(Solved!) PulseAudio Mic Issue - Aspire One + Linux Mint 13

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved!) PulseAudio Mic Issue - Aspire One + Linux Mint 13

Post by darkstrike »

Hey all,

I've got an Aspire One for a friend (can't remember the exact model as I don't have it with me at present) that I just installed Linux Mint 13 on and everything works perfectly....except the Mic (which she NEEDS for Skype to be able to talk to her ill sister in England). I've checked all the volume sliders for the mic, they're all at max, I've installed the GNOME Alsa Mixer and the Pulseaudio Control Panel thing (again, I forget the exact name of that program as I don't have the comp here with me atm...paucontrol or something?) and everything seems set right there as well, but I still don't hear anything from the mic but static.

When I try Skype with the Echo test service, the mic only records static. A mic icon appears at the bottom-right, it's slider is at full, but that seems to make no difference...

I had read somewhere that switching the machine over completely from PulseAudio to ALSA would probably solve the problem as people with similar issues solved theirs that way.....how would I go about making the switch and completely removing PulseAudio so I could use ALSA instead to get the mic working...?

THANKS for any help, we'd both be greatful! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: PulseAudio Mic Issue - Aspire One + Linux Mint 13

Post by wyrdoak »

In terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
then launch

pavucontrol

Then:

Click the "input devices" tab. Click the lock icon to unlock channels. Set the front right channel to silence.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

I never did get the mic working on my acer one ZG5 so i used a plug in one however I have just changed that machine to Peppermint to save space on the SSD. and now the on board mic works fine
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

wyrdoak wrote:In terminal:

then launch

pavucontrol

Then:

Click the "input devices" tab. Click the lock icon to unlock channels. Set the front right channel to silence.
Thanks mate, I'll give that a try tomorrow and see how it works - I'll reply either way with the result!
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

BTW don't let Skype control the mic. or it will override your mic settings, putting you back to were you started.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

You mean the option in Skype for "Allow Skype to adjust microphone settings" ?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

yes don't let Skype adjust the mic settings or it will turn on the front right channel you just turned off.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Thanks for the tip - I don't usually set it to auto-adjust anyway as I find it's really bad at it, haha! I didn't get a chance to try it today as my friend wasn't home, but I am hoping to drop in tomorrow!
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Sorry for the late reply, but just wanted to let everybody know that this:
wyrdoak wrote:In terminal:

then launch

pavucontrol

Then:

Solved my problem! :) Thanks all!

Return to “Beginner Questions”