[SOLVED] Firefox 27.0 crashes on .pdf and some websites

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wudu

[SOLVED] Firefox 27.0 crashes on .pdf and some websites

Post by wudu »

Hi,

I'm using LMDE Mate 64 bit. Recently there was update mintupdate-debian and then a big update (~200 packages for me), not sure if these two were related. Yesterday I did the firefox update to 27.0. So everything is up to date now.

Now my Firefox crashes randomly on some websites and reproduceable every time opening a .pdf in Firefox directly. Google gave me nothing related.
So I wanted to investigate this and started Firefox from terminal resulting in no crashes at all. After that I tried with starting with ALT+F2 resulting in crashes again.
To see if it is a problem with the package installed by apt I downloaded Firefox from mozilla and installed it into my home directory. I created a bash script (I have a directory in my home directory which is in $PATH) and a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications. Result was the same behavior: Starting from .desktop (menu) and ALT+F2 resulted in crashes, starting from terminal worked without. Since crashes didn't happen when starting from terminal I modified my script to write stdout and stderr into a file. Nothing got written on the crashes.

In summary:
From terminal both (apt package and plain mozilla) -> no crashes
From .desktop file (menu/starter) and ALT+F2 both (apt package and plain mozilla) -> crashes

Because google don't give me anything I think this isn't a general FF 27.0 problem but has something to do with Mate and/or environment variables perhaps.

EDIT: I tried all that with new profile (renaming ~/.mozilla) after first crash.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The_Raven

Re: Firefox 27.0 crashes on .pdf and some websites

Post by The_Raven »

Same problem here, firefox freezes or crashs (Segment Fault).
Happens on FF26 and FF27. FF25 is ok!
And yes, if you start it from terminal you have no freezes but segfaults are still present :(

To simulate a freez go to www.openstreetmap.org
Segfault can be simulated when you try to download.
FlatEric521

Post by FlatEric521 »

I also am seeing the same problem with Firefox crashing, using LMDE MATE 64-bit. I had delayed pulling down UP8 until yesterday, and that seems to be when the problems started as I don't remember problems while I was using UP7. I mostly get this error when I get dialog boxes. Not just trying to download as The_Raven experienced, but also when selecting to print and save as PDF.

I figured I would post the errors I see when running from terminal in case that can help anyone solve the issue.

Code: Select all

~$ firefox 

(process:17996): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Segmentation fault
I don't know that the GLib error is related, as that displays immediately after launch, while the segfault doesn't happen until I have a print or save dialog box open.
The_Raven wrote:Same problem here, firefox freezes or crashs (Segment Fault).
Happens on FF26 and FF27. FF25 is ok!
What are you doing to download older versions of FF?
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

I think after a upgrade to 26 or 27 it's not possible to downgrade. :(
After up8 iso's are released i try to find out if it only happens on 64bit.
UP8-64Bit and FF25 works ok. I have tow notebooks, both with up8. But only one of them has FF27. On the other notebook i have blocked the update and stay on FF25 :) Maybe i can save the FF25 packages there and downgrade the other notebook this way.

Edit: On Mint13 Maya x86 FF26 works ok!
davidscott

Post by davidscott »

Hi everyone,

First post here, Just confirming I'm getting exactly the same problem Mint Debian 16 (64-bit)(Mate), Firefox 27.0 segfaults with no further information. It only started with the latest big update.

Thanks,

David
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Think to wait until the iso is out is a bad idea, because in the iso this should be fixed!
Is it only a 64bit problem? Is it working on 32Bit systems?

If i have time i test it. The good thing is you can test it very easy, just open the openstreetmap.org homepage :D

Edit: Ha! Downgraded my firefox to v25 and the same problem occurs! :o
So it looks it depends not on firefox.
Edit2: Save-Mode and rename of folder .mozilla -> Same problem
FlatEric521

Post by FlatEric521 »

I eventually gave in and followed these directions: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1218.

I'm using FF 24.3 ESR (so all bug fixes are present). It is working with no crashes so far. However, it does seem to be far more memory hungry than it used to be.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Edit: Installed FF24-ESR and it is NOT working! :(
The same as with FF25, 26 and 27: If i start it from command line it works better (no freeze).
Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Fire Fox Crashing

Post by Georgia boy »

Since update to package 8 Fire Fox will crash and close on me at least once if not twice each time I use.
Anyone else having this issue?
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here
Linux Mint, Mageia
Leveno IDea Centre

ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Today i tested UP8-RC-ISO LiveSystem 64Bit with FF27 and it works! :D
So it's not a firefox problem! If i have time i test it more (make an install and other things).
Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Georgia boy »

Knew that the latest update screwed things up causing FF to crash. When I had updated I wound up doing dpkg --config -a to get some things taken care of. Just now FF keeps screwing. As long I remember not to close terminal I can do the fire fox & and not have crash otherwise it will crash at least twice on me while using. I'll have three or sites open and will do so.
Linux Mint, Mageia
Leveno IDea Centre

ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Try using dmesg to find the crash message, or look into ~/.xsession-errors file.

Also it may be worth checking this page.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

I reinstall LMDE UP8 and firefox works again. No Segfault or freez anymore. :D
But now i have a very strange wireless icon!?!
Don't know why and don't know how to change it.

Edit: Found it! Think it's a Bug. If panel is larger than 26 pixel the logo is changing. Try to fix it tomorrow :)
Edit2: Same happens on Mint13! Icons are wrong! Correct in "/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/status/24", but wrong in "/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/status/32"! (nm-adhoc.png for example)
wudu

Post by wudu »

Hi,

wasn't here some time. Used Chromium the last weeks because I couldn't live with these crashes. But Chromium annoyed me as well. So I started a new search some days ago and found this arch thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=174277

The outcome there was that it is a Nvidia bug with some versions. So I removed my Nvidia packages and installed the driver from their website. Didn't do that for a long time so I thought it is still a pain in the ass because you had to reinstall it on every kernel update in the past. But the Nvidia installer now detects and installs for DKMS what causes the modules to be rebuild on every kernel update... so no problem here.

So far it seems to solve the problem. No crash for two days. I already tested with many pdf files which was the main cause of the crashes for me. I also opened all my bookmarks ~100 at the same time. OpenStreetMap didn't cause any crash as well. So I think it's solved for me. I'll wait some more days before setting the toipc to solved...

I hope this works for all here with this problem, good luck.

EDIT: If that doesn't help you could try the latest Firefox ESR which helped some arch guys before they found out about the Nvidia driver causing the crashes.
FlatEric521

Post by FlatEric521 »

Firefox 28 was recently released as an update. I pulled it down this morning and it seems to be behaving much better, at least for me. My problem of it crashing shortly after opening the print dialog doesn't seem to happen any more. I'll keep using it and will post if I see any other problems.
wudu wrote:EDIT: If that doesn't help you could try the latest Firefox ESR which helped some arch guys before they found out about the Nvidia driver causing the crashes.
Yes, that worked for me for the last month.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

I also tested with ESR and this has not solved my problems! :( But maybe the nivida drivers, because i have a nvidia card! But now i have a fresh install and it works fine.
FlatEric521

Post by FlatEric521 »

The_Raven wrote:But maybe the nivida drivers
I agree, they certainly are suspect. I know Chrome/Cromium has problems with the version of the nVidia driver in LMDE UP8. I haven't tried a direct nVidia download yet. That may come next if I find any problems.
wudu

Post by wudu »

Forgot to say that the crashes also occurred with Firefox 28 before using the newer Nvidia drivers from their website.
No further problems so far so I set topic to solved.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox 27.0 crashes on .pdf and some websites

Post by Monsta »

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll finally decide to update my FF 25. I've put the package on hold because of all these reports.

Return to “LMDE Archive”