Audacity in Mint 13 MAYA Cinnamon LTS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint4Me@52

Audacity in Mint 13 MAYA Cinnamon LTS

Post by Mint4Me@52 »

I recently installed Audacity from the Software Manager,marked & applied the packages in Synaptic Manager and correctly set up Audacity in it's Preferences
then tried to record some music with no success,no waveform,no sound recorded.
Why when Audacity which is included as a Mint software package does it not work when it works perfectly when installed in MS Windows,not a good start for a
new Linux convert?
Maybe a Driver issue,if so it should not be occurring in a LTS version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Audacity in Mint 13 MAYA Cinnamon LTS

Post by kyphi »

I just installed Audacity and recorded a section of music generated via RadioTray. It worked perfectly.

Please tell exactly what you did in audacity to record music.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Mint4Me@52

Post by Mint4Me@52 »

]I just installed Audacity and recorded a section of music generated via RadioTray. It worked perfectly.

Please tell exactly what you did in audacity to record music.[/quote]

Thanks[quote="kyphi"
After installing Version 2.0.0(Unicode) which is the only ver available from the Synaptic Package & Software Managers I began playing a piece
of music from my Music folder then opened Audacity and clicked onto the Record button,result nothing no sound wave or music on Playback.The same procedure in MS Windows works like a dream,the Mint 13 is on a separate HD to Windows but it shares the same sound card and motherboard.
The Playback device is Default, Recording device is Default, Channels 2 Sterio, maybe the ALSA driver is the problem?
The built in program in Mint 13 called Sound Recorder or something like that will not record sound either.
The only way to get Audacity to record is to connect a cable from the line in to the line out which should not have to be.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I followed your steps and opened a music file first before opening Audacity - the clicked on the "Record" button. Sound waves were barely visible and sound was faint on playback. I clicked on "Effects" and selected "Amplify" from the list. Sound waves displayed and sound was audible.

Next I opened Audacity before opening a music file. It played normally and recorded and played back normally.

Audacity is quite a complicated program to use and reading the manual may be of benefit:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/

Since the sound is low when you try to record, you could have a look at the settings in Alsamixer to ensure that your soundcard has been selected as well as the PCM level.

Sound Recorder is not available in Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon but I recall having used it some time ago.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Mint4Me@52

Post by Mint4Me@52 »

kyphi wrote:I followed your steps and opened a music file first before opening Audacity - the clicked on the "Record" button. Sound waves were barely visible and sound was faint on playback. I clicked on "Effects" and selected "Amplify" from the list. Sound waves displayed and sound was audible.

Next I opened Audacity before opening a music file. It played normally and recorded and played back normally.

Audacity is quite a complicated program to use and reading the manual may be of benefit:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/

Since the sound is low when you try to record, you could have a look at the settings in Alsamixer to ensure that your soundcard has been selected as well as the PCM level.

Sound Recorder is not available in Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon but I recall having used it some time ago.

Thanks[quote="kyphi"
I have tried the" Effects" >"Amplify" and there was no change, when I am trying to record into Audacity good quality sound is coming out of the external desktop speakers.
I downloaded the Manual and couldn't find any help there.
I have no idea where to locate the Alsamixer or how to select the PMC level, I will be at a Linux Users group meeting tonight and will enlist their help using your
suggestions. I think the soundcard is the most likely cause of the problem but it is just getting too tech for my level of computer knowledge.
I will let you know if I get Audacity working, when and how .
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

To access Alsamixer, open a terminal and type in

Code: Select all

alsamixer
and then press Enter. You can adjust all the input levels with your up/down keys.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”