Linux Mint 14 Internet Issues

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dritz33

Linux Mint 14 Internet Issues

Post by dritz33 »

I've had Linux Mint installed for about a month now, with no major issues, save for one.

I'll have good internet connection, but it will come in and out. For example I can try downloading any file, and it'll work for a few seconds and then just stop. I can disconnect from the wifi I'm on and reconnect or just shut off the wifi and turn it back on and it'll work again for a few seconds and then do the same thing.

I hadn't posted anything about this because orginally I was going to try running an ethernet cable from upstairs into my room to see if that would fix the problem but that has been delayed so I'm turning to you all for help..

ALSO if anyone can help please explain in easy to follow terms, as I'm still not very familiar with the technological side of linux yet ;)

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* Was doing some digging and found other people with similarish problems and their adapters were showing up when they run lsusb in terminal. I don't know if this is relevant to my problem but the adapter does show up and I can't find the firmware file for ar9170 or ar9101

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0846:9001 NetGear, Inc. WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9170+AR9101]
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0111 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1532:002e Razer USA, Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1038:0510 Ideazon, Inc. 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dritz33

Re: Linux Mint 14 Internet Issues

Post by dritz33 »

Bump, anyone? :(
Fbeondo

Post by Fbeondo »

I have a similar problem. I get an IP address (wirelessly) but a lot of the time DNS doesn't work or dns works but my browser won't connect either by hostname or IP address. Must connect and reconnect over and over sometimes with success, sometimes unsuccessfully. It is MADDENING! AARGHHHH!!!
lilith

Post by lilith »

I recently had a similar issue with Mint 14 and my Thinkpad X200. The internet would disconnect and reconnect every few minutes, and it was extremely frustrating... I've more or less resolved to go back to windows on that machine because of it, unfortunately. :( The same OS (Mint 14 XFCE) works perfectly on my Dell Latitude D630, though, and Mint 16 is fine on my Dell Inspiron 1545, so it's probably just a hardware compatibility issue... I'm sorry I don't have a good solution for you; I'm not super tech-savvy, either. But it would probably help others to know what machine you're running it on? Also, they usually ask you to run the "mintwifi" command in terminal and post those results here, too, for ease of diagnostics. Good luck!

Return to “Networking”