407

Post by vikram407 »

hello there,
i am using virtual workstation for installing latest Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon on 64bit windows 7 os.
so i followed the steps correctly given in user guide.
but when i power on this linux mint version.
after reboot it shows like some terminated task type messages like " Kernel not syncing : attempted to kill the idle task".
so plz help me , i am totally new person for linux , and am so excited to use it on my laptop.
mkuser

Post by mkuser »

Thanx for great linux distro.
And congrats for the Linux Mint team.
This distro is the one which made me to comeback and look for the linux distro after 10 years.
But Ihave two things against it.
1) white fonts in green background are not visible.(selected text)
2)Cant keep desktop icons aligned.(Gnome feature of dektop icon arrangement)
Can you fix these?.
So Ihave shifted to KDE version.
Here I have one problem Emerlad themes dont have blur effect. Is there any configuration required?.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Duplicate post by mkuser removed.
pixelplus

Post by pixelplus »

hey all,

well done with Petra 16 :) really good distro :) Its on both of my laptops now as the only one OS and both work great :)

Pros:
+ speed,
+ stability,
+ slick UI, 100% customizable, just loving default sound effects of in/out usb,
+ (extremely) low memory consumption (512 MB out of 8GB used according to free -m command, running cinnamon % ff),
+ putting upgrading notification in the taskbar was brilliant idea,
+ quick & (extremely) easy to install.

Cons:
- so far none..... :)

Well done Mint Team :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”