Old Laptop (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rjmanm

Old Laptop (SOLVED)

Post by rjmanm »

I installed Linux Mint 13 MATE on an old IBM Thinkpad T22 900Mhz with 512MB Ram...
I was wondering since it is a little sluggish if there are any tweaks or things that can be removed from start up or services that I really don't need.
when it reaches the desktop it is using about 157 megs ram. I already removed virtualbox from start up cause I do not need it...
machine will be used to surf the web, maybe watch a tv show online, and or a video on youtube and also for homework using office suite...
any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Old Laptop

Post by Helmut »

On my old IBM X31(?) Mint 13 (LTS) runs a little slow, but not slow enough to be called sluggish. There was nothing special done installing it, but the original (Win-)WiFi card was a pain to get running.
You could try Mint in Fluxbox version, that should make it work a little faster.
Helmut
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

the easyest way is just increase the ram [second hand ram is cheap these days] or change to a lighter program like Pepermint
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I would reccomend using XFCE instead of MATE. While I don't have that old of a laptop, my desktop PC is running Mint 16 XFCE with a pentium 4 processor (although its at 3.2 ghz) and 2gb of ram. For me, it (XFCE) runs really fast! For me, Cinnamon felt sluggish on my computer, and in fact the login screen would lag and hang. So, I'm thinkng that XFCE may be worth trying, because it is faster. I will see if I can find something relating to changing desktop environments for you.

If you know how to, you could install just a window manager and any application that you would need. Though that would be somewhat complicated, and I couldn't help you there. However, the speed of the computer should increase a lot, so it would also be worth keeping your options open.

As for tweaking, I love to tweak things (until they break, then I have to fix it... :roll: ) so maybe in a week or so of experimenting with XFCE on my desktop I might be able to find something to help you speed up the computer even more. The most common things would be removing startup programs (which you've done), disabling anything else you know you will never need (for instance, virtualBox, which you have also done) and potentially cleaning out the dust. A good dusting can really make a difference if heat is this issue.

As far as other distro's/DE's, I'd do some research into which one is fastest, and which one suites your needs. I've heard of puppy linux, though I have no idea what that really is.

As far as RAM is concerned, I don't know how easy or convienent it would be to find compatible ram, let alone upgrade in a laptop. Just trying to open my 1 year old laptop was a nightmare and a half, and laptops have so much space issues... If you can upgrade the RAM, I'd say go for it.

All in all, I'd use what works best for you. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

The-Wizard wrote:the easyest way is just increase the ram [second hand ram is cheap these days] or change to a lighter program like Pepermint
The t22 laptop has a maximum ram of 512 megs so it is already maxed out... :)
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

JohnBobSmith wrote:As far as other distro's/DE's, I'd do some research into which one is fastest, and which one suites your needs. I've heard of puppy linux, though I have no idea what that really is.
I havea really old laptop 300 mhz with 128 meg ram maxed out... I tried all the other distros on that one and the only one worth using was antiX...
Antix booted on that one using about 68 megs ram out of the box, and after a few days on their forum with the antix pros guiding me, they got me down to about 26 megs booting to the desktop....
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

there are several things worth to try:
- using zram
- use lighter DE and app. LXDE is a lot lighter than MATE. for apps, using midori or qupzilla is a lot better on limited ram.
- disable unneeded services. by default, we get samba, winbind, etc turned on. we can disable them to get more free ram. you can use sysv-rc-conf to disable them.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

On an older system like that you will have a certain amount of sluggishness. Not sure how much tweaking can be done to relieve that. As stated by others, increasing RAM would help.

If tweaking Mint doesn't help much and you are new to Linux and want to stick with distros that are easiest for beginners you might want to test out either or both of these, which may be slightly less sluggish:
LinuxLite (best choice is probably version 1.06 for your hardware)
Lubuntu (don't know enough to recommend version for this one)

Another option that would probably be a further improvement speed-wise, but less visually appealing and "newbie" friendly is:
AntiX
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

replacing ram on a lenvo is easy you need a small cross head screwdriver as replacement PC2700 soddim [ you may need 1 or 2 depending if you have 1x 500mb or 2 x 250mb] [ebay.com/itm/374630-634-HP-MEMORY-RAM-512MB-PC2700-DDR333-SODIM-/261347202255?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item3cd981d4cf] this would do] but whilst sodding about i would put in 2x1gb the ram slots are located under the cover [about 3 " square] on the bottom, always remove battery before opening your lap top
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

gold_finger wrote:On an older system like that you will have a certain amount of sluggishness. Not sure how much tweaking can be done to relieve that. As stated by others, increasing RAM would help.

If tweaking Mint doesn't help much and you are new to Linux and want to stick with distros that are easiest for beginners you might want to test out either or both of these, which may be slightly less sluggish:
LinuxLite (best choice is probably version 1.06 for your hardware)
Lubuntu (don't know enough to recommend version for this one)

Another option that would probably be a further improvement speed-wise, but less visually appealing and "newbie" friendly is:
AntiX
I have linux lite here and I did boot that from live cd as well as mint 13 mate and they both seemed to use the same amount of ram so I figured I would go with mint since it is more user user friendly....
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

The-Wizard wrote:replacing ram on a lenvo is easy you need a small cross head screwdriver as replacement PC2700 soddim [ you may need 1 or 2 depending if you have 1x 500mb or 2 x 250mb] [ebay.com/itm/374630-634-HP-MEMORY-RAM-512MB-PC2700-DDR333-SODIM-/261347202255?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item3cd981d4cf] this would do] but whilst sodding about i would put in 2x1gb the ram slots are located under the cover [about 3 " square] on the bottom, always remove battery before opening your lap top

As I stated above the ram on a t22 is maxed at 512mb, the machine will not run any more then 512mb...
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

sorry my fault. looked up wrong model. i have been looking for a solution to flash the bios but haven't found anyone who has had success,[but i did find this model only works with low density pc100 ram] so back to my other suggestion.. try Peppermint it is an independent build based on ubuntu and mint using the LXDE desktop
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

The-Wizard wrote:sorry my fault. looked up wrong model. i have been looking for a solution to flash the bios but haven't found anyone who has had success,[but i did find this model only works with low density pc100 ram] so back to my other suggestion.. try Peppermint it is an independent build based on ubuntu and mint using the LXDE desktop
I downloaded and ran Live cd of mint 13 xfce and lxle and Linux Lite, lxle booted live using 238 megs ram, and xfce booted live using about 199 megs ram and Linux Lite was a whopping 259 Megs Ram...
I am going to download peppermint now and see what it does booting live, and the lowest one I will install on it, then start tweaking it...

Peppermint would not boot live cd it failed at desktop, video went bonkers then distorted and locked up tight...
So I decided to try mint 13 XFCE this time since it is about 38 megs lighter then mate booting live cd, after tweaking it should be even lighter and more usable for me then mate was....
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

I installed Linux 13 XFCE booted to desktop using only 159 megs, after tweaks it should be a lot less then that, it is very snappy compared to Mate... Thanks for the advice....
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I found the following google sites website, which may be of use. Look at 2.6 and 2.7, and the general tweaks. Not all of them are for performance per say, but there are a few that should help. I'll look for more and let you know what I can find.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -mint-xfce
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Try MX-14 by the antiX and MEPIS community. Live RAM on my box is 120MB

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx
rjmanm

Post by rjmanm »

anticapitalista wrote:Try MX-14 by the antiX and MEPIS community. Live RAM on my box is 120MB

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx
I have antix on my old laptop and you guys really helped me out a lot over in antix forums, so I will download it and have a look at it for sure...
I have no problems using antix , but for linux newbies it seems the ubuntu platforms are the easiest for them to grasp... I do a lot of work for many people, and I am getting a deluge of old machines lately looking to get away from Windows XP and install linux to keep them alive a few more years....

Return to “Beginner Questions”