Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

dolphin/network/samba shares shows workgroup but I can't use

Post by badams_ios »

I have 2 windows machines, a NAS (Qnap) running a flavor of Linux and one Linus mint 16 KDE, all in the same workgroup. Yes, I've told smb.comf the name of the workgroup. When I go to dolphin, samba shares it shows my workgroup name: Ge!, but when I click on it it does absolutely nothing. When I do smbtree it lists the Qnap and all it's shares, but for the windows machines it shows only \\genas. See below:

cave-man@Man-Cave:~ > smbtree Enter cave-man's password: GE! \\MAN-CAVE Man-Cave server (Samba, Linux Mint) \\MAN-CAVE\print$ Printer Drivers \\MAN-CAVE\IPC$ IPC Service (Man-Cave server (Samba, Linux Mint)) \\GEQNAP NAS Server \\GEQNAP\Qmultimedia System default share \\GEQNAP\Qdownload System default share \\GEQNAP\Qrecordings System default share \\GEQNAP\Qweb System default share \\GEQNAP\Qusb System default share \\GEQNAP\Public System default share \\GEQNAP\Network Recycle Bin 1 [Strip Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4] \\GEQNAP\GEmine Terabyte Backups \\GEQNAP\GENAS Terabyte Backups \\GEQNAP\GECookn Terabyte Backups \\GEQNAP\Syncovery Backups \\GEQNAP\ALL GENas \\GEQNAP\FTP \\GEQNAP\homes System default share \\GEQNAP\home Home \\GEQNAP\IPC$ IPC Service (NAS Server) \\GENAS \\GECOOKN cave-man@Man-Cave:~ >
confused?
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
20 GB RAM
3 TB WD Black, hardware raid 5 - /home
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV
In the Man Cave :)

Mint Mate 17.1

Media Center, image and video editing

computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: dolphin/network/samba shares shows workgroup but I can't

Post by computerbob »

I can only tell you how to set up Samba in Mint.
You don't need smb.conf
The Samba Gui works great.
See if you have Samba in the menu, if not get system-config-samba
Open Samba
Add the drive you want to share
Make its properties Read and Write and access to everyone. That's all. The individual drive permissions override these settings. So if your drive is a 755, you have full access, but everyone else has read only privledges.
Since the Samba Gui gave access to everyone, this drive shows up on their network places.
The smb.conf did get updated by the Gui.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Not a KDE user. Have it in a VBox guest but rarely use it because it gives me the heebie jeebies so .....

Note: Please don't post the output of commands as complex as smbtree as a string or else no one will bother to answer your posts. For future reference the output of smbtree appears to be this:
GE!
\\MAN-CAVE Man-Cave server (Samba, Linux Mint)
\\MAN-CAVE\print$ Printer Drivers
\\MAN-CAVE\IPC$ IPC Service (Man-Cave server (Samba, Linux Mint))

\\GEQNAP NAS Server
\\GEQNAP\Qmultimedia System default share
\\GEQNAP\Qdownload System default share
\\GEQNAP\Qrecordings System default share
\\GEQNAP\Qweb System default share
\\GEQNAP\Qusb System default share
\\GEQNAP\Public System default share
\\GEQNAP\Network Recycle Bin 1 [Strip Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4]
\\GEQNAP\GEmine Terabyte Backups
\\GEQNAP\GENAS Terabyte Backups
\\GEQNAP\GECookn Terabyte Backups
\\GEQNAP\Syncovery Backups
\\GEQNAP\ALL GENas
\\GEQNAP\FTP
\\GEQNAP\homes System default share
\\GEQNAP\home Home
\\GEQNAP\IPC$ IPC Service (NAS Server)

\\GENAS

\\GECOOKN

*** Please post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
It will show the state of your smb.conf file which is used by your Mint Samba server ( which you are not using ) but also the the samba client.

*** Can I assume you have no issues connecting to the nas ( GEQNAP ) and all of it's shares?

*** Try to access the Windows machine ( genas ? ) directly - bypassing Dolphins "Samba Shares" network discovery mechanism.

First try one of these - first by netbios name and then by the genas ip address:

dolphin smb://genas
dolphin smb://192.168.0.100
If that doesn't get you anywhere specify a windows user name when you access like this - first by netbios name and then by ip address:

dolphin smb://altair@genas
dolphin smb://altair@192.168.0.100
Where "altair" is a login user name on the Windows box.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Some very useful info here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

Especially this part:
Rearrange the order to make bcast first by adding a line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf - right under the "workgroup" line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badams_ios »

No, I cannot access qnap. The qnap shows up shows up in Konqueror, but none of the shares do. The windows workgroup works fine and has all along. In fact I CAN access shares on the linux box from any windows machine.

None of the dolphin smb:// - commands work. All they do is bring up my home folders.

I have set the order of name resolution in smb.conf as suggested in the article, I have WINS server running on genas and I've got all computers and addresses in /etc/hosts

Also, I can add my Brother laser printer MFC-7840W just as slick as snot. System settings/printers/add printer, it finds it immediately, I choose the model and voila. Just can't print to it:/

Here's the output of testparm -s

rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
workgroup = GE!
server string = %h server (Samba, Linux Mint)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

For clarification, the only place I can even see the workgroup GE! is in samba shares in Dolphin, and the real name of the workgroup is GE! but samba shares see's it a Ge!. e being lower case.
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
20 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV

Mint Mate 17.1

computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by computerbob »

I would suggest that all the shared drives are not in the same workgroup.

badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badams_ios »

The windows computers are ALL in the same workgroup, have been for years, have worked fine and still do.

Unless there is a place other than smb.conf that I have to tell linux the name of the workgroup, then every machine is in fact in the same domain. Is it possible that Linux doesn't like the workgroup name because of "!" ? That would seem odd because like I say, I can access shares on the linux box from any of the windows machines.
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
20 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV

Mint Mate 17.1

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

It is an odd character but not on the forbidden list. Truth is workgroup names can get in the way ( too long or odd characters ) but they are otherwise irrelevant. I have 4 workgroups in my set up and everyone can access everyone else.

Not being able to connect to your other hosts by ip address is a whole different issue. Something more fundamental is at play here.

I'm not at my workstation at the moment so I do not have access to my KDE VM. Does KDE still have the application: smb4k?

Install that and see if it can access the shares on your other machines only to see if it's dolphin itself that's the problem.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badams_ios »

smb4k sees all computers and all shares, but I cannot access any.

I'm using kde mint. If I boot to kubuntu live cd I have the same exact problem. If I boot to ubuntu live cd I see and access everything.
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
20 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV

Mint Mate 17.1

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I've been going through this post again and started thinking about this comment because it's such a strange symptom:
None of the dolphin smb:// - commands work. All they do is bring up my home folders.
It appears that it's a bug in KDE although I'm not sure it affects your version: smb:// URLs always open HOME folder
The internal plumbing of KDE has always been a mystery to me even when I used KDE3 so I don't know how much this affects all access using any utility ( like smb4K ) or only dolphin. smb4K is not dolphin so it appears you are getting closer but when you say you can now see the shares but cannot access any does it give you an error message?
I'm using kde mint. If I boot to kubuntu live cd I have the same exact problem. If I boot to ubuntu live cd I see and access everything.
Look, I admit I'm prejudiced against KDE but if you think about it the Ubuntu LiveCD by default is in a different workgroup and has bcast last and yet it still works. I don't think it's a network problem or a Samba problem but a KDE problem.

You might want to see if you can access the shares the ancient way:

For a guest share:

smbclient //server-name/share-name
When it asks for your password just hit enter.

If all your shares require authentication then pass a user name:

smbclient //server-name/share-name -U user-name
You will end up with a prompt:
smb: \>
Just issue an ls command to see if it can list the contents of the share:
smb: \> ls
Note: to end the smbclient session enter quit

badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badams_ios »

Fascinating. Yes, I CAN access shares using smbclient. Know of any tools I can use that aren't KDE specific?

*sigh* 60 moons ago or so I used OpenSuse as an ISCSI NAS server. Nothing fancy, just a backup location. Got used to KDE. Now KDE has changed so much, Gnome has changed so much, and I don't like ubuntu's unity desktop. OpenSuse doesn't support Netflix, KDE doesn't browse the network, and I want to check out the compiz cube.Sounds useful to my style. From what I can see, gnome and compiz are mortal enemies. I can move around in mint mate, and I especially like the way mint includes all the media components, but every time I try to install and run compiz I end up restoring from backup.

Ah well, if you stumble across anything let me know.

And thanks a LOT for the effort.

Last question. I trust we don't want to say the issue is "solved"?
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
20 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV

Mint Mate 17.1

Return to “Other networking topics”