Pc locks up when asking for administrators password

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rkleman12

Pc locks up when asking for administrators password

Post by rkleman12 »

I have recently installed Linux Mint 16 cinnamon and i'm having an issue when I open up applications that require an administrators password.

The issue is, the computer locks up for around 10-20 seconds until the enter password windows opens. During this time I cant do anything, the only animation is the cursor loading icon even progress bars and terminal scripts appear to be frozen.

I figure this might be something to do with the dimming of the screen but I don't know. The issue had occurred over several clean installs.

Although there is one application i installed were this does not happen and id imagine it uses its own method of requesting admin rights. The app is gufw.

Thanks for any assistance,

Rob.

further information
----------------
Linux mint 16 installed on its own, no dual booting
Cinnamon installed
Fully updated

hardware
----
intel i5 processor
8GB ddr3 ram
1TB hard drive
ati radeon HD 7770 - using xserver-xorg-video-ati v 1.7.2.0 driver.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Pc locks up when asking for administrators password

Post by Kalyk »

Gufw might be quite intrusive itself.
Have you tried with GUFW turned off?
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
rkleman12

Post by rkleman12 »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, the issue happens on a clean install - nothing downloaded or updated and continues to happen when fully up-to-date.

ROb
rkleman12

Post by rkleman12 »

Little bump if anyone has any suggestions. Still have the issues.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I hoped someone else could give any extra input.
I just tried it on my machine.
When I open the Software Manager the login box opens immediately and after that the rest of the screen fades out.
So the fading of the screen shouldn't be the problem.

It sounds like locking or timeout while authenticating.
I didn't find a good link but does this help
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&p=746502
Probably not but it might be the possibility to give a password for the keyring without the screen appearing.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Others have had the same problem. It's related to the dimming of the rest of the screen, some cards/drivers can't handle it. There's a way to disable it but I don't know how.

Return to “Software & Applications”