Is "Transmission" a slow .tor client?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NewToLinuxxx

Is "Transmission" a slow .tor client?

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Half of the files I que to it just sit there stalling, or taking a day to complete (this is in contrast to some weeks' back, when my laptop was windows7, and utorrent would have things done asap w/o any issue)

Is Transmission a sub-par, built-in thing that I should be swapping w/ some other aftermarket client? Deluge(sp?), perhaps?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Is "Transmission" a slow .tor client?

Post by vrkalak »

I use Deluge as my torrent-client.

If you don't like Transmission, there are others that may find suitable. Check out Synaptic Package Managers for a 'install' list.

Or check this list > http://websearch.about.com/od/torrentse ... lients.htm
jahid

Post by jahid »

Deluge is my favourite torrent client.
when i first started to use linux mint as my first OS i wasn't able to download any torrent file with transmission. then i searched for a better torrent client and found deluge to be an interesting choice, it worked for the torrents i wasn't able to even start downloading with transmission. since then i'm using deluge as my only torrent client and i am satisfied with it's performance..
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Good stuff, off to try deluge! Thanks a ton guys :D
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Just so I know I'm not gonna err too badly, this is what I intend to do:

sudo apt-get purge transmission
sudo apt-get install deluge

is that appropriate? My understanding was they use the same port, so they cannot be on together (or run simultaneously? although I like a clean PC, so if deluge is the new go-to, I'd rather not even own transmission at that point ;) )
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

That should work.
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

weirdness- when I go "sudo apt-get purge(or remove) transmission", it tells me I don't have that package. Then I go to software manager, search 'transmission', w/ the intent to find its entry, see "installed" and then select "remove", only to find that the software manager also does not think I have it installed....
I DO have it installed, I can see it when searching the PC, and I can use it right now- yet when trying to remove it, the system pretends I don't have it..

(I should note that I *was* able to still get deluge up/working, and yeah I see the difference already! WOW what a better tor client!)
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

NewToLinuxxx wrote:weirdness- when I go "sudo apt-get purge(or remove) transmission", it tells me I don't have that package.
The package name is transmission-gtk. Hence, you:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge transmission-gtk
I hit the same snag when I was looking for the transmission binary some time ago. Then I found out the -gtk portion was part of its name. :roll:

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I guess it must be a YMMV kinda thing. Transmission works first try, every try for me and with speeds of 6 MB/s or better.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

aha good to know! Just tried and it removed mine :D

I've hit a snag, I think I'm just ignorant about how to use torrent programs, lol. I started deluge w/ a single, 1.5gb file, and it gave a reasonable time expectation (~25min). I then added like 5+ more to the que, which was never a problem using utorrent on win7, and now all are basically at standstill (either paused/stalled, or days til complete).

Do I need to feed deluge a single file at a time? I guess I'm looking for the ability I had w/ utorrent before, wherein I'd just put 5 or 10 in there, and the *total* time would be equivalent to the time if i'd have fed them individually. W/ deluge, it seems that adding more files makes it exponentially more difficult for the program, will be major PITA if I've gotta do torrents one at a time :/
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

tdockery97 wrote:I guess it must be a YMMV kinda thing. Transmission works first try, every try for me and with speeds of 6 MB/s or better.
WOW! I have 'high speed' (whatever the hell that even means) package and even if i'm the only one using a computer in my house, I've never seen better than 1.3mb/s (I'm on wifi, perhaps that's causing such a substantial variance here)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I don't think it's related to Transmission. I have never had any problem with that software. I can put 5 torrents at the same time and still get a really decent flow.

I think that your ISP has some problem. If Deluge slows down the flow when you add several torrents, it's definitely not Transmission the problem.
mbohets

Post by mbohets »

I had slow downloads with Transmission also.
I now use Frostwire, and it works fine.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Add me in as another that's never had a problem with transmission. . . . . not entirely convinced it's the client and as metioned above there is the possibility of ISP interference.
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

I'm starting to think there was an UBER OBVIOUS problem here, being that I wasn't aware of the other pc's trafffic in my house- I think I was expecting consistent times from a tor program, w/o respect to what other ppl on my wifi were doing.. Think that 1.3mb/s is what I can get if everyone else is off the wifi, and these crawl-times are probably when ppl left their computers running torrents I was unawares of!
/who's the goose? lol
wingedearth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wingedearth »

Transmission is not at all slow. If you're encountering speed problems, it's likely due to either your network or to the seeders.
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Are there any generic settings that ppl tend to alter on their torrent programs? Not that I can really complain right now w/ what I'm getting for speed, 1.3mbs is respectable i guess, but things like "unlimited ports/connections" or other settings that ppl typically alter when setting up new tor clients?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Two settings that I usually change: number of concurrent connections, and the bandwidth taken up by the client. Those settings depends on whether I'm the only one using the connection and/or if someone else is using it apart from me, and/or if I also need some of the bandwidth for other purposes.

Transmission is a decent client. I don't have any problems with it as far as usability and features are concerned. As mentioned earlier,
wingedearth wrote:If you're encountering speed problems, it's likely due to either your network or to the seeders.
and I would also add ISP issues. Certain ISPs implement throttling as part of their so-called "Fair Use Policy."
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Software & Applications”