m17n layouts are not available in Keyboard Layouts list

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ugly_duck

m17n layouts are not available in Keyboard Layouts list

Post by ugly_duck »

Hi, I recently switched to LM16 from Ubuntu 13.10.

Background:
I need to write Bengali with a keyboard layout called Unijoy, available in m17n-db package.
After installing the m17n-db and ibus-m17n package, in Ubuntu 13.10 i used to go to the Text Entry settings and search for unijoy to get my desired keyboard layout avaible for switching.
Click to see bigger picture.

Problem Statement 1:
In Mint 16 (Cinnamon), the m17n keyboard layouts are not being shown, under the Choose a layout list (System Settings>Regional Settings>Keyboard Layouts).
It is only showing the default built in keybaord layouts, but NOT showing the m17n keyboard layouts.
Click to see bigger picture.

I would like to know, how can i get the m17n keyboard layouts in both of the lists given below and above?

Additional Info:
I can use the Bengali (unijoy (m17n)) keyboard by running ibus-setup. But I don't think it is a permanent solution, rather it is just a workaround.
And above all, I don't like it for several reasons, among many reasons, the strongest reason is given below.

Problem Statement 2:
After running ibus-setup, the flag icons for keyboard layout disappears:

And reappears on session restart.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly_duck

Re: m17n layouts are not available in Keyboard Layouts list

Post by ugly_duck »

Come on guys, no reply? Not even a hint? :(

Bump!!!
wilo108

Post by wilo108 »

I'm having a similar problem -- despite having installed scim-m17n, the m17n keyboards are not available in SCIM (I can't see them in the keyboard layouts dialogues your using, either, but to be honest I've never used them that way before). I'm on a new install of LMDE -- had no problems on LM15.

You might give iBus a try. I can't live with it -- it obstructs the libchewing configuration, and the character selection window permanently hidden behind the panels, and there are several other issues which make it a non-starter for me. I can, however, see the m17n keyboards in iBus -- perhaps you will too, and perhaps you'll find that's a way you can use them.

I really need some kind of solution for this, though -- otherwise I don't know what I'll do; I can't work without three or four of the m17n keyboards :(
jahid

Post by jahid »

you can try the probhat layout. i use it, it's pretty easy.

and nobody is answering because they may not have any answere. or who can answere this question haven't come across it yet.

i have a theory that tells me that the m17n layouts are for ibus not for x input method. so may be it only works with ibus. :?
wilo108

Post by wilo108 »

I've been using m17n with scim for years, including on LMDE under UP7 and on LinuxMint 15 :(
wilo108

Post by wilo108 »

I can confirm that m17n doesn't work with scim in Linux Mint 16 (Petra) too. So something somewhere has changed between Olivia (LM15) and LMDE UP7, where it worked, and Petra (LM16) and LMDE UP8, where it doesn't. I'll see if I can find an appropriate place to file a bug, and see if I can get the attention of someone who knows what they're doing ;)

Return to “Cinnamon”