Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Psalmos

Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Post by Psalmos »

The Story:

1. Tried LM 12 to avoid perhaps Windows virus problems - fine at first glance . :wink:
2. Bluetooth denied contact to Planronics PL 20 - Windows had connected on the same machine . :oops:
3. Tried to solve according to post "Bluetooth does not work" in this forum - :?:
4. Restart. And then suddenly a login, which wasn't there before, with an unknown username and password - root password is not accepted :mrgreen:

Is this Linux really designed for hard working people? Then tell me, what happened. Or is it just a playground for geeks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Psalmos wrote:The Story:

1. Tried LM 12 to avoid perhaps Windows virus problems - fine at first glance . :wink:
Obsolete version, why did you try just that version?
Psalmos wrote:
2. Bluetooth denied contact to Planronics PL 20 - Windows had connected on the same machine . :oops:
3. Tried to solve according to post "Bluetooth does not work" in this forum - :?:
Some cheap unstandard device.
Psalmos wrote: 4. Restart. And then suddenly a login, which wasn't there before, with an unknown username and password - root password is not accepted :mrgreen:
Trolling is a bad habit .. :wink:
Psalmos wrote:Is this Linux really designed for hard working people? Then tell me, what happened. Or is it just a playground for geeks?
I have some windowses, but only for testing. Linux is the tool, Windows is a toy .. :wink:
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Psalmos wrote:Is this Linux really designed for hard working people? Then tell me, what happened. Or is it just a playground for geeks?
Maybe if you read just part of the way through this OLD post from four years ago, you'll gain a bit of enlightenment: Where is Linux used in business?

*** Edited out the rest of my post here. Upon further reflection, I probably overreacted and went a bit over-the-top with my response. My apologies to the O.P. ***
Last edited by gold_finger on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

To be fair someone uninformed and no experience with Linux and ask questions.
Shouldn't be thrown in stereotypes groups of people. Or implied they are trolling or clueless.

Yes linux is used in Big Businesses,Little Businesses,Enterprises around the world. It also used extensively in Science from Super-Computers to Nasa's Space Station. Used extensively in School's & Universities. Even European Countries and Cities are changing over to Linux based systems for money savings and security issues.

Trying an older discontinued Linux version like LM 12 may not be the best choice for your particular hardware. As manufactures may write drivers for their hardware specifically for windows. But they don't for linux. Even tho Linux does support a lot of hardware out there. Including a majority of Bluetooth devices.

But Linux is not totally plug & play tho it can be with the right distro choice and happen that your systems hardware is well supported in linux already. Otherwise some problem solving may be required with help from other's in the forums or searching google.

But if you are going to just try one outdated linux version. Then make grand sweeping conclusions about linux. Then maybe sticking with Windows will be the best fit for you. As linux is serious OS in the Scientific & Business world. But as a Desktop OS requires the individual to invest more time to learn and be more responsible in using their desktop. If wanting to just install apps and click away then Linux may not be for you.

Nothing wrong with that and comes down to what is the most comfortable for you to use.
But a serious attempt at Linux requires learning and trying new ways to do things on the desktop. And takes an invest of time to become a more proficient and responsible user.

And yes I use Linux in running Self-Business interfaced with Major Corporations around the globe. I shoot Stock Photography for Getty Images. Supply Images used by Google,Microsoft and many corporations in China,Germany,U.K.,France,Netherlands and good ole USA. And Images are processed and edited with high end serious photo editing software in Linux.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Confining my response to the original poster's question ...

Yes, I have operated a small business (publishing/editing/creative) using Mint for three years and it is perfect for me. For the previous six years I had used other Linuxes (PClinuxOS and SUSE), which had also been very good.

Yes, there has been a learning curve on some issues - yes, I have encountered some hardware (usually scanners) that doesn't work with Linux - yes, I do have an install of Windows XP in VirtualBox which I use to run Adobe InDesign. But you sure can use Linux for business. I find it hard to imagine a better distro for this purpose than Linux Mint's LTS editions - and I've been around in the Linux world for long enough now to make that judgement. :D

PS - good advice in the posts above - try a recent/current release of Mint as I am not sure 12 is supported anymore. Mint 13 has support and updates for three years or so yet.
Psalmos

Post by Psalmos »

1. ...
2. ...
3. Tried to solve ...
4. Restart. And then suddenly ... an unknown username and password -.....

............. Then tell me, what happened. .....
State of the debate, as I experience it:

for everybody Linux is just fine. The fact, that after an ordinary installation of new software (Blueman) there is suddenly no longer access - this doesn't matter.

But for me it remains a problem.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

State of the debate, as I experience it:

for everybody Linux is just fine. The fact, that after an ordinary installation of new software (Blueman) there is suddenly no longer access - this doesn't matter.

But for me it remains a problem.
I suggest that first of all you install a version of Mint that is currently supported (Mint 12 reached end of support April 2013). I would recommend Mint 13 as that will be supported until April 2017. Then I suggest that you make a specific request for help in the hardware support section of this forum, providing details not only of your Bluetooth device but also of the "symptoms" (or lack of them) you noted when you first attempted to get it to connect. That way, someone may be able to help you - and other users may benefit from your experience in future.

As other posters have pointed out, it can take a bit of work to get certain hardware items working in Linux. Any 'blame' for this usually lies squarely with manufacturers for not providing Linux support/drivers etc. themselves, rather than with Linux Mint. There is a wealth of experience in this forum to help deal with problems like this so please take advantage of it.

I am sorry you have had some annoyed replies to your post but this is probably because of your rather sarcastic thread title. The fact that you have had a genuine issue with one specific piece of hardware does not mean that Linux Mint is not fit for "seriously working people". Your post count on this forum (two posts to date) suggests that you haven't yet posted a specific request for help with your issue, so may I suggest that you do so?
Psalmos

Post by Psalmos »

fraxinus_63 wrote:[
I suggest that first of all you install a version of Mint that is currently supported (Mint 12 reached end of support April 2013). I would recommend Mint 13 as that will be supported until April 2017. ...............your rather sarcastic thread title. ....
Thank you for your friendly answer. Meanwhile I restored an image I made with Conezilla some days ago and I saw: It's indeed Mint 13 (Maya) and not Mint 12,as I had told by heart. (I worked with LM 12 before.) And the Plantronics PL 20 is not very important , we can live without it.

My problem is rather to decide, if LM 13 is so stable, that events like this ( no more access to the own computer) are very seldom or not. It means: can we migrate the email traffic of our company to Linux to avoid virus problems a little bit better, or do we get even more serious problems in other areas. That is exactly the question of the title. It may sound a bit sarcastic, but it isn't. If it's a risk, we will remain with Windows - not because if being completely unfamiliar with Linux by the way.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Considering that getting the work I need done is done fastest in Linux (about 50x faster than Windows and a similar margin for OSX), before I start playing around with my box, I would say that Linux is designed for hard working people.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Considering I have used and supported Windows from 3.0 through 7 (I have refused so far to support 8 or 8.1), and have used Linux personally from December 2007, I believe I may contribute to this discussion.

@Psalmos: IMHO, you have it the wrong way around. Linux/BSD based systems are for those who want to get serious work done with their computer systems and will buy their hardware from the supported products lists because Windows and especially Windows Server editions are more for those who have a lot of time to play around with single user systems which play around with adding some multi-user support. Even the Windows NT branch of Windows (NT, XP, Vista, through 8.1 ) still do not take security seriously by default and are magnets for viruses and other malware.

Even Apple computers, which have dropped processor architecture 3 times in recent history (first 6502, then 68000 family, PowerPC, and finally Intel Pentium family) have a BSD UNIX based operating system which is far, far superior to Windows, although their closed hardware and software are much too expensive for their performance value. :( If you want to see how POSIX based systems can work if the proper hardware is chosen, look at a Mac based network in comparison to a Windows based network. The majority of Mac hardware actually IS plug-and-play with few problems under the proper OS X system. Don't get me wrong, I have supported small-business systems, not large networks, and Macs aren't found in large server farms. But then, the majority of large server farms seem to be running Linux. :D
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Psalmos wrote:
fraxinus_63 wrote:[
I suggest that first of all you install a version of Mint that is currently supported (Mint 12 reached end of support April 2013). I would recommend Mint 13 as that will be supported until April 2017. ...............your rather sarcastic thread title. ....
Thank you for your friendly answer. Meanwhile I restored an image I made with Conezilla some days ago and I saw: It's indeed Mint 13 (Maya) and not Mint 12,as I had told by heart. (I worked with LM 12 before.) And the Plantronics PL 20 is not very important , we can live without it.

My problem is rather to decide, if LM 13 is so stable, that events like this ( no more access to the own computer) are very seldom or not. It means: can we migrate the email traffic of our company to Linux to avoid virus problems a little bit better, or do we get even more serious problems in other areas. That is exactly the question of the title. It may sound a bit sarcastic, but it isn't. If it's a risk, we will remain with Windows - not because if being completely unfamiliar with Linux by the way.
Viruses in email are an issue for the computer receiving the email when attachments are opened. The servers in between shouldn't be infected. The servers may be the target of hacking, however. This is where Linux can shine. There are many, many tools to protect Linux servers from attack.

As for stability and predictability, servers are usually based on old and well-tested distros, such as Debian stable. The hardware is also less of an issue, since you are unlikely to be plugging printers and Bluetooth devices into a server. In fact, headless servers running Linux are commonplace. As long as you choose compatible and appropriate hardware, you will very rarely have problems with Linux.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Psalmos wrote: Thank you for your friendly answer ... My problem is rather to decide, if LM 13 is so stable, that events like this ( no more access to the own computer) are very seldom or not. It means: can we migrate the email traffic of our company to Linux to avoid virus problems a little bit better, or do we get even more serious problems in other areas.
And thanks for your reply. I am certainly not making light of what you have reported. I very much hope that you can resolve what happened and continue your exploration of Mint.

I would describe myself as a very experienced user of many Linux flavours. My technical knowledge of what is going on under the hood is quite limited so I am not able to comment on what's happened to you here. However in nine years of using Linux all day, every day I have never come across the kind of situation that you describe except on one occasion, years ago, when using a version of SUSE which was well known for its flakiness. I attempted to login as root and got a "you don't exist" message, which annoyed me somewhat. Fortunately the next time I tried everything was fine. :)

I suggest you post a hardware query describing exactly what happened and see if that helps resolve the situation.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Strange issue... In every distribution my Bluetooth was working fine BUT on Windows not. I can't get why yours is not working. The only way to explain this: Too old Mint release or exotic hardware. :?
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

Orbmiser wrote:To be fair someone uninformed and no experience with Linux and ask questions.
Shouldn't be thrown in stereotypes groups of people. Or implied they are trolling or clueless.

Yes linux is used in Big Businesses,Little Businesses,Enterprises around the world. It also used extensively in Science from Super-Computers to Nasa's Space Station. Used extensively in School's & Universities. Even European Countries and Cities are changing over to Linux based systems for money savings and security issues.

Trying an older discontinued Linux version like LM 12 may not be the best choice for your particular hardware. As manufactures may write drivers for their hardware specifically for windows. But they don't for linux. Even tho Linux does support a lot of hardware out there. Including a majority of Bluetooth devices.

But Linux is not totally plug & play tho it can be with the right distro choice and happen that your systems hardware is well supported in linux already. Otherwise some problem solving may be required with help from other's in the forums or searching google.

But if you are going to just try one outdated linux version. Then make grand sweeping conclusions about linux. Then maybe sticking with Windows will be the best fit for you. As linux is serious OS in the Scientific & Business world. But as a Desktop OS requires the individual to invest more time to learn and be more responsible in using their desktop. If wanting to just install apps and click away then Linux may not be for you.

Nothing wrong with that and comes down to what is the most comfortable for you to use.
But a serious attempt at Linux requires learning and trying new ways to do things on the desktop. And takes an invest of time to become a more proficient and responsible user.

And yes I use Linux in running Self-Business interfaced with Major Corporations around the globe. I shoot Stock Photography for Getty Images. Supply Images used by Google,Microsoft and many corporations in China,Germany,U.K.,France,Netherlands and good ole USA. And Images are processed and edited with high end serious photo editing software in Linux.
Hello.

Although it's a little off-topic, I've seen yor post and I have a question. I'm a recent Linux user (with Linux Mint 15) and I'm searching about photography software in Linux. Before, in Windows, I used Lightroom and I'm searching a Linux software which is similar to Lightroom. I think the two most similar right now may be DigiKam and Darktable, but they lack some functions I use often in Lightroom, such as local editing.

I'd like to know a little what photo software you use in Linux and/or a little of your workflow, and if you know any soft with local editing similar to Lightroom. I'm not used to layer system which could be used in Gimp, for instance.

Best regards.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well darktable added quite a few new features recently.
http://www.darktable.org/2013/12/releas ... table-1-4/
Tho not in the regular repo's yet.

Also have run Lightroom 3.6 in Virtualbox. Runs but generating thumbs and loading preview is slow due to only a dual-core and 4gb of ram. Which leaves 1 core and only 2gb's for VM running Win7 & Lightroom 3.6

Some links of some software covered.
http://scribblesandsnaps.com/linux-tool ... ographers/
http://xmodulo.com/2013/05/what-is-good ... linux.html

At present with older system can't really run Lightroom 4 or 5 even on my dual boot setup.
But when needing to edit then boot to Win7 and run Lightroom native from there.

As darktable is still overwhelming and steep learning curve and just haven't had the time to invest in learning it well.

Darktable 1.1.2 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Have gotten some editing done on it. But a lot of guessimating and playing with to achieve results.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?details=1 ... =darktable

Maybe this year will find the time to learn darktable and even dabble in some Gimp.
As Gimp 2.10 is suppose to have some photographer specific features added at some point.
Lazy and Stupid

Post by Lazy and Stupid »

4. Restart. And then suddenly a login, which wasn't there before, with an unknown username and password - root password is not accepted :mrgreen:

Is this Linux really designed for hard working people? Then tell me, what happened. Or is it just a playground for geeks?
Psalmos:

First off, on behalf of the normal people on this forum, I want to apologize to you for the rude treatment you received from the religious zealots here who make personal attacks on anyone with the temerity to question the supremecy of LINUX. Having said that LINUX Mint is absolutely not anything you can use in business unless you have an in-house expert. As you said it is a playground for geeks, and perhaps small businesses where someone has the expertise to deal with problems.

The problem is not the operating system. LINUX Mint is unquestionably the finest operating system out there in terms of operability, security, ease of installation, flexibility, cost and intangible things to that don't contribute to your bottom line. The problem is a lack of support. There is no company supporting Mint that I know of. To gain all those advantages listed above requires a great deal of knowledge. So yes Mint would work for some businesses as witnesed by other posts here, but for you, based on my analysis of your post it would not.

But LINUX could work for you with a distribution that has a large reliable company like IBM or Red Hat supporting it. So for you, I recommend Fedora or better, Red Hat Enterprise. You absolutely must have support and these forums (any forum) do not constitute support for anyone who cannot wait a week for a solution that may or may not work. This is why the company where I work, even though they have a very large IT deptartment, still has a support contract with Red Hat. I checked out the annual support costs for a small business and it is more than reasonable. Its a downright bargain!

Now I don't use Fedora. I use Mint because in my opinion it is a superior product for the sort of work I do. But I have 40 years of computer ooperating experience. I can usually fix most problems. If I had a business it would be insane for me, who would rely on the computer for income, to not have a support contract, even with the level of experience that I have.

Ubuntu also provides very inexpensive support contracts for small businesses through Canonical. I have no experience or knowledge of the quality. I have dealt with Red Hat, and they are simply outstanding. Unfortunately I can't call them at work about my Mint problems at home! :D

I do recommend LINUX over Windows because Microsoft licensing requirements are onerous and require you to give up control of your computer to Microsoft. If you are in business, it doesn't sound like it is big enough to qualify for Microsofts special deals for corporations. So I believe for small guys, LINUX is your only viable and most cost effective option. But you absolutely, positively need one where you can buy support.

Clem and his crew can decide to quit tomorrow and there is no garuantee that anyone will be around to pick up the peices. For a business that's too big a risk. Of course that is true for a business such as Red Hat or Canonical also, but it is far less likely to happen than an individual deciding they don't want to work for free anymore. Especially for a publically traded companies. If Clem ever starts a business and provides paid support then of course LINUX Mint would be the hands down best choice in my opinion.

I fully expect now that I will receive multiple personal attacks as is the custom for LINUX forums, but I can assure you that what I am telling you is sound business advice. By the way, the reason I changed my logon to "Lazy and Stupid" is because I was told I was lazy and stupid by a LINUX Guru for wanting to use a GUI instead of typing gibberish on the command line. :lol:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Lazy and Stupid wrote:
I fully expect now that I will receive multiple personal attacks as is the custom for LINUX forums, but I can assure you that what I am telling you is sound business advice. By the way, the reason I changed my logon to "Lazy and Stupid" is because I was told I was lazy and stupid by a LINUX Guru for wanting to use a GUI instead of typing gibberish on the command line. :lol:
Not at all Sound advice and serious considerations when running a business.
And why I'm dual booting with Win7 making a slow transition as can't afford downtime due to some of the peculiarities of Linux.

And don't let the few zealots and fanboys without manners give you that glass mostly empty feeling with dealing with forums.
There is always those 1-3 out of 10 that need give themselves the ego-boost on a regular basis. And isn't unique to Linux forums.
Just about any subject those types abound.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Hello.

Although it's a little off-topic, I've seen yor post and I have a question. I'm a recent Linux user (with Linux Mint 15) and I'm searching about photography software in Linux. Before, in Windows, I used Lightroom and I'm searching a Linux software which is similar to Lightroom. I think the two most similar right now may be DigiKam and Darktable, but they lack some functions I use often in Lightroom, such as local editing.

I'd like to know a little what photo software you use in Linux and/or a little of your workflow, and if you know any soft with local editing similar to Lightroom. I'm not used to layer system which could be used in Gimp, for instance.

Best regards.
~~
my favorite graphics program for MINT is Gwenview. This is a browser type program that is excellent at browsing thru directories and also at displaying images (including some video e.g. .mov) it includes fundamentals -- cropping, re-sizing, rename, delete -- accepts plug-ins (not sure what-all though ) . it does allow me to link to GIMP, or Raw Therapee, or KolourPaint. I would use Raw Therapee for exposure or color correction and GIMP for re-touching . I'm not a photoshop/lightroom guy so I won't make any compares. so these are just a few notes on the stuff that i do.

i like OpenShot as a video editor.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

@mike acker: You would get a better response if you start a new topic.

That said, have you looked at LightZone? http://lifehacker.com/lightzone-is-a-fr ... 1445640040
chris2kari

Post by chris2kari »

I've been an admirer & proponent of Linux for 20 years. Sad to say DESKTOP LINUX is still a disaster.
Its fine for setting up a little server but I'm giving up on it as a desktop & switching to Macs for desktop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Return to “Chat about Linux”