Files deleting

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
allanh

Files deleting

Post by allanh »

Hello,

I am trying to transfer files from my laptop to a netbook machine using a USB memory stick. On inserting the stick into the machine running LMDE they get dumped into the trash can and the source files are deleted.

Any ideas as to what is wrong.

Regards,

Allan Hambidge
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Files deleting

Post by killer de bug »

I would disable automount for a while and try to mount manually the USB stick to /mnt ou /tmp just to see if things are better. You have probably a problem with automount. It's like your stick is mounted into the dustbin :)
allanh

Post by allanh »

Hello,

I removed the auto-mount in the trash can settings and it still deletes as before.

Regards,

Allan Hambidge
allanh

Post by allanh »

Hello,

I unclicked all of the behavior-media handling settings and transferred the files OK.

Regards,

Allan Hambidge
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Interesting. You can try to work on the default behavior before authorizing automount again. :wink:
allanh

Post by allanh »

Hello,

I have disabled automount and it seems to allow me to use USB memory sticks. However, a file that I had copied to the Desktop was dumped into the trashcan when I tried to change the file name. It is not recoverable from the trashcan and has to be completely deleted. Most strange behaviour and a problem. This is a an EeePC net book running LMDE.

Allan Hambidge
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Where do I go to authorize/deauthorize automount ? I can't see any obvious place in System Settings or Preferences. Also, how do I get to trashcan settings ?

I would prefer not to use a terminal, I prefer GUI solutions :-)

Ron
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ron_h wrote:Where do I go to authorize/deauthorize automount ? I can't see any obvious place in System Settings or Preferences. Also, how do I get to trashcan settings ?
What desktop are you using? Cinnamon?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I am using LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64-bit system.

Ron
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In Cinnamon, disable automount in System Settings > Applications & Removable Media
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

In System Settings > Applications & Removable Media I can't see automount specified anywhere ....

Also, NOT included in the list of Removeable Media are Data DVDs, Data CDs and USB memory devices. Are these specified elsewhere ?

Ron

Return to “LMDE Archive”