Reaper of Souls - Playonlinux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
walrus_t

Reaper of Souls - Playonlinux

Post by walrus_t »

Hi everyone!

Just trying PlayonLinux after a while : last year, I could play Diablo 3 perfectly using PlayonLinux on my LMDE box. Now, I'm downloading the game again, with Reaper of Souls extension : Battle.net client seems to be ok, but, even if the game should be "Playable" (still 7 Go to "Optimal" mode), it doesn't launch when I click "Play".

Has any of you succeeded in playing RoS using PlayonLinux?
Should I wait till I download the last 7 Go of the game? Or is there any other "problem" (I mean, maybe the fact that the game doesn't launch even though it should already be "Playable" shows there's a problem?)

Thanks for any advice you may give me!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
walrus_t

Re: Reaper of Souls - Playonlinux

Post by walrus_t »

Anybody? Please?
Booman

Post by Booman »

When you install the game do you use the provided PlayOnLinux script?
Can you run any other games?
what version of Wine is it using?
Are you using Mint 64-bit?

I've experienced some problems with audio affecting gameplay in Mint 16, but that is about it.
Most games run nicely in PlayOnLinux.
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

I'm now using Wine 1.7.15 on LM 16 Cinnamon 64 bit Edition and it changed some things. I both tried to use Wine 1.7.15 alone, and Playonlinux with this version of Wine. Everythings seems ok until I launch the game and get this error (can't seem to find any solution on the net).

"Click to retry creating D3D device".

After I click "OK" a few times, I have other messages "Retry" (doesn't work) and "Cancel" (as expected, cancels). Any advice? I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Thanks a lot!
Booman

Post by Booman »

Cool, now you know how to switch wine versions in PlayOnLinux.
Since you are using the 64-bit version of Wine, its a good idea to install 32-bit libraries because most games are only 32-bit compatible.
1. Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)
2. Type:

Code: Select all

sudo install ia32-libs
3. Press Enter
4. Type: Y
5. Press enter

Once its done installing, restart your computer, then try your game again.
If it still doesn't run, then I have a feeling you need to install Nvidia's Proprietary 319 drivers from "Additional Drivers"
walrus_t

Post by walrus_t »

Hi Booman,

Thanks for your help. I managed to play yesterday, after following your advice. So, here's a summary of what settings work for me. Maybe they can help other people?
- Linux Mint 16 - Cinnamon Edition - 64 bits
- Playonlinux (with Wine 1.7.15)
- nvidia319 driver from "Driver Manager" (I own a NVIDIA GeForce 550 Ti)
- installed D3 using .exe provided by Playonlinux.

Everything seem to work, altough, sometimes in menus, game "hangs". But I managed to play almost two hours non stop yesterday. So happy :)

Thanks for your help!
Booman

Post by Booman »

Awesome, once again you have confirmed that Nvidia drivers are way better than AMD drivers.
Really sucks for people who purchase AMD video cards and have no idea.
xpunk

Post by xpunk »

Hello I'm Linux Mint 17 cinnamon 64 bit. with 8800 GTS x2 SLI ready

Could you post the play on linux and wine configuration (libraries) to play D3 on Play on linux?

I have followed all the instructions...
1. Download battle.net *.exe
2. Play on linux searched for "Diablo 3" [Wine 1.7.15]
3. Installed (many GB i should wait a bit)

However my D3 stucks on connecting to battle.net (accesing heroes) or when i could get through the screen shows red pixels and the screen continues flashing.

In steam i´ve played Civilization V (with minor issues) and the desktop works well. (drivers NVIDIA 331.38)
Bye!!
Booman

Post by Booman »

Are you going to try a manual installation?
Can you post a debug before trying to re-install it again?
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

Blizzard use some internal verification to check the integrity of their software. One day maybe blizzard will consider Linux as a viable os but for now their software is a nightmare on Linux.
I have LM Running on all these computers
d00med

Post by d00med »

They were also banning people who were running Diablo3 in Linux, weren't they?

Return to “Gaming”