Export custom theme/icons/wallpaper?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WheatThins

Export custom theme/icons/wallpaper?

Post by WheatThins »

Hello there, I'm wondering if it is possible to export your chosen settings in Mint 16 Petrol. Specifically, I'm using one theme, but controls, icons, window borders and cursors all from different themes. I have managed to build a pretty solid looking theme out of these to make Mint look like Windows XP, but am not sure how to either combine them all in to a theme or simply export my settings.

The reason I ask is I am attempting to make a LiveUSB boot with the current settings, and would ideally like to showcase mint to a few relatives who are still running on XP. Hopefully, if they see an environment that is very similar to what they're used to, they'll let me install it for them.

Any help is appreciated, I just need to know where the config files are, which ones I need, or if there's an easier way of doing this (ala clonezilla) then let me know!

EDIT: yes, I meant Petra, oops
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Export custom theme/icons/wallpaper?

Post by xenopeek »

Petrol? You mean Petra, or is Petrol some kind of desktop environment or program?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It sounds like you want to clone your Mint installation to a usb. A live Mint 16 usb would not do what you want.
First, install Mint 16 to your USB just as you would install it to any drive. Then copy all your config files (hidden files) in /home/yourusername/ to the /home/yourusername/ on the usb. Then copy the contents of your /usr/share/themes folder to the usb /usr/share/themes folder.

You can mirror your installed software with the Mint Backup program. That procedure will go much faster if you copy all the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to the usb /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
WheatThins

Post by WheatThins »

austin.texas wrote:It sounds like you want to clone your Mint installation to a usb. A live Mint 16 usb would not do what you want.
First, install Mint 16 to your USB just as you would install it to any drive. Then copy all your config files (hidden files) in /home/yourusername/ to the /home/yourusername/ on the usb. Then copy the contents of your /usr/share/themes folder to the usb /usr/share/themes folder.

You can mirror your installed software with the Mint Backup program. That procedure will go much faster if you copy all the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to the usb /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
Will this allow me to install it on a different computer but with the same programs/themes instaled?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you want to use the usb to install Mint you will need to install the Ubiquity (installer) program to the usb Mint installation
sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk

or if you are using KDE, the command would be
sudo apt-get install ubiquity

Use the Ubiquity program to install to your other computer.
Then repeat the cloning process I already described.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
WheatThins

Post by WheatThins »

Alternatively, upon editing my panel through the gui settings, that should update a conf file somewhere on the file system, correct?

Does anyone know just where that file is or what it's called? Same for window border, cursor, etc.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

WheatThins wrote:Alternatively, upon editing my panel through the gui settings, that should update a conf file somewhere on the file system, correct?
That is why you copy all your hidden files.
Linux Linx 2018
WheatThins

Post by WheatThins »

austin.texas wrote:
WheatThins wrote:Alternatively, upon editing my panel through the gui settings, that should update a conf file somewhere on the file system, correct?
That is why you copy all your hidden files.
But where in particular are they stored? I'm looking for names or at the very least directories. I saved and ported over every folder beginning with . in the home directory and I still have to manually reconfigure the theme.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The theme info is actually kept in .config/dconf which is a binary file
EDIT: And, of course, any changes (like replacing that file) require you to reboot or refresh Cinnamon.
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Linx 2018
n1tr0g3n

Post by n1tr0g3n »

Easiest way to create a live bootable USB or installable clone is to use remastersys and just follow the instructions in this link and download the 2 .debs needed. http://aprenderconlibertad.blogspot.com ... -1204.html I just used it to create my latest build off of Mint 16 Cinnamon and it worked flawlessly. I used the "Backup" Option and did not change any settings what so ever and had no issues. Hope this helps!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”