Forced check on partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Forced check on partitions

Post by red-e-made »

Sooner or later, it happens, from time to time. The browser freezes, the cursor won't move, the screen is just frozen. For whatever reason (Compiz, I'm looking at you), you need to just lean on the power button until the machine shuts down, and then restart. When this has happened to me, here's what happens:

A check is forced on my root/boot partition. Then another restart is forced. Then a check is forced on the five remaining partitions I have.

Is there a way this can be skipped? More importantly, would skipping it damage my machine?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nomad

Re: Forced check on partitions

Post by Nomad »

I have always skipped it without a problem. Hasn't messed my computer up yet. (yet)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

What version of Mint are you using? In Elyssa you can skip the check by simply hitting the escape key. Of course each time you boot the computer it's going to keep wanting to do it until you finally allow it, but the option to skip is always there. In Daryna I believe you are stuck waiting it out.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Lantesh wrote:What version of Mint are you using? In Elyssa you can skip the check by simply hitting the escape key. Of course each time you boot the computer it's going to keep wanting to do it until you finally allow it, but the option to skip is always there. In Daryna I believe you are stuck waiting it out.
I'm using Daryna. I figured the machine might continue wanting to force check. Ah, well. For good measure I unchecked a bunch of options in Compiz. Sorely tempted to try Elyssa 048. Think I just might.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Red-e-made said:
For whatever reason (Compiz, I'm looking at you), you need to just lean on the power button until the machine shuts down, and then restart. When this has happened to me, here's what happens:
The way I get out of one of these frozen states, when a norm reboot can't be initiated, is to:
1. Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys.
2. While holding those down, type the following in order. Nothing will appear to happen until the last letter is pressed: REISUB
3. Watch your computer reboot magically.

I've used it since reading about it on this forum. It was way back when I didn't think to save the source post. Anyway here's the original post. It still works even for Elyssa.
REISUB - How to Reboot a Frozen System

Came across this when looking through the PCLinuxOS forums -

http://fosswire.com/2007/09/08/fix-a-fr ... ysrq-keys/

Quote from the site:-

You finally got your Linux environment to crash. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does nothing, nor do the F-keys. You know you shouldn’t have installed that bad driver, but you did it anyway.

So you reach for the power button.

Stop.

Mashing in the power button to reboot could cause a problem if your hard drive is still being written to, and usually causes more problems than it solves. The Linux kernel includes a secret method of restarting your PC should it ever stop doing its job.

2. While holding those down, type the following in order. Nothing will appear to happen until the last letter is pressed: REISUB

What the individual keys do in that sequence are not as important as what it does as a whole: stops all programs, unmounts all drives, and reboots. A lot safer than just cutting the power.

Here it is again: REISUB. Remember that, as it will save you a lot of time when you are configuring a system and something gets messed up. Need a mnemonic? Try Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring.

As an aside, don’t try this if you just want to reboot. A normal reboot, if it can be done, should always be used instead of the REISUB keys.

R-E-I-S-U-B.

Scorp said:
Good tip yes, ..... but not really new. It's a very old trick in fact. But it probably can't harm to repeat those things from time to time so others get a chance to see this too.

And just to make sure everyone understands this:
This is for emergencies only, e.g. when the system absolutely locks up + freezes. This is not to be used on potentially still busy machines (e.g. which are still writing stuff to disk) or on machines that could still do a proper shutdown if you only were patient enough to wait. This is only for systems which have already died a horrible death, e.g. power-cycling them is the only way to get them back to life ..... *Then* and only then you may try your luck and use this.

Besides, I am not really sure this works on Ubuntu-based distros ... I read somewhere that they disabled this per default
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

newW2 wrote: The way I get out of one of these frozen states, when a norm reboot can't be initiated, is to:
Very nice. I could have used this a couple days ago. I've got it committed to memory now for next time.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

newW2 wrote: The way I get out of one of these frozen states, when a norm reboot can't be initiated, is to:
Holy crap. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”