LMDE version questions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE version questions

Post by Earl_Hickey »

Hi

I'm new to linux having only played with live disks and usb before and have been given some advice in this thread to try the LDME edition due to not needing to re-install regularly and being effectively supported forever. After having a go with the live USB versions, I'd like to know if the consensus is that LMDE version is suitable for someone new to linux, who knows nothing about terminal.

The main advantage I can see with LMDE over Mint main is it is available now whereas I would wait until end of May for 17 LTS for support reasons, but this doesn't feel the right reason to go for LMDE over main...

I've also read that LDME is based on older kernels and bases, which may actually be better for my hardware, but is there a downside to this (or is it even the case)?

Thanks all.

P.S. If anyone can recommend a really good DVD authoring tool for linux (which lets you create custom menus like Nero Vision Express on Windows, I'd be really grateful!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
py-thon

Re: LMDE version questions

Post by py-thon »

The consensus is rather that LMDE is NOT suitable for someone new to Linux who knows nothing about terminal (see http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php ).

I'll try to simplify a bit:
LMDE is not based on older kernels. Some time it is ahead of current Mint main edition (currently 16), some time Mint main edition is a bit ahead of LMDE. It is almost always more advanced than older versions of the main edition (currently Mint 13 LTS).
On average LMDE is supplied with new packages twice a year (update packs) and very little in between. Mint main edition receives updates more frequently but doesn't receive version updates of software (e.g. you will get a new version of libreoffice with the update pack in LMDE whereas you will never get a new version of libreoffice with the updates in Mint main edition, you will only get security and bug fixes for the old version).
If you have a non-PAE processor LMDE has the advantage of still offering a non-PAE version (32-bit) by default. It is not clear whether Mint 17 will.
The situation being as it is I would advise to try the LMDE live-DVD. If you like it and it installs without problem you most probably won't need the terminal any more than you would with Mint main edition within the first weeks/months. This will be different with the next update pack which supplies the system with more of less 1 GB of new packages. People with very individual systems have encountered serious problems with the update packs. In my experience the UPs were hardly any more difficult than the updates in Mint's main edition (just a lot more data). But until the next UP you will have a few months to get acquainted with the terminal and Linux as such.
If you prefer to keep things as simple as possible, install Mint 13 (Support for three more years, which should be sufficient considering you mentioned older hardware which won't live forever).
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I agree with what py-thon said, it would be wise to start with a main edition, and get used to Mint. Then jump over to LMDE, I did that and it helped knowing my way around Mint. But whatever you decide, we are hear to help each other if you get stuck, or have a problem. :)
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

Crewp wrote:I agree with what py-thon said, it would be wise to start with a main edition, and get used to Mint. Then jump over to LMDE, I did that and it helped knowing my way around Mint. But whatever you decide, we are hear to help each other if you get stuck, or have a problem. :)
Thanks for the reply (and to py-thon).

The main draw of LMDE was that it is available now and won't need upgrading, and I've not had any problems with either of the MATE or Cinnamon versions, but haven't exactly done anything major yet.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next LTS version as it's so near rather than 13 LTS as, if I'd need to upgrade anyway (and I'd want to :wink: ), I may as well start with 16. But I don't like waiting :twisted:

Thanks again.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Current Mint LTS still have 3 years support. You will have a lot of updates after installing, but you won't have to worry about running out of support anytime soon. As mentioned, LMDE is a very bad idea for people new to Linux.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I think that LMDE is fine. What is the problem? Other than being based on Debian instead of Ubuntu and Debian they seem to be the same. I do think that the installer, for advanced users, could use some work but other than that what else is the problem? It is very stable and easy to use.
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

Distro-Don wrote:I think that LMDE is fine. What is the problem? Other than being based on Debian instead of Ubuntu and Debian they seem to be the same. I do think that the installer, for advanced users, could use some work but other than that what else is the problem? It is very stable and easy to use.
I don't know - hence the queries! :wink:

I know 13 still has 3 years support, but for the sake of a few weeks of waiting, it is probably worth just playing with the live DVDs for the time being and wait for 17. I still have to work out if I prefer Cinnamon or MATE! The good thing I see about Linux is the choice, but choice can also be a bad thing for the indecisive...
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Well having run both LM 15 Mate for months and then switching to LMDE I don't see the problem at all. The new release is really stable and the learning curve (if you're new to Linux) is identical despite what the distro page says. http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php I think that's an ancient blurb that says it's "less user friendly". There's certainly no more required using of terminal commands than any other distro.

There's just no difference imho, but that's just me. :) I've seen a few posts here that agree it's more stable and has less problems (Mate especially). If you've used it at all recently, it's the absolute best!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Many people had problems with latest LMDE update pack. The main Mint LTS releases are closer to Debian Stable than LMDE. LMDE is based on Debian Testing, which means more issues with bugs and breakage. The last Debian Testing that went into freeze had 800 to 1,000 bugs if memory serves, and was in freeze a very long time before being released as Stable.
Ubuntu LTS takes Debian Testing and squashes as many big bugs as possible before release. The LMDE update packs can lessen the breaks, but the update packs are so huge they can create their own problems. For your more experienced user, LMDE can be a good way to learn more about Linux. But for new users? An LTS main release is much better IMO and I am a fan of Debian.
Ubuntu LTS
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
LMDE
http://linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php
daspicer

Post by daspicer »

I vote LMDE rather than Ubuntu. I just started using Linux, or rather distro hopping last year. Since then I've tried most of the major distributions, including Arch Linux. It's amazing what you can learn in a short period of time if you're willing to dive in and get your hands dirty.

The first thing that I did after installing LMDE Cinnamon is update the kernel from Debian Testing (3.13). I knew from running other distros that 3.11 wasn't going to cut it with my abandoned ATI/AMD legacy graphics. Then I installed KDE Full, and I'm absolutely loving LMDE KDE. It's all I can do to keep from turning LMDE loose on Sid :-)

Personally, with new Linux users that are not interested in learning Linux, I recommend PCLinuxOS since you rarely (if ever) have to use the terminal; and it's a rolling distribution.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

KBD47 wrote:Many people had problems with latest LMDE update pack. The main Mint LTS releases are closer to Debian Stable than LMDE. LMDE is based on Debian Testing, which means more issues with bugs and breakage.
Well, KBD47 is right about this. :oops: I was lucky with UP8 and had no issues, but I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I've had no problems with LMDE to speak of since the latest release, but he's correct about it being based on Debian Testing. So the chance is always there, maybe greater for an issue to pop up.
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

daspicer wrote:I vote LMDE rather than Ubuntu. I just started using Linux, or rather distro hopping last year. Since then I've tried most of the major distributions, including Arch Linux. It's amazing what you can learn in a short period of time if you're willing to dive in and get your hands dirty.

The first thing that I did after installing LMDE Cinnamon is update the kernel from Debian Testing (3.13). I knew from running other distros that 3.11 wasn't going to cut it with my abandoned ATI/AMD legacy graphics. Then I installed KDE Full, and I'm absolutely loving LMDE KDE. It's all I can do to keep from turning LMDE loose on Sid :-)

Personally, with new Linux users that are not interested in learning Linux, I recommend PCLinuxOS since you rarely (if ever) have to use the terminal; and it's a rolling distribution.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll give it a go this week (I see the default DE is KDE which I haven't played with but must admit I like Cinnamon from my using the live disks).

As for the 'not interested in learning Linux' - I don't think I'd be able to not when I have installed and switched from XP - I have a background in programming and love learning new systems, which is a massive draw to Linux as I know next to nothing about it.
daspicer

Post by daspicer »

I of course meant the inner workings of the OS rather than the desktop environments. Once you learn to use the Synaptic Package Manager you're all set. PCLinuxOS uses it rather than the terminal (Command Prompt) to do almost everything, including updates. It's not cutting edge, but it is solid as a rock. It also has a very interesting history dating back to 2003, when it was originally forked from Mandrake Linux, which later became Mandriva Linux.

If you prefer Cinnamon, it can be installed via the Synaptic Package Manager (task-cinnamon). In fact, if Cinnamon is your desired DE, I would download and install Mate rather than KDE. Then update the system, install Cinnamon, reboot, and choose Cinnamon.

Return to “LMDE Archive”