Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crewp

Re: Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Post by Crewp »

My 2 cents is, if Ubuntu is advertising that's good. I cut my Linux teeth on Ubuntu, like allot of Linux user's have. Once you learn a little about Linux, and all the distro's, you start the distro hop, and when you find your comfort distro, well your home. :mrgreen:
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

I'm not sure what's better for XP users, truthfully. I would posit that there will be quite a number who have no plans to move away from it any time soon, particularly those who don't use their PCs all that often except to check email and browse the web for some information. Others may just lock down and ride out the predicted apocalypse proposed by the hysterical. Some probably aren't even aware of the whole support cutoff thing, and may not have any idea what it might mean even if they did.

I'm surprised at the number of XP users I actually know. I've helped two of them when they've asked. For one I installed SolydX and the other SolydK. I got them all set up and haven't heard a peep out of either one so things must be running all right. I settled on Solyd because of the update cycle and not having to completely reinstall every time some distro wants to upgrade to a new release. That bit of process will put any number of people off. I could have waited and used Mint 17 LTS but Solyd will work just fine for those two folks.

Microsoft is starting to stress over it, it seems. I read where they will offer $100 off any Win 8 PC bought through the Microsoft store to anyone "upgrading" from XP, so long at the PC costs at least $699, I think. I would bet XP users won't be abandoning ship in droves, though, and probably not to Win 8 in large numbers. It will take a while for them to migrate, and likely won't be the stampede toward Win 8 Microsoft is praying for.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade. This alert will pop up once a month, apparently forever.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

"The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade"

just remove KB2934207, check the box to not prompt again.
Easy fixed.

- disable updates & keep the AV up2date.
good for another few years, or so .. ..

- barring any H/W failures, that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think that warning might scare some users into buying new computers, which of course is what Microsoft wants.
I think XP has been unsecure for years. XP viruses are what brought me to Linux. I can't imagine the situation will get any better without the security patches. Just sad to think how many of those useful old machines will end up in landfills. I've already received two such machines in the past few months and have them happily running Linux.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pierre wrote:"The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade"

just remove KB2934207, check the box to not prompt again.
Easy fixed.

- disable updates & keep the AV up2date.
good for another few years, or so .. ..

- barring any H/W failures, that is.
Sometimes experts forget that what we know is not universal. The very people most likely to keep using XP are the very ones least qualified to keep it secure.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”