Linux just aint ready

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbanavara

Re: Linux just aint ready

Post by rbanavara »

yes... I completely agree. starcannon has put in the correct argument.

If we use expect ordinary users to work with linux just carry out their business, we should not expect them to Install / tweak the OS.

I am convinced (atleast for now)
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

There needs to be better linux support from hardware manufacturers.
To many issues with printers that don't work for example.

Why would the average user want to deal with that crap.
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

Since when is Windows 'out of the box'? The only time I've ever been able to install XP easily is on the hackjob computer I made for my stepbrother. It only worked because the parts were old and XP already had the drivers. On the same old hardware Linux Mint installed fine too.

If you use new hardware you'll have a hard time installing any OS. Only difference is manufacturers normally release drivers for the latest Windows. Linux doesn't have that benefit.

I do have to agree that Linux isn't ready for mainstream use. I think its fine for people who aren't tied to Windows in anyway but most people have invested in software. I still use Windows XP on my desktop because I don't really have problems with it and I like my games :). With my laptop that wasn't a concern since its not meant for gaming.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I suppose I've been lucky. I've never had a problem with any distro. Of course I also built my computer and used parts that I know work well with Linux. :lol:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

The desktop PC at home, the one used by my wife and kids, tripleboots Mint Elyssa, Ubuntu Hardy w/ OpenGEU, and XP.

What does everyone use? Its not XP! Its Mint. I have a storage box full of XP games. What would the kids rather play? What would my wife rather play? Anything with Tux and anything from gnome-games. XP offers us nothing, zilch, nada, except sloth and heartache.

I haven't encountered any glitches or incompatabilities running Linux that I did not also experience with XP, and fewer of those with Linux.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

The family was on a linux high for a little while but they are all back on XP mainly because of gaming.

I went back to XP because of the printer, fax and file server I built and on my kitchen pc the new Intel mobo with the Atom cpu has issues with linux. Granted, I have not tried to run Mint on it but I have no time to tinker.

Still have my ubuntu system but since it was moved out of the kitchen, it is sitting on a shelf in the basement unused.

I would like to try the Mint 5 final and also opensuse 11 when I get the chance ...

Return to “Chat about Linux”