No Games installed by default in Mint? [Solved]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

No Games installed by default in Mint? [Solved]

Post by anandrkris »

Just curious, if the aim is to have average desktop users, would having few default games hurt? Is it that installing default games would bloat the ISO size?

I know, they are just a click away through S/W manager. Trying to understand if it is a conscious design choice.

I am not an avid gamer myself, i just play Supertuxkart once in a while. 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: No Games installed by default in Mint?

Post by dawgdoc »

I haven't been active in the forums for several years, but yes, it was originally a design choice to not include games in the default install. As you said, the choice was made to keep the iso size down.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

dawgdoc wrote:I haven't been active in the forums for several years, but yes, it was originally a design choice to not include games in the default install. As you said, the choice was made to keep the iso size down.
Thanks for sharing, I was keen to know as I saw a critical review of LMDE where not having Games was one of the gripe. Am not suggesting that we should have games, by default. We can't please all. :wink:
The only set of applications not installed, are games. Not a single game application is installed, but that seems to be the tradition with both lines of Linux Mint distributions.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

But I think this has to change in the coming release. They must include some card games for new Windows comers just to familirize them :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

actually, it would be better with no games,
- but include how to <easily> get some ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jahid

Post by jahid »

I think "mines" and "sudoku" will be a better choice if LM is going to add some by default....just a thought..... :D
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Zorba wrote:But I think this has to change in the coming release. They must include some card games for new Windows comers just to familirize them :D
Can't happen, I don't think there are any interns that can go unrewarded for their efforts on the Mint team. :mrgreen:
RonanC

Post by RonanC »

A few basic games built in would be great.
Something to link in with Linux Mint.
When you think of windows you think of minesweeper, solitaire and pinball.
These games are intertwined with windows, like mascots for the OS.
We need a few lightweight mascot games pre-installed :)
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I like Mint the way it is now... no games. If I want games, I'll install only the ones I want.
anandrkris

Re: No Games installed by default in Mint? [Solved]

Post by anandrkris »

Marking it as solved, as heard the answer from Clem himself here
... Will Mint consider adding few games by default, even installer should talk about availability of games in Linux. (IIRC it does not atm). I know, it bloats ISO size still…

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=161970

Edit by Clem: Well ideally you want gamers to find out how/where to get great games, but you don’t want to annoy non-gamers with it (it’s irrelevant to them) and there’s also the fact that the gaming industry is very similar to the movie industry and that indie game development is similar to art somehow, so it’s an area which is a bit different than software and where developers/makers traditionally need to rely on commercial models.. and that clashes a bit with our culture and our promotion of Free and Open Source. So it’s not always easy to mix all that and to promote gaming efficiently. I definitely wouldn’t want to have games installed by default for instance, free or not. We can do a lot on our side to improve life for gamers but we need to be careful not to alienate anyone when doing so.

Return to “Gaming”