Gotta hate parents

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Knuckl3head

Gotta hate parents

Post by Knuckl3head »

I could swear my parents are working against me.

I am trying to build my own computer and I am working to get the money. However, today my mom got me a tablet without me knowing, now I owe her $70 for a tablet I didn't want in the first place. Have you ever have this happen to you?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RacerBG

Re: Gotta hate parents

Post by RacerBG »

How about 700$ gifted crappy laptop? That was my "gift" before 4 years and already I'm thinking about how to get rid of it and by better one... :|
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but are you seriously whining that the gift you got wasn't good enough?

I am not looking forward to my kids' teenage years...
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

If you tell to car mechanic (for example) that he must buy a XXX PC without any preferences - maybe he will buy IBM 5150. The same situation is with me. My parents just know how to turn on/off the PC and they decided that THEY must choose my future laptop. Make conclusions yourself. Nowadays as a college student finally I have my own money and if we go 4 years back in time the story would be totally different. :wink:
Adelante

Re:

Post by Adelante »

Such an awful thing to receive gifts from your parents. :P
Zalbor

Re: Re: Re:

Post by Zalbor »

Lingula wrote:I'm not trying to start a flame war, but are you seriously whining that the gift you got wasn't good enough?

I am not looking forward to my kids' teenage years...
Adelante wrote:Such an awful thing to receive gifts from your parents. :P
How is it a gift if he/she has to pay for it?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I was blessed with family that actually payed attention to what I was doing. Computers were bigger than the house when I was growing up, but I was building my own radio when I was a teen. Instead of getting me a portable radio,[which would have been cheaper] my mother took an interest in what I was doing, called my grandfather, that was a radio repairman and got the transistor I was needing to finish it. My aunt being a crazy as I am, put it in a matchbox and wrapped it up with a bow for Christmas. :lol: It was part of my Christmas so I didn't have to use the money from my summer jobs to pay for it.

I can also understand the need to upgrade a 4yr. old computer, I'm using a NetBook now I bought back in 2009 . [desktop craped out]Have you ever tried to repair pictures with an Atom CPU? :? Even if you can plug the 22inch monitor and not have to use the 9inch that is internal. Most gaming it out of the picture.

I admit things were never "peaches and cream" with my parents, and my life is far from that now, but we can still work together for a common goal. And they are probably just as happy as I am that most things are not their problem anymore. :wink:
d00med

Post by d00med »

Where can I get a tablet for $70?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

n/m. I'm an idiot.
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

"Thanks for getting this for me but it is not quite what I want. Do you mind if I return it for a refund or exchange it for a credit?"
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Knuckl3head wrote:I could swear my parents are working against me.

I am trying to build my own computer and I am working to get the money. However, today my mom got me a tablet without me knowing, now I owe her $70 for a tablet I didn't want in the first place. Have you ever have this happen to you?
the problem isn't parents. It's the mandatory gift paradigm that is promoted by commercial advertisers.

I could make a long list of crap people have given me,-- all well intentioned -- and completely un-related to what I was doing.

I finally started refusing gifts completely and that finally put a stop to the practice. I still help my kids out -- but -- with things they need when they need it. when a holiday comes around if you feel you must do something -- get together and go out for pizza.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open Chat”