Sharing over network from LMDE to XP?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kevin108

Sharing over network from LMDE to XP?

Post by Kevin108 »

The latest version of the Mint main edition doesn't play nice with my old machine but LMDE runs great. I've got an XP box in the living room running my HTPC but back here in the office my desktop has the bigger hard drive, so I store my media on it. I just need to be able to share a few directories with the XP box. What's the easiest way to do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Sharing over network from LMDE to XP?

Post by tadaensylvermane »

You want samba for this. Can find tutorials on google easy enough.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I have the C: and DVD drives on an XP box set to share. I can access them from the LMDE box with no trouble at all. Try Files-Network-Windows network-(select domain)-(select PC)-(select shared disk/folders) and at this point you should have Files access to the shared folders of the XP PC's file system. This worked with LMDE 201403 as installed from the iso image.

I have to say that I haven't worked out how to access the LMDE box from the XP box yet though but I haven't needed to,

I can print from the LMDE box to a shared printer on the XP box as well - I got the printer working as USB attached on the LMDE box first to make sure the right device driver was already installed. Then I moved the printer back to the XP box and added a Network printer on the LMDE box.

I would suspect it might not be as straightforward to share over the network if the Windows box is running Vista or 7 - I had trouble in the past trying to access shared disks on Vista and 7 boxes from an XP box. I would also suspect more problems if it's a Windows 8 box. YMMV

Ron
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

tadaensylvermane wrote:You want samba for this. Can find tutorials on google easy enough.
I've seen multiple tutorials but it's still never worked. I hoped someone here was able to help. Oh well, doesn't matter now as my Debian install self-destructed from the latest round of updates.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you are able to get LMDE back in working order you might want to post what desktop environment ( DE ) you are using - Cinnamon? XFCE? .....

*** LMDE because of it's Debian roots has an smb.conf file that needs to be fixed because it ships without guest access enabled: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p315218

*** Remember that Samba is already installed by default in all Mint products.

*** If you use Cinnamon as your DE you create a samba share exactly the same way you create an SMB share on WInXP:
Open your file manager
Right click a folder you own
Select "Sharing Options"
Check all the boxes
You just created a guest accessible samba share of that folder.

*** If you use MATE the backend process is completely different but it too can create a samba share from the file manager.

Then make sure you go through the Checklist if network discovery by name is important to you ( versus accessing it directly by ip address ).
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

I've been through this issue and found a 10 minute solution in this tut: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/03/configu ... buntu.html

Hope it helps!
Martin

Return to “LMDE Archive”