GeForce GT 520 Driver Manager

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EmergencySalad

GeForce GT 520 Driver Manager

Post by EmergencySalad »

I'm running Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 64-bit with a GeForce GT 520 card operating with the Nouveau drivers. However, I would prefer to switch to an Nvidia driver for optimal perfomance (mostly for games and emulation and such). On a fresh install of LM 16 Cinnamon, switching to the recommended driver at the top of the Driver Manager list:
17.png
causes an issue with Xorg on login, preventing me from logging in and essentially blocking me from using LM. I've reinstalled LM 16 since then and have been using the open-source drivers; recently, I've enabled and installed kernel updates (levels 4 and 5 in the Update Manager I think). Would this perhaps allow for the nvidia-319 driver to function properly? I would test this myself, but I would prefer not to have to reinstall even though I have separate root and home partitions.

Any answers or advice would certainly be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clfarron4

Re: GeForce GT 520 Driver Manager

Post by clfarron4 »

Try installing linux-headers.

Also, what processor are you using? Do you know if it comes with an iGPU?
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

I tried the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
It simply told me that it is already the newest version: 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove.

I'm using an Intel Core i5, (as per the sticker on my tower) and how would I determine if it uses an iGPU?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

EmergencySalad wrote:I'm using an Intel Core i5, (as per the sticker on my tower) and how would I determine if it uses an iGPU?
Search for your processor model at http://ark.intel.com
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

Ah, pardon me for not being specific enough. I'm using an i5-2400 CPU.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

I thought so... You CPU also has an Intel Graphics 2000, so you're in the nVIdia Optimus territory.

First, try looking in the BIOS/UEFI settings and see if you can disable the Integrated GPU. If that doesn't work, then you're looking at setting up Optimus for Linux.
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

After some poking around in the BIOS settings, I found an entry for 'integrated video' that was disabled to begin with, but nothing speaking specifically of the GPU as far as I can tell. I'll do a bit more searching, but if I cannot change/find it, I assume that means I'll have to set up Optimus/Bumblebee, right?

Edit: Didn't find anything else pertaining to the GPU.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

EmergencySalad wrote:After some poking around in the BIOS settings, I found an entry for 'integrated video' that was disabled to begin with...
Hmm... So BumbleBee isn;t needed here. Not sure what's up if the nVidia driver isn't playing nice. Maybe try the nvidia driver from Xedgers?
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

Okay, I shall do a bit of research and try that, and report back to you of the results.

I was kind of suspecting that it wasn't really an issue with Optimus, since the proprietary driver worked perfectly fine in LM 15 without any tweaking.

Edit: I'm assuming this is the site I should be looking at? https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
Should I add the ppa for xedgers to my system and then update with those, or..?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

EmergencySalad wrote:Edit: I'm assuming this is the site I should be looking at? https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
Should I add the ppa for xedgers to my system and then update with those, or..?
Xedgers provides more up to date drivers and X stack. It's up to you whether you want to use it not.
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

Okay, I have updated my system using the xedgers repository, and upon reboot it looks like everything is working as it should.

Upon checking out the driver manager:
drivers_after.png
I noticed that I'm still running on an (altered) Nouveau driver. Should I blacklist Nouveau after selecting an alternate driver?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

EmergencySalad wrote:I noticed that I'm still running on an (altered) Nouveau driver. Should I blacklist Nouveau after selecting an alternate driver?
It's worth a shot.
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

Alright, after the installation of the driver and blacklisting of the nouveau driver, it begins boots okay until it hangs at a blank screen before I can login or get to the login screen However, I am able to open up a terminal of some sort to enter commands by using Ctrl+Alt+F1.

Prior to the reboot, I did the following:

cd /etc/modprobe.d
sudo touch blacklist-nouveau.conf
sudo pico blacklist-nouveau.conf
Then inside of the blacklist file, I typed:

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off
And saved the configuration file.

Perhaps I formatted the blacklist .conf file incorrectly?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

It looks good to me... I don't know what's going on in that case...
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

I'll try disabling the blacklist and rebooting, seeing if that improves anything.
Be right back.

Edit: disabled the blacklist file by renaming it to a .txt and moving it to my Documents directory but to no avail.

However, I did poke around inside some of the config files for the Nvidia driver that was installed, and they had the nouveau blacklisting done within them. Interesting.
EmergencySalad

Post by EmergencySalad »

Just some extra info: When I boot up, it tells me that KVM is disabled. From what I've looked up, it is probably referencing the term Kernel-Based Virtual Machine. I do/have used virtual machines in LM 16; perhaps, on a strange twist of software, is preventing me from booting properly.

Now, it might not even matter, but I just thought it might be relevant. (Nevermind, it's irrelevant)

Edit: I changed a bios setting to remedy that, but nothing happened.

After some analysis of boot-up messages, I found a forum post with a similar error message, also preventing the person from booting.
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questi ... suspected/

While I know it's for Fedora, the solution of installing bumblebee on the final post probably still holds validity since I have a near identical message.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to install bumblebee for my 334 driver.
iowabeakster

Post by iowabeakster »

Wait, you are using a desktop right? This is Not a notebook, right?

Bumblebee is for notebooks. So if I understand from above correctly (you are not using a notebook), do not worry about bumblebee.

That's frustrating. I had really easy time of installing proprietary drivers, with the driver manager (and Xedgers) on my last Linux Mint 16 install.

I install my driver manually (and have for years) on my old Xubuntu installation (been running it for a lot of years). I have done it manually on mint 15 and 16 too. But I did use the driver manager this last time (and was impressed how simple it was). That stinks, that it isn't working for you.

I could probably walk you through a manual install, but you would need to be able download the driver blob right from nvidia.

Where are you now, can you get booted back to a graphical environment at all?

Return to “Hardware Support”