Control+Alt+Delete > End Task

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mstpierre
Level 1
Level 1

Control+Alt+Delete > End Task

Post by mstpierre »

I've been trying out the Linux Mint live disc for a couple of days now, and I like it a lot! I'm hoping to do a dual boot on my laptop soon.

I installed VLC Media Player and had it stream a file off of my home theater pc. It worked fine 'til I started messing around with some settings, then it froze up. I had the player and preferences windows open and they wouldn't respond to anything besides minimizing/maximizing.

In Windows, I could Control+Alt+Delete, then "End Task" an unresponsive program and that would (usually) take care of things.

So how would I "End Task" a program in Linux Mint?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mstpierre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mstpierre »

Nice. Thank you metapy, that did it!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Control+Alt+Delete > End Task

Post by scorp123 »

mstpierre wrote:So how would I "End Task" a program in Linux Mint?
Bring up a "Run ..." dialogue as suggested by the other posters in this thread, enter this program name: xkill

Your mouse cursor will turn into a skull with crossbones, i.e. it will look like a pirate flag.

Click on the program you wish to kill .... and pooooof!!! it's gone :wink:

Return to “Other topics”