SOLVED - GUI method to switch users already logged in?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
woodsman

SOLVED - GUI method to switch users already logged in?

Post by woodsman »

LMDE Mate, fully updated.

Is there a point-and-click way to switch users already logged in or are the traditional keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+Alt+Fx) the only way? I do not see anything obvious in the Mate or Mint menus or dialogs. If there is no immediate method, how about suggested work-arounds? I prefer the option be added to the menu, but an applet with a popup menu listing current logged in users would be acceptable.

Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GUI method to switch users already logged in?

Post by JosephM »

Haven't used Mate in awhile but in Cinnamon if you choose logout from the main menu it pops up a dialog giving you the option to switch users. I thought Mate behaved the same.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I thought Mate behaved the same.
Yes.

I am not looking for a GUI method to switch users, I am looking for a GUI method to switch BACK to a user who is already logged. Thus far the only method I find is the keyboard shortcuts. For many users the keyboard shortcuts are not intuitive.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I may be totally confused about what you want. If you choose switch user from that dialog it should take you back to the login screen where you can choose from the list of users already logged in. At least I thought that's how it worked.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

If you choose switch user from that dialog it should take you back to the login screen where you can choose from the list of users already logged in. At least I thought that's how it worked.
Ah, I see. Thank you. That was not at all obvious to me. Also because I had selected a DM that did not display the user list, which otherwise would display the message "already logged in," also was not obvious to me. :)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SOLVED - GUI method to switch users already logged in?

Post by JosephM »

Glad you got it working, and glad I'm not totally confused :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”