Laptop and Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
k8wdx

Laptop and Mint

Post by k8wdx »

I have a Laptop, with Mint on it, it is an HP I7 pc 8 gigs of ram, why does it run at 60C at idle? Not that it is hot, but a lot warmer than when Windows 7 was on it, with Windows 7 under heavy load only got up to 31C and at idle 21C. So why? I already fried one laptop because of this, not interested in frying a brand new one. I have tried so many things, and so far nota... Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Laptop and Mint

Post by passerby »

1) What model of HP laptop is it?
2) Does it have a dedicated graphics card? (re: switchable graphics)
4) What version of Mint? Both the desktop environment and the version number.
3) Try out TLP: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/improve- ... fe-in.html

HP isn't really known for having good compatibility with Linux OS's. Or at least that was the case; might have improved.
Laptops with switchable graphics can reduce power consumption and thus heat by switching off the graphics card when not needed.
Desktop environments that are heavier on graphics, such as Cinnamon, will usually run hotter than those that don't, such as MATE and XFCE.
kurotsugi

Re: Laptop and Mint

Post by kurotsugi »

interesting. there are other user have been reported similar issue with intel chip. it might related with intel's famous power regression on new kernels.

Return to “Open Chat”