Why Do I Have Double Mints At Boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why Do I Have Double Mints At Boot?

Post by 67GTA »

If you only have one Mint installed, then that is not normal. Something has gone terribly wrong. Post a copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst, and the output of

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
from a terminal so we can have a look.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It seems like there is more going on here than I thought. Do you have Mint installed, or Mandriva? Did Mint not install correctly? It sounds like you have too many things going on now to try to fix the first problem. If you done a clean install of Mint, or any distro, you should only have two entries for that distro in your grub menu(regular boot/recovery). Any other distro that is already installed will show up in the "Other OS" part of the menu. It sounds like you tried to install Mint more than once unsuccessfully, and it tried to add one of the previous failed installs to grub. We can try to help you figure out why Mint is not installing if you want to use it. It is best to start with new formatted partitions. If you leave a failed install on a partition, it may have gotten far enough to be recognized, but not be able to boot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Did you get it going this time?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

You know, sometimes it takes a completely clean re-install to fix a myriad of problems. I have done that quite a few times myself. It is all part of the learning process. Please post back and share with us if that rectified your situation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”