LMDE MATE not working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Minterator

LMDE MATE not working

Post by Minterator »

I just discovered LMDE completely by accident. Neat concept, it does away with ubuntu and is auto-updating. But if it pooches, ya gotta fix it?

First I installed in VM under host LM13. Installs fine, but Synaptic & software manager are unable to fetch anything. Error msg claims problem with internet connection, but Firefox works just fine. Also, Preferences > Appearance works the first time, after it that crashes & requires system reset.

Next I tried installing to bare metal AMD Sabertooth R2.0 machine. Boot menu OK, but appears to hang at USB3 detection, both in standard & recovery mode.

Time wasted: ~2hrs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minterator

Re: LMDE MATE not working

Post by Minterator »

Synaptic error:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/pool/main/libg/libglademm2.4/libglademm-2.4-1c2a_2.6.7-2_amd64.deb
  500  Internal Server Error

W: Failed to fetch http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/pool/main/g/gnome-color-chooser/gnome-color-chooser_0.2.5-1_amd64.deb
  404  Not Found
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

There's some issue with this mirror. Switch to another one using Software Sources (or mintsources from the terminal).
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Monsta wrote:There's some issue with this mirror. Switch to another one using Software Sources (or mintsources from the terminal).

Miracle :shock: This fixed my issue here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=161626

Maaany thanks :D
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Another problem: OS randomly starts opening x-caja-desktop windows indefinitely... hundreds of them.
Jim Shaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jim Shaffer »

Minterator wrote:Another problem: OS randomly starts opening x-caja-desktop windows indefinitely... hundreds of them.
I just ran into this today and I'd love to know if there's a solution.

I've been testing LMDE in Virtualbox for a while, and the worst problem I had was that sometimes the menu wouldn't appear -- there would be no menu button in the taskbar. But I had also experimented with a lot of themes -- a LOT of themes -- so I assumed that I had somehow broken it with a bad theme. But it always came back if I restarted.

Two days ago I installed LMDE to a partition. Everything seemed OK until today when suddenly I got the infinite x-caja-desktop windows. I don't even know what I was doing when it happened. I managed to log out and back in, when not only did I get the infinite windows again (NOT the TEN windows that I keep seeing bug reports about when trying to search for this problem, an infinite number!), but also the menu button was missing! I shutdown the system by opening a terminal by right-clicking on the desktop and quickly dragging it to a corner that wasn't being covered by caja windows. I rebooted to Windows and haven't gone back since to see if it's going to happen every time. But it's very frustrating that other than you, NOBODY seems to be reporting this same problem.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Jim Shaffer wrote:
Minterator wrote:Another problem: OS randomly starts opening x-caja-desktop windows indefinitely... hundreds of them.
I just ran into this today and I'd love to know if there's a solution.

I've been testing LMDE in Virtualbox for a while, and the worst problem I had was that sometimes the menu wouldn't appear -- there would be no menu button in the taskbar. But I had also experimented with a lot of themes -- a LOT of themes -- so I assumed that I had somehow broken it with a bad theme. But it always came back if I restarted.

Two days ago I installed LMDE to a partition. Everything seemed OK until today when suddenly I got the infinite x-caja-desktop windows. I don't even know what I was doing when it happened. I managed to log out and back in, when not only did I get the infinite windows again (NOT the TEN windows that I keep seeing bug reports about when trying to search for this problem, an infinite number!), but also the menu button was missing! I shutdown the system by opening a terminal by right-clicking on the desktop and quickly dragging it to a corner that wasn't being covered by caja windows. I rebooted to Windows and haven't gone back since to see if it's going to happen every time. But it's very frustrating that other than you, NOBODY seems to be reporting this same problem.
It happens when you click on something in caja. A bad loop in the code.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Today's update of Caja (1.6.2-3+lmde) should hopefully fix the issue with these x-caja-desktop windows.
Windowsfree2013

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

Monsta wrote:Today's update of Caja (1.6.2-3+lmde) should hopefully fix the issue with these x-caja-desktop windows.
Thanks for this info, this has been happening randomly to me. I will update later today.
Windowsfree2013

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

since the update, i have not had this issue
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad it worked for you !
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Drop-drop files in caja doesn't work either. Copies one file/dir then stops.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE MATE - Caja window driving me CRAZY(er)!

Post by jharris1993 »

Windowsfree2013 wrote:since the update, i have not had this issue
I have just installed Mint 13, 64 bit, MATE desktop, fully up-to-date, and I am still having this annoying issue where the caja desktop window periodically shows up. One instance only, but it shows up.

I was messing with Mint 16, and the Mate desktop there did not appear to have this issue (AFAIK), but in 13 its a pain in the tush.

I've tried editing the conf file and setting auto restart to false. One poster in another thread suggested adding "--sync", but didn't specify where or how.
Viz.: https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/100

Synaptic shows Caja fully up-to-date as of this instant date (April 20th, 2014).

Any ideas short of two sticks of dynamite or a 12 gage double-barreled shotgun?
(I'd really prefer to use either one of those on my M$ box that needs a bare-metal reinstall every year or so just to clean out the cruft!)

What say ye?

Jim (J.R.)

Update:

A workaround that seems to work for me - at least it has so far - is to select the session selector at login, and select "Xclient Script" instead of Mate. I'd like to know if this works for anyone else too.

This is really annoying, and I'd like to see a permenant, permentant fix.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “LMDE Archive”