<SOLVED> Best file system for an external hard drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wanderer7

<SOLVED> Best file system for an external hard drive

Post by wanderer7 »

Hello people,

I have a 500 GB external hard drive, which I want to use for backups. Since I'm not the only one in the family who's going to use it, I want to make sure that both Linux Mint and Windows (hopefully, one day there won't be any windows pc left in my house :lol:) can read and write data to the disk. Theoretically, I could make several partitions on the disk: one for linux and others for windows. However, I don't know if it is a good idea to have different file systems on the same disk. Probably, I will encrypt the hard drive as well.

So, what's the best file system for this situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Best file system for an external hard drive

Post by SiKing »

I have the same situation as you.
Assuming the disk will be _only_ for backups, then partition it 50/50 NTFS/ext2.
HTH.
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

Thank you, SiKing. :D
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

Hmm...I forgot to ask one more question. :? Will I be able to recover backed up files from another computer running linux? Sometimes, I have file permission problems, like :"you are not the owner of the file, you don't have permission to <and some action here>. Is this associated to certain file systems? (If not, then I'll ask this question in another topic :wink: )
wanderer7

Re: <SOLVED> Best file system for an external hard drive

Post by wanderer7 »

All right, I marked this as solved. I followed the advice above and created 2 partitions on the external hard drive with 2 different file systems: 1 in NTFS and 1 in ext4. I chose ext4 instead of ext2, because ext2 is too old and without journaling. My last question about file permissions doesn't belong here, later I'll make another topic for it.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: <SOLVED> Best file system for an external hard drive

Post by SiKing »

wanderer7 wrote:I chose ext4 instead of ext2, because ext2 is too old and without journaling.
For backups only, journaling is a waste of space.

Return to “Hardware Support”