UPDATE PACK 8 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
killer de bug

Re: UPDATE PACK 8 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by killer de bug »

Monsta wrote:Okay, enough thread hijackings, let's get back to the topic. :)
I do not agree on this...
If there is a breakage UP8 and PulseAudio we need to know it ;)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I meant people who don't use UP8 (maybe don't even use LMDE) but come in and write in this thread like it's a support one - but it's not, as it's clearly stated in the first post.
As for the sound issue, I can't reproduce it, at least in MATE. I've just updated my production system and sit and click here and there. :) The sound applet is in its place and working, Skype has both speakers and mic working. I didn't need to remove ~/.pulse directory.

BTW, my sound card is:

Code: Select all

monsta@asylum ~ $ inxi -A
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.11-2-amd64
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I had the problem with Cinnamon.

KDB@KDB-laptop ~ $ inxi -A
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version k3.11-2-amd64
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

This may be unrelated to UP8... Looking at this thread, I see that palimmo uses UP7. And Cinnamon. Though I can't think of a way Cinnamon can be related to this issue.

Anyway, it looks like this issue can't be prevented or fixed on upgrade since it's not related to any breakages in the packages. The least we can do is to write something in the UP notes, like "remove ~/.pulse if you have this and that sound problem".
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

Monsta wrote:This may be unrelated to UP8... Looking at this thread, I see that palimmo uses UP7. And Cinnamon. Though I can't think of a way Cinnamon can be related to this issue.

Anyway, it looks like this issue can't be prevented or fixed on upgrade since it's not related to any breakages in the packages. The least we can do is to write something in the UP notes, like "remove ~/.pulse if you have this and that sound problem".
I don't think is even Cinnamon related, because I've experienced the same problem in previous Ubuntu (Unity) installation, even on different laptops.
sorry for writing here... just to be more clear
LM Cinnamon 64bit
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Another bug. At the system start the screen is spammed with numerous messages like this:

udevd[3599]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event' 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
This is a bug in hal. It won't be fixed. It turned out that hal is deprecated anyway, and I've just found out that one of my scripts that uses hal-find-by-property utility doesn't work anymore, yielding an error message like this one.

So the solution is: just remove the package hal to get rid of these messages.
I think this should be mentioned in the UP notes.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

killer de bug wrote: I was worried during the boot session since I had a lot of unusual messages.
Thanks Monsta. I did not had time to reboot to take a picture of these lines :D
Monsta wrote:Another bug. At the system start the screen is spammed with numerous messages like this:

udevd[3599]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event' 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
This is a bug in hal.
Last edited by killer de bug on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
petrescudragos

Post by petrescudragos »

I don't remeber to have removed, nor installed something lately, but two or three months ago I installed and removed several times audio parts in my attempt to install an equalizer (I don't know whether it has any importance)

I remember that, one or two days before the crush of the audio system, the equalizer (PulseAudio Equalizer) had a problem. It simply stoped working but, after I restarted it came back to normal.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

kurotsugi wrote:bad news for ATI users. the 32bit version can't build the kernel modules http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=729765
Clem, can you push the new version of ATI driver in UP8?
We have some user with problems: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 44#p813801
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

sorry for interupting but can someone here create a list of known problem related with this UP? these information will be very usefull if we want to create something like this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=146220 I think we'll need this kind of information for upcoming UP8 too.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Clem,

Can you push the last MDM in UP8? :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kurotsugi wrote:sorry for interupting but can someone here create a list of known problem related with this UP?
First we need to wait for Clem to come; he may fix some of the problems addressed here and mention the unavoidable problems in the UP notes. I'm actually quite worried about the fact that Clem haven't come here for a week:
Last visited: 17 Jan 2014, 17:34
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't seen him on IRC for a few days.
But you know winter is a bad time. He may have fallen sick and need a few days of rest. :wink:
leafpaul

Post by leafpaul »

killer de bug wrote: I have exactly the problem described here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=156989
My sound applet doesn't show up anymore. And in the control center, I can't see my sound device.
For me the sound applet shows up in gnome-control-center, along with a number of other of the settings utilities. So to use settings you have to check both the gnome utility and the cinnamon settings utility. It would be nice if these could be combined into one set of settings soon
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

With Cinnamon 2.0, the gnome-control-center is no more useful and can be removed. Cinnamon-control-center is handling everything. If that's not the case, then, you have a problem with your install ;)
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I installed sqlite3, libsqlite3-dev, and now Banshee crashes on launch. Monsta, can you reproduce?

update:
libsqlite3-0 v3.8.2-1 (sid, jessie) breaks banshee.
v3.8.1-1 (incoming) is OK.
leafpaul

Post by leafpaul »

killer de bug wrote:With Cinnamon 2.0, the gnome-control-center is no more useful and can be removed. Cinnamon-control-center is handling everything. If that's not the case, then, you have a problem with your install ;)
Maybe a problem with my install but quite a few of the settings utilities are in gnome settings but not in cinnamon settings. I suppose it might be that my system is not a new install but an old system repeatedly upgraded.

Just uninstalled gnome-control-centre which resulted in all the settings utilities (including Sound) being transferred to cinnamon-control-centre - well in libcinnamon-control-center1 being installed in place of gnome-control-centre. Odd that it didn't happen automatically with the install/upgrade of cinnamon. Possibly time for a fresh install once the lmde iso is updated.
Last edited by leafpaul on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
liveup

Post by liveup »

leafpaul wrote:
killer de bug wrote:With Cinnamon 2.0, the gnome-control-center is no more useful and can be removed. Cinnamon-control-center is handling everything. If that's not the case, then, you have a problem with your install ;)
Maybe a problem with my install but quite a few of the settings utilities are in gnome settings but not in cinnamon settings. I suppose it might be that my system is not a new install but an old system repeatedly upgraded.

Does you Sound settings appear in cinnamon settings now then?
the same to you .but run "apt-get remove gnome-control-center" ,it still make "Startup Applications" repeated..
liveup

Post by liveup »

how to remove gnome? I try 'apt-get remove gnome-control-center' ,it still have repeat
leafpaul

Post by leafpaul »

the same to you .but run "apt-get remove gnome-control-center" ,it still make "Startup Applications" repeated..
The start up app (gnome-session-properties) is in gnome-session-bin package

Return to “LMDE Archive”