Install after download of program question. (Solved).

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Install after download of program question. (Solved).

Post by Wompoo »

I just downloaded "FreeCad" and have it in my downoads folder ok.
What do I do next to get it to operating stage? Do I "install" it? or do I "extract files"?

Sorry about the basic question, I'm new to linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
Previous1

Re: Install after download of program question.

Post by Previous1 »

Did you download it as source code or as a .deb package? For the former, you'll have to compile it. For the latter, install it with gdebi (preinstalled with linux mint, so just double click -> install).
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I downloaded it in this form: "/freecad-0.13.1830.tar.gz".

I cannot find an "install" option. It asks me to "extract" only.
Desktop PC #1
elverion

Post by elverion »

I'm going to assume you downloaded the source, which is not what you want.

Freecad is in the repositories. So, you don't even want to install a .deb. The best (easiest, allows for auto-updates, etc.) way to install most software is going to be using aptitude. Click on the menu button, and go to Software Manager. Enter your password when prompted. In the top-right corner there is a searchbox. Just search for "freecad" and it'll bring up a few results. Ignore anything with -dev or similar suffixes. Just double-click "freecad", and you'll go to a new page. There will be an "Install" button on the right-hand side. Just click that, and you're done. No need to download or configure anything; this tool will take care of it all for you.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Excellent! Thank you. I have it installing now.

This operating system is just so.....elegant and efficient.........compared to Windows XP! :mrgreen:

edit: It won't download. I get this message in the screen shot below.

Desktop PC #1
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

Did you test your internet connection? Your network manager applet is showing that you were not connected when you took that screenshot

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

ping google.com
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I tried a couple of times, before and after viewing websites and sending email messages.

The ping test put Terminal into some sort of positive feedback loop. I was entering in multiple entries, one after the other. It got to 200 or so before I cancelled it. I cut and paste the words out of your post.

Screen shot here: Image
Desktop PC #1
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

That's normal for a ping to do that, it keeps sending pings and updates the response. Another good test is a My Trace Route which includes a ping and lists all the servers your packets take on the way to their destination.

Code: Select all

mtr linuxmint.com
You can do an mtr to any server you you want to monitor the connection to - google, yahoo etc.
The mtr won't continuously scroll off the page like a ping.

I noticed your ping times on that occasion were very slow, are you connecting to the web with a USB dongle adaptor or wifi connection ?
& did you try to install that cad package again ?

Having a ping or mtr running in the background can sometimes help to keep a connection established and let you monitor the connection to ensure you're still connected.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I am connected to the net via satellite. It has been slow today, very much so this afternoon.
I have tried a couple of times to download the FreeCad program without success yet. I'll try again first thing in the morning, that's a more reliable time due to less traffic etc.

How do I interpret the "ping test" results?
Desktop PC #1
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

another solution, extract the file, give it 777 permission then run it via './path/to/binary/executable/binary/file'
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I had success this morning; it does seem as though the problem was due to an intermittent connection (satellite).
The program downoaded in a few minutes.

Now, just to clean up the files I don't need, to remove them, do I just click delete from the downloads folder? Or dig more deeply?

Thanks to all.
Desktop PC #1
elverion

Re: Install after download of program question. (Solved).

Post by elverion »

Just delete the files from the Downloads folder. Then, once you're sure you want to remove them, you can go to the Trash (probably on the left-hand side of your file explorer somewhere), and "Empty Trash."
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Install after download of program question. (Solved).

Post by Wompoo »

elverion wrote:Just delete the files from the Downloads folder. Then, once you're sure you want to remove them, you can go to the Trash (probably on the left-hand side of your file explorer somewhere), and "Empty Trash."
My Downloads Folder does not gvie the option to delete files. I only get the "Remove From History" option.
Desktop PC #1

Return to “Beginner Questions”