Mint 16 Libreoffice crashing all the time

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Edward M. Grant

Mint 16 Libreoffice crashing all the time

Post by Edward M. Grant »

I haven't used Libreoffice much in the last month, but now I am using it again, I can only edit text for about two minutes before it crashes. Dmesg shows 'error 4 in libmergedlo.so'. It looks like this is happening on other Linux distros too, as a web search shows up a bunch of bug reports.

Anyone have any idea how to actually make this work again?

What makes it particularly annoying is that, even if I save every thirty seconds, 'recovery' reverts the file to an old version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 16 Libreoffice crashing all the time

Post by Kalyk »

I have no clue to the problem.
But to solve it you might try update LibreOffice.
There are a few links in this forum, I picked one.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=840591
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Edward M. Grant

Someone elsewhere suggested uninstalling Java, and it hasn't crashed since I did that; but it may just be a coincidence. I don't see why it would many any difference as I've had Java integration disabled for as long as I remember.
Edward M. Grant

No, I spoke too soon. Every time I 'cut' certain sections of text, it crashes at the same location in libmergedlo.so.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I suggested updating to a newer version.
There are multiple posts on how to add a ppa from the libreoffice-folks themselves and then uninstall the 4.1-version and install a recent 4.2-version. It might be an implementation error of some part of Libreoffice in LM16.
I also saw someone saying he wanted to install OpenOffice.
Though I wouldn't choose to do that it might be an option if all else fails.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Software & Applications”