Always choose "keep file" (as opposed to "install new versio

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
triplemaya
Level 2
Level 2

Always choose "keep file" (as opposed to "install new versio

Post by triplemaya »

Hi. Just installed a fresh LMDE. Looking good!

Having done the install, I thought to bring the system up to date. Subsequently I discover this involved Update Pack 7. Which seems all to the good - it took a while!

During the install I was asked for certain key files if I wanted to keep the older file or install the new version. I chose new version, having not had access to the UP7 info at this point. I am assuming that since this was a new file this was the correct thing to do. I am asking if this was correct - not that I am going to do all that again, but in case I come across the same situation in future. For a new install, is it best to install the new version of the files when asked?

(I have searched this forum for Always choose "keep file" but nothing is coming up.)

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dancingdog777

Re: Always choose "keep file" (as opposed to "install new ve

Post by dancingdog777 »

I'm new to LMDE too but have used ordinary Mint for several years.

I think the answer should be 'if it works don't fix it', in other words keep the old file.
eanfrid

Re: Always choose "keep file" (as opposed to "install new ve

Post by eanfrid »

When you choose "new version" over the older (current) one, you indeed install default config files shipped with the new version and overwrite any current (custom or already working and) configured parameters. Installing the "new version" is not the correct default choice for updates.

Return to “LMDE Archive”