What is mint4win

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxguy1083

What is mint4win

Post by linuxguy1083 »

I know mint4win is windows app of linux mint if im wrong can someone point it out thx
Can someone basically tell me what it is and do i need to make a dvd or something im a noob so yeah :D bye.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: What is mint4win

Post by karlchen »

Hello, linuxguy1083.

mint4win is the Mint version of Wubi. Please, read Psychocat's explanation on what Wubi is and how it works: Installing a dual-boot with Windows without partitioning.
Official Ubuntu Wubi Guide

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
W2BLC

Post by W2BLC »

This is all very interesting, however after reading many of the following posts I have gathered mint4win is no longer available. Too bad, this would have answered many of my assorted application problems.

Notice the stale dates of the posts to this forum.

Any later info out there?

Bill W2BLC
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

W2BLC wrote:mint4win is no longer available.
We will see. Ubuntu 14.04 brings along Wubi. - It seems to be a known limitation that Wubi can only be used on machines the harddisks of which use good old MBRs. - Just for the fun of it, I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Trusty Tahr on a Windows 7 machine through Wubi.
Too bad, this would have answered many of my assorted application problems.
Hm, I admit that I fail to see the relation. Linux Mint installed on a dedicated disk partition and Linux Mint installed in a root.disk container file by Mint4win will run the same applications in the same way.

Mint4win were invented for new Linux Mint users who did not dare repartition their NTFS disk partitions in order to free up unused harddisk space where Linux Mint could be installed.
Notice the stale dates of the posts to this forum.
Again I fail to understand what you are talking about. Care to explain?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
W2BLC

Post by W2BLC »

stale dates - the dates of the postings regarding this topic all seem quite old - not exactly a new and hot topic.
W2BLC

Post by W2BLC »

Guess I didn't make myself clear on the software applications problem. I several programs that are Windows only with nothing similar available for Linux. I do not care for dual boot, due to the time wasted in the rebooting process. Currently I maintain several computers running constantly - one of them is now Linux 17 Cinnamon.

Day to day stuff is handled on the Linux machine - specialized projects on the Windows machines.

To be able to quickly bring up Linux or Windows on the same machine would be a great efficiency move.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

W2BLC

I believe the solution you are looking for is not as far away as you think..

Mint4Win may no longer be an option, however a virtual machine may be.

Moment of honesty, I have never used a virtual machine so am not in any position to advise you on the specifics :(

There are people here that do run virtual machines inside their linux setups that should be able to advise though. I, humbly, suggest a little googling followed by a new topic asking for specific advice on what you want to run and how.

Hope this helps
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Bill.

In order to startup Linux Mint, installed through Mint4win, you have to shutdown Windows completely and reboot in the same way as you would have to do if Windows and Linux Mint had their own dedicated and strictly separated disk partitions.
The main difference between a normal dual boot system Linux Mint and Windows on the one hand and a Mint4win installed Linux Mint and Windows on the other hand is this:
The normal Linux Mint installation will live on a dedicated disk partition, formatted as an EXT4 filesystem (very likely EXT4). Windows will live on its own dedicated disk partition, formatted as an NTFS filesystem (very likely NTFS).
The Mint4win Linux Mint installation does not have a dedicated disk partition. Rather it uses a large container file named root.disk. root.disk lives on the Windows NTFS filesystem. Nonetheless only one operating system can be startup up at any point in time: either Windows or Linux Mint.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
W2BLC

Post by W2BLC »

Looks like a Virtual Machine will be the only way to do this. Having tried this in the past, I will continue using dedicated machines.

Thank you to those whom replied.

Bill W2BLC
Umbra Polaris

Post by Umbra Polaris »

installed Mint 17 on a VM (Virtual Box because it is free and allows multiple snapshots) , the only con is that you will run in Software Rendering Mode

http://i.imgur.com/I8s75iL.jpg
JohnBlood

Post by JohnBlood »

At one time there was a project to allow you to run Ubuntu as an application so you could try it wihout it affecting your Windows setup (it was not Wubi). I tried it and it ran terribly. Operating systems are not meant to be run on the same machine, unless you have one in a virtual environment. So, in a way I'm glad that min4win is dead. It would have caused a lot more problems than it would solve.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

JohnBlood wrote:[...] I'm glad that min4win is dead. It would have caused a lot more problems than it would solve.
Knowing that mint4win is a fork of Ubuntu's wubi, I wonder why no major problem has resulted from doing such a nasty thing as running
+ a Wubi installation of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx from 2010 till 2012
+ a Mint4win installation of Linux Mint 13 Maya from 2012 till today
+ a Wubi installation of Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr since May 2014
on a Windows 7 office machine, i.e. one which is used every day?
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”