drivers for hp compaq 15-h024

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lulatschking

drivers for hp compaq 15-h024

Post by lulatschking »

dear all, it is the first time in my live i am in touch with linux. i bought a hp compaq 15-024 (for more details go to: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/noteboo ... aq+15+h024). i have installed linux mint 15 because for 16 i always got the message "x server failed... graphical interface..." something like that. it did not even start from the usb. with 15 it worked. i am not very familiar with computers at all so maybe you can tell me where to get the drivers for my notebook and how to install them. on the hp website you only get drivers for windows... thank you from germany, michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: drivers for hp compaq 15-h024

Post by karlchen »

Hello, lulatschking.

As a rule Linux Mint will do a pretty good job in detecting the hardware components of a machine and in installing the appropriate drivers automatically. Therefore, in most cases there will be no need to download and install any driver software manually.
Is there a particular reason why you think you will have to download and install a driver manually?
You might open a terminal window and execute this commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Post the complete screen output here. This will give us a concise overview on your system configuration. It should give a hint, too, whether your graphics card has been identified and whether the right drivers are in use.

About Mint 15 vs Mint 16:
Actually, though you may not like this statement, Mint 15 is not the best choice, because Mint 15 has passed the end of its supported life at the end of January 2014.
As Mint 16 refused to boot the live system out of the box, I guess Mint 15 might be a temporary workaround till Mint 17 has been released. This might be around May I guess. (The previous LTS edition was released in May 2012) Mint 17 will be supported for 5 years. So in case the Mint 17 live system should work fine, Mint 17 might be the way to go.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
lulatschking

Post by lulatschking »

hi karl,

thank you for your quick reply! i wonder whether all the drivers are really installed because if i want to watch a youtube video it is actually not worth looking on the screen. looks like the video is played in slow motion... when i want to write something (as i am doing right now for example) it takes about a second to be showed on the screen. also at the start there is a black window appearing on the right upper side that says something like a lot of your cpu might be used... i do not know. it is not there at the moment and as english is not my mtoher tongue i do not remember well what it said. next time i start the computer i will post it and write it down. i did the thing you told me it gave the following lines:

sidi@sidi-Compaq-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ code: select all
code:: command not found
sidi@sidi-Compaq-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: sidi-Compaq-15-Notebook-PC Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: Compaq 15 Notebook PC version: 0990100000000000001600087
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 21F7 version: 52.0D Bios: Insyde version: F.02 date: 11/15/2013
CPU:       Dual core AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 3992.24 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Kabini [Radeon HD 8210] bus-ID: 00:01.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,radeon) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1368x768@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9840 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (0.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF0 size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 455G used: 3.9G (1%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.71GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: 20.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 153 Uptime: 1:42 Memory: 802.9/3403.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
sidi@sidi-Compaq-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, MICHAEL
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added surrounding [code] tags ;-)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi Michael.

Seems you are right. The inxi lines about the graphics drivers do not look right.

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Kabini [Radeon HD 8210] bus-ID: 00:01.0
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,radeon) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1368x768@0.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
To be precise the middle line looks wrong:
  • loaded ati - ok, an ATI driver should be loaded
  • unloaded: fbdev, radeon: fbdev - frame buffer device should be unloaded, this is all right. But radeon should be loaded. The ATI cards are the only cards which I know that make Mint load 2 drivers: ati, radeon. At least this is what I see on my Packard Bell notebook. And a lot of other inxi reports seem to confirm this is correct.
    Suspected error: radeon driver should be loaded, too, but it is not.
  • FAILED: vesa. - Like fbdev, vesa should not be loaded after the grub boot screen any longer. So the bad thing is not that loading it failed, but that Mint is trying to load vesa instead of radeon.
    Suspected error: Mint tried to load the vesa driver
  • Actually, this is what the line should have looked like if everything were all right:

X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati, radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)  Resolution: 1368x768@0.0hz
As there is a (double) problem affecting the loaded graphics drivers, it is not amazing that playing videos (flash or no flash) causes trouble as well.

I'll google around a bit to see whether there is any special instruction around how to make ATI Kabini [Radeon HD 8210] co-operate. Maybe you are not the first one ...

P.S. #1:
Wow, Radeon HD 8210 has been certified to run on Ubuntu. - Cf. here. - Hey, why the heck does it cause trouble then? - The certication applies to "Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64-bit", not to Mint 15 64-bit (= Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit). Hm, might make a difference.

P.S. #2:
This article seems to suggest that Mint 15 and Mint 16 (Ubuntu 13.04 and Ubuntu 13.10) are not brand new enough, but that Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04) will be the ideal platforms for your notebook and its ATI Radeon card. - Cf. AMD Kabini HD 8210: RadeonSI Gallium3D Can Outperform Catalyst - May be right. May be not. - Does not automatically mean that it cannot be used with the current Mint version.

P.S. #3:
If need should be getting the genuine ATI/AMD driver software from the manufacturer website, then the best address will be the ATI/AMD websites, not the HP website I guess.
But before trying the hard way, i.e. getting the driver from ATI/AMD and following their manual installation instruction steps, I would like to suggest giving the Linux Mint 15 Driver Manager a chance. See the section about "Driver Manager" here, please: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php.
Launch the "Driver Manager". Be a bit patient. Hopefully it will list a recent ATIT/AMD Catalist software package and label it "(recommended)". If it does, then select the recommended package and click [Apply changes]. - Once you have lcicked the [Apply Changes] button, please, be patient. Downloading the driver package can be time consuming. Installing the driver software may take its time, too, though your machine should be fast.
Provided the installation succeeds, I suggest to reboot nonetheless, even though you may not be told to do so, in order to make sure the graphics driver will be loaded and used after a reboot, too.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
lulatschking

Post by lulatschking »

hi karl, i`ll it try tonight. thank you very much for your quick reply!!
lulatschking

Post by lulatschking »

hi karl, i launched the driver manager and i think he also gave me those options you told me about. the problem is that i can not click on "apply changes". well, i can click on but nothing happens. seems like the changes have already applied... i did a screenshot and saved it with gimp but i do not how to send it to you... when i want to upload it they tell me that those files are not allowed. thank you for your help, michael
thanosfrag

Post by thanosfrag »

Hi lulatschking,

You can upload an image by publishing the image through a cloud storage service (e.g. dropbox, Ubuntu one) and then post the link on the textbox. That's how I usually overcome this problem.

I thought it would be good to share the following thought and experiences.

In terms of installing LM16 cinnamon, I faced a similar problem with my HP Compaq CQ58 feedos laptop. In my case, the following solution worked like a charm.

Plugged my live usb and waited until the grub menu appeared. Then, I edited the grub by pressing 'e'. Then I went to the line starting with the word linux and ending with the words: quiet splash. I replaced ''quiet splash'' with ''nomodeset'' and then pressed ''Cntr + X'' to boot. The black screen appeared again after the installation. I initially repeated the above solution, however, I realised that it was the backlight that caused the black screen. I simply pressed the F3 key which is set to increase the screen brightness on my laptop. Once logged in to my freshly installed Mint, I installed my graphic card's drivers, which I found on the manufacturers website - it was Intel in my case.

I also tried the latest Ubuntu 13.10 64bit which actually works like a charm on my freedos laptop. Nevertheless, I found Ubuntu quite hefty and spying. In case you need to use your brand new laptop asap, you may give it a try it through a live usb. If it works, then you may decide to run it until you eventually manage to set Mint properly on you laptop. In my case, I decided for various reasons to have both on my laptop.

Good luck!
Thanosfrag
lulatschking

Post by lulatschking »

hi, i tried to install mint 16 by writing nomodoset and it worked but the next time i started the notebook the same message appeared "x server..." and linux did not start. well i installed mint 15 again :-) here is the screenshot from mint 15 when i launched the driver manager:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39eckm9jp4p02 ... enshot.xcf

thank you both for your help! i think i will try to download the driver from the amd site. well, hope i will manage it. i am not good in computers... i want to but i do not have the time at the moment...

michael
thanosfrag

Post by thanosfrag »

Hi lulatschking,

Glad to hear that you sorted most of it out :)

In terms of the nomodeset, you can replace the ''quite splash'' parameter with that of ''nomodeset'' permanently. See this link for more details (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132), especially ''How to permanently set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)'' section in the middle of the page.

My only concern is that you are running a non-supported version of Mint :!: It is not wise to run a non-supported OS. Your system may be subject to serious security risks.

:idea: Did you try the latest 64bit version of Ubuntu? Please try it. If it works, you could keep it until LM17 is released.

In terms of drivers, I found that user Christiaan (http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=145941) has got the same graphic card on his laptop. If I was you, I would write him and ask him to share his graphic card experience. In addition, I would peruse the hardware support section of this forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=49) for additional information, advices and solutions.

Good luck,
Thanosfrag
lulatschking

Post by lulatschking »

hi guys, sorry for the late response but i was very busy the last days... actually i bought a new notebook for a friend in africa so i did take it as an opportunity to get my first experiences with linux. i did send it to africa now so the problem is not up to date anymore... but i skipped windows on my acer netbook and i am using linux mint 16 on it now. it works very well. thank you for your support!!! Michael

Return to “Beginner Questions”