gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Problem installing mint 16 xfce from USB

Post by gtsfer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:00 pm

austin.texas wrote:Here is another related link for the frugal install -
Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427540
This "frugal install" method looks really easy. Have to let gorselands look it over too. :)
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:21 pm

gtsfer wrote:This "frugal install" method looks really easy. Have to let gorselands look it over too. :)
Please note that I am offering that suggestion for someone who has Win XP installed.

For someone who has some version of linux installed there is an even easier solution
- This works great for me with Mint 16 Cinnamon.
If you want to install Mint to any usb drive or partition, install the grml-rescueboot program.
sudo apt-get install grml-rescueboot

Then make sure that the /boot/grml folder exists. If it does not exist, create it with the command.
sudo mkdir /boot/grml

Place your Mint ISO in the /boot/grml folder.
For example, if the ISO is located in the user's Downloads folder, the command would be:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/Mintfilename.iso /boot/grml/

Update GRUB
sudo update-grub

This automatically adds a menuentry to the GRUB menu for any ISO files located in the /boot/grml folder.
The created menuentry, when selected, provides submenu options on how to boot the ISO, including the "Try Mint" and "Install" options.

Now reboot, and choose the iso menuentry, and it will run just like booting the live DVD.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:48 pm

austin.texas wrote:Please note that I am offering that suggestion for someone who has Win XP installed.
OK, duly noted, the unetbootin "frugal install" method is for XP only. This last solution is for some version of Linux already installed (w GRUB). Both of these methods will be useful in the long run.
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:20 pm

austin.texas wrote:You can also try a frugal install in Windows xp with unetbootin
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

A "frugal install" modifies the bootloader of your Windows XP allowing you to boot a .iso file from the hard drive instead of using a DVD or usb drive.
This looks rather easy and when you're ready to give it a shot just say "when". It would be a good idea for us to get a better idea on your system specs first.

How big is that hard drive? Do you know how much free space you have?
What kind of Graphics card do you have?
PC - xp sp3 pentium 4 32bit - 2.66ghz 1.2gb ram usb 2, correct?
Do you have a backup of your important files? This is a good idea "just in case"...

You can get the graphics card from right click -> My Computer -> Hardware -> Device Manager. This might help too....
Watch this youtube and follow the steps to find out what is your graphic card. (courtesy of wayne128)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLXGOYpP8_w

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks for all the info.

PC - xp sp3 pentium 4 32bit - 2.66ghz 1.2gb ram usb 2

Hard drive: 160gb C/: (NTFS) Used 46.4 gb, Free 9.4 gb
D/: backup (NTFS) Used 9.88 gb, Free 36.9 gb
E/: Recover (Fat32) Used 3.04 gb, Free 5.97 gb

Graphics card: Chip type GeForce2 MX/MX400,
Dac type: Integrated RAMDAC,
Memory: 32mb,
Adapter string: GeForce2 MX/MX400,
Bios info version: 3.11.0138.08

I downloaded plpbt-5.0.14 to desktop and unzipped, selected plp.bt iso then burnt to CD. When I opened CD it just had copied plpbt-5.0.14 on again, maybe I had to copy an ISO burner to the CD first, though not sure I can copy/add files to a CD-R twice. It does help when you know what you're doing!! Hope to borrow W7 laptop this weekend - see if USB stick OK.

Cheers Mike

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:36 am

gorselands wrote: PC - xp sp3 pentium 4 32bit - 2.66ghz 1.2gb ram usb 2
Hard drive: 160gb C/: (NTFS) Used 46.4 gb, Free 9.4 gb
D/: backup (NTFS) Used 9.88 gb, Free 36.9 gb
E/: Recover (Fat32) Used 3.04 gb, Free 5.97 gb

Graphics card: Chip type GeForce2 MX/MX400,
Dac type: Integrated RAMDAC,
Memory: 32mb,
Adapter string: GeForce2 MX/MX400,
Bios info version: 3.11.0138.08
I downloaded plpbt-5.0.14 to desktop and unzipped, selected plp.bt iso then burnt to CD. When I opened CD it just had copied plpbt-5.0.14 on again, maybe I had to copy an ISO burner to the CD first, though not sure I can copy/add files to a CD-R twice. It does help when you know what you're doing!! Hope to borrow W7 laptop this weekend - see if USB stick OK.
That's great for now. You still don't have a lot of free space but we'll deal with that. Go back a few days and remember what you posted per your BIOS / Setup...
HD 1 [ ]
HD 2 [ ]
HD 3 [ ]
Zip 100 [ ]
USB - FDD [y ]
Card reader [ ]
USB CDROM [ ] <-- make this one FIRST in boot order
USB- HDD [y ]

Ok so you can't run Plop Boot manager from Windows either. To use Plop, your going to REBOOT THE COMPUTER WITH THE PLOP DISC IN THE CD DRIVE. So you have to enable this setting in BIOS. Then, when it boots it should give you an option to "boot from USB" on which you have the LM. You need that USB Flash drive plugged in and ready too.

One last thing to think about. LM 16 is going out of support in July of 2014. That means no more updates. You might want to think about downloading LM 13 and putting this ISO file on the Flash Drive. Take that version for your first "test drive". LM 13 is supported until April 2017.

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:00 pm

I reset bios to boot from from CD. Rebooted - USB and CD in place. No joy.

Win 7 laptop: Reset bios boot order to USB HDD, saved and rebooted. Some success, got a small LM logo but that was all, hit f key and boot process(?) on screen. Most with "OK" some with "FAIL"

Got no further. Head spinning and have to go out now. Tomorrow's another day.

Again thanks - Mike

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Well the good news is that this is definitely progress. :) Plop boot manager worked it then got to the USB Flash drive and at least tried to load LM in live mode from the sound of it. It sounds like it's probably a graphics issue now. This link might be the key to getting past this point. You do have an nVidia card so give this a try. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 am

Don't think I was making myself clear. CD and Plop did not work on my XP PC. I downloaded Plop to desktop and copied it to CD, reset bios and rebooted with CD and USB in place. Still booted usual windows desktop.

The only result I got was when I I used original USB stick (LILI Iso + LM16) on a borrowed Win 7 laptop. And, as I said, that didn't load properly either. I suspect a corrupt download. As I said. took me 3 attempts to download LM, read somewhere flash drives don't like being overwritten so maybe that's a problem.

Thanks for the info on LM13. I think I will have to go back to the beginning and start again after spending a day or so re-reading and trying to understand all the useful links.

I really thought this was going to be more simple than it has been. I am no fool, but at the moment feel like a prize one. I do appreciate your support.

Cheers Mike

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:45 am

gorselands wrote: The only result I got was when I I used original USB stick (LILI Iso + LM16) on a borrowed Win 7 laptop. And, as I said, that didn't load properly either. I suspect a corrupt download. As I said. took me 3 attempts to download LM, read somewhere flash drives don't like being overwritten so maybe that's a problem.Cheers Mike
Oh the Win 7 laptop was BORROWED. :oops: My mistake, you mentioned borrowing that once. On this thing it's most likely a graphics issue. That link I posted would help here. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

I dunno why your machine is so difficult to boot on either CD (Plop) or USB. Sometimes older machines are like that with USB at least. There's still another option that austin.texas suggested.
austin.texas wrote:You can also try a frugal install in Windows xp with unetbootin

A "frugal install" modifies the bootloader of your Windows XP allowing you to boot a .iso file from the hard drive instead of using a DVD or usb drive.
This is easier that it looks at first. It sounds like you need a break though. :)

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:33 am

gtsfer wrote:

This is easier that it looks at first. It sounds like you need a break though. :)

The post linked to has a starting point:
Linux OS installed with Grub legacy. It looked very lengthy because I added too many details for grub legacy. :oops: .

However if you start from WinXP or Win7, it is really quite simple..

Here are the steps:

1. Run from WinXP or Win7
2. Download Unetbootin (Windows version) and install it .
3. Copy Linux iso file to some directory in internal hard disk, or external USB drive/flash
4. Run Unetbootin
browse to the directory containing the Linux iso, select it

5. this is an important step, refer to this image: http://i57.tinypic.com/2mycf1j.png
on the last line in the image, you see Type
you should select Hard Disk ..as shown in the above image.

then follow by clicking OK

6 unetbootin will copy the iso files and admend the WinXP or Win7 boot menu

7. reboot, on the Windows boot menu, select the line that reads 'Unetbootin'.
it should boot the Linux iso and run Live.

hope that helps.

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 pm

I do need a break. Can't believe that I have made a simple process appear complicated and taken up so much of your time. Today, decided to start from the beginning and use the borrowed W7 laptop to download Mint 13 to DVD. Then see if my XP PC will boot from DVD.

I will now look at Unetbootin. Can I install On my D:/ partition - it has more space or does it need to go on C:/ with the MS OS?

Probably be Tuesday now,

Again Thanks - Mike

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:21 pm

gorselands wrote:does it need to go on C:/ with the MS OS?
It would be good to put it on the same partition as the MS OS. It is not mandatory.
There is one note-worthy fact about the "frugal install". It is great for a dual-boot installation because it is IMPOSSIBLE to install to the partition the .iso is on (because it is mounted). So if the .iso file is on the same partition as your Windows operating system it is impossible to mess up that Windows partition.
You will get a pop-up message during installation warning you that you have mounted partitions, and asking if you want to unmount them - reply NO.
If you reply YES and try to unmount, the installer program will close, because your operating system (the Mint .iso) is on the mounted partition, and cannot run if it is unmounted - this making it IMPOSSIBLE to install to that Windows partition.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:20 pm

austin.texas wrote:
gorselands wrote:does it need to go on C:/ with the MS OS?
It would be good to put it on the same partition as the MS OS. It is not mandatory.
There is one note-worthy fact about the "frugal install". It is great for a dual-boot installation because it is IMPOSSIBLE to install to the partition the .iso is on (because it is mounted). So if the .iso file is on the same partition as your Windows operating system it is impossible to mess up that Windows partition.
You will get a pop-up message during installation warning you that you have mounted partitions, and asking if you want to unmount them - reply NO.
If you reply YES and try to unmount, the installer program will close, because your operating system (the Mint .iso) is on the mounted partition, and cannot run if it is unmounted - this making it IMPOSSIBLE to install to that Windows partition.
Austin... Does this imply that he should move the ISO to D: first so that he can install to the C: partition, if that's the best way to go? Or.... I'm guessing in dual boot mode C: is still going to be a Windows partition so this doesn't matter. And you couldn't do an install that uses the whole disk and overwrites Windows anyway with "frugal install" because you'd be overwriting the installation "medium" so to speak. This process is going to boot in live mode first, is that correct?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions too, it's not even my laptop involved here. :lol:

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm

gtsfer wrote:Austin... Does this imply that he should move the ISO to D: first so that he can install to the C: partition, if that's the best way to go? Or.... I'm guessing in dual boot mode C: is still going to be a Windows partition so this doesn't matter. And you couldn't do an install that uses the whole disk and overwrites Windows anyway with "frugal install" because you'd be overwriting the installation "medium" so to speak. This process is going to boot in live mode first, is that correct?
All of the above is correct.
Linux Linx 2018

jsalpha2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jsalpha2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:18 pm

I downloaded Plop to desktop and copied it to CD
You don't give all the details of what you did, but when you download Plop Boot Manager, first you need to un-zip it. Then you only need this file----plpbt.iso.
You have to burn it to the CD as a disc image. Nero, Imgburn, or other software will do this. If you have set the bios to boot from the CD drive, then when you reboot you will see the Plop screen.
Have you gotten this far?

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:36 am

just an update. Bios on 12/13 year old XP PC does not appear to boot from anything other than HDD although it has options (tried them all). Could be the motherboard is just too ancient.

Tried the USB in Win 7 laptop and that boots with the message
"Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/lib/mdm but this does not exist. Please correct MDM configuration and restart now"
Common fail according to forums. So lots to read - some success but not what I thought. I am a bit reluctant to use Unetbootin frugal install. I have so much stuff on my PC, even though I back it up regularly still reluctant to try and put Linux alongside. It does, however, appear to be the only option. I will read more about it and then decide.

Thank you all for your kind help - Mike

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

Install Linux Mint alongside Windows XP updated version http://youtu.be/BG6mr2Bbz_A
You may need to take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7b4F6Q ... 5CPUfuQADg if it wont boot from dvd.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

gorselands
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorselands » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks usbtux - just watched them - will try plop again as was suggested earlier.

Mike

Return to “Installation & Boot”