Looking for Cassandra XFCE Download Possibility

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hellcat

Looking for Cassandra XFCE Download Possibility

Post by Hellcat »

Hi folks,

I'd like to install Mint on a really old machine (Pentium II, 350 MHz). That's why I decided to try the XFCE Community Version on Cassandra (Mint 3.0). But the problem is:

None of the download mirrors on the Mint hp work. They all only offer 3.1 and newer versions. No 3.0. The torrents do not work neither. Google does not help. So I am looking for working torrents or download mirrors. Can anybody help?

Best wishes and thx in advance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Looking for Cassandra XFCE Download Possibility

Post by 67GTA »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You can also still buy copies all the way back to 2.0 here, but not all are XFCE. http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php? ... d021fc5bd7
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

Thank you both for your immediate answers.

I know that I can buy the CD, but of course I would prefer to download it for free, if possible.

The torrent seems to be inactive, too. My utorrent says: 'no connection established, because target computer has denied the connection'. I'm not an experienced torrent-user, but I already downloaded the new 5.0 Mint RC, which tells me that it should not be the fault of my utorrent settings. Also with Opera I cannot download from this torrent.

Actually, I cannot believe that there should be no download mirror available for this 3.0 XFCE version, as it is not that old. And it's the only XFCE Mint release known as stable, which means not a beta or a RC. So what do people install on their older machines?

I need to get this version...

Post by Guest »

Oops... you wre the same person, I missed that. Sorry. 8)
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It shows two seeders. It will take a while to get it going/downloaded. You best bet would be to buy one. It is only $1.95. Your probably not going to find any healthy torrents for Mint 3.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I'll see if I can upload it to night and have a link for you tomorrow.
You could also wait for Elyssa.
I don't know how long it would take to upgrade to Elyssa or even if it's possible without messing up the system.
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

Hi merlwiz, I would be really happy if you had such a link for me.

The problem is that the older computer, on which I wanna install Linux, does not have an internet connection. That's why I need Mint featuring all the codecs and why it is not possible to update or upgrade the future system via internet.

I thought that Cassandra would be better (than Elyssa) for this old machine because it's older and thus slighter. Additionally, I cannot find any announced date for the Elyssa final release and I cannot wait so long. I need it next week when I go home to my internetless PC. :wink:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok I will try and upload it to day and post a link.
I don't have a clue when the final will be released.
I am also not sure when the beta of Elyssa will be released.
There are some bugs in Elyssa Main that I hope gets fixed 1st.
Then I still have the problem with Firefox 3 not knowing what applications to use.(Xubuntu has this problem right now)
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

That's why I need the stable Cassandra Community version. I'm looking forward for your upload.

About Firefox 3, I can only recommand using Opera to everybody. I know, Firefox is open source, but Opera is faster, more secure and has some great features like no other browser. You can try v9.27 (stable) or v.9.5 beta 2 which also runs perfectly stable on my Fedora system. It's really worth a shot.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Since opera isn't open source there is no way to change default settings.
This means I can't change the bookmarks or give it the info on where java is installed.(causing problems for people who don't know where java is)
Also the site I uploaded to never freshed the page so I never got the link.(after 6hrs and only took 3hrs to upload)
I did find a link to it but I am downloading to check the md5sum.(1hr left)
http://mirror.its.ac.id/pub/ISO/LinuxMi ... 0-XFCE.iso

Download Completed and it is the correct md5sum:

Code: Select all

merlwiz79@merlwiz79-desktop ~/Desktop $ md5sum LinuxMint-3.0-XFCE.iso
c0360237788bb81353a0eb87db99a78a  LinuxMint-3.0-XFCE.iso
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

Hi merlwiz,

I misunderstood you with your browser prob because I thought that you wanted to use it, not to edit it.

And thank you very very much for your expenditure concerning the upload. I am downloading the file at the moment. I already read about this md5sum when I was looking for the XFCE-CE. Is this important for me? Do I need the code you posted? Or is it only for you to be sure the up/download works correctly?
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

Once again thanks a lot to merlwiz for your upload.
I already burned and checked out the Live-CD on my Notebook. Everything works fine!

But one question left: As the CD does not feature german language support and the PC on which I wanna install it has no internet connection - is there any possibility to get german language files from the internet now, save it on USB device and install it later on the internetless PC after installing Cassandra?

For me it would be no problem using it in english but I think my mother has a different opinion...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Hellcat wrote:Once again thanks a lot to merlwiz for your upload.
I already burned and checked out the Live-CD on my Notebook. Everything works fine!

But one question left: As the CD does not feature german language support and the PC on which I wanna install it has no internet connection - is there any possibility to get german language files from the internet now, save it on USB device and install it later on the internetless PC after installing Cassandra?

For me it would be no problem using it in english but I think my mother has a different opinion...
You could install the german laguage support on a pc with internet then use Aptoncd to back it up to a CD to install on you pc at home.
Then open the cdrom and right click and open terminal here.
run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

Thank you for that hint, I did not know APTonCD until now. I will try it this way!

Return to “Xfce”