Firefox problem. Loads google but NOTHING else.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Firefox problem. Loads google but NOTHING else.

Post by Husse »

I have never heard of this before (and I do have quite a bit of support experience before Mint too)
It is a bizarre name resolution problem
What about other programs using internet - Thunderbird, mintUpdate, torrents ....
Try this
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Not sure if this is related, and I have no idea where you are located, but I know that AT&T has been having rolling outages over the last few days. During those times, I can only access what is already stored in cache. Their DNS may be having issues, as well. If your problem is sporadic, that might be what it is. Depends on how you access the Internet on your end. I am just tossing out what I have experienced.

During those times, I can pull up my DSL modem interface and read the stats. If anything says "Down," I know I have to wait for it to come back "Up." An outage is the only time I have had any issues with Pidgin, Thunderbird, or Firefox 3 connecting properly. You may wish to check your connection during your "nothing" times.

Unlike others who are posting issues with Firefox 3, rolling back to Firefox 2, and then having even more problems, I am having a much better Firefox experience with 3 versus 2. I have no complaints at all. Firefox 3 is only getting better and better.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Are you accessing the Internet via wired Ethernet or wi-fi? That might make a difference. Since I rarely read about wired Ethernet problems, I am going to assume you have w-fi.

If you have Windows installed and are using wi-fi, the Windows program might be turning off the wi-fi hardware when you switch over to Mint. I have read about that happening before.

If the Windows program connects, then it is not your Internet connection, so I was pointing you in the wrong direction. Sorry. However, it narrows everything back down to the wi-fi or NIC, depending on which you use.

I do not use wi-fi, but I do use wired standard 10/100 Ethernet. I may not be able to help if your issue is wi-fi, but Windows turning off / timing out / powering down the wi-fi card might be a possibility. It is something to check.

With Pidgin operating normally, that is really odd. Have you made sure you have all of the updates to Mint, as well as not having any unusual third-party add-ons installed in Firefox 3? I am just tossing ideas out. Maybe something will be close. Good luck!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I can help with the mintUpdate issue. You must click the "Refresh" button once, maybe twice, to get the new updates. This seems to be the standard procedure for right now. Not sure why.

I have the Level 1, 2, and 3 updates checked. Those seem to be safe enough. You can practice with the 4 & 5 ones later on when you get a little more experienced, as well as get a good base system installed.

Since you are running regular Ethernet, are you using a DSL-type modem? If so, are you getting your DNS from that modem? That is how mine operates. I have no settings in Mint to fiddle with. I use what the DSL modem sends. It always works for me.

Also, when you updated to Mint 5, did you do a clean-install? If not, there may have been some settings left over from Mint 4. Some of those Firefox 2 settings might not play nicely with Firefox 3. Just an idea.

Perhaps once you get your updates done, that will fix the issue. If not, well, we can keep trying. Good luck!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Merv, well, if you have a spare hour, a clean-install of Mint 5 might fix your previous issues. At this point, it may not hurt. We all have initial learning experiences.

I do suggest for you to make notes as to what you do step-by-step this time. It is always a good idea to have just in case you have to back track. This will give you an opportunity to change any of your partitions if you wish.

You can download via the torrent, which should give you a flawless ISO. It might take a tad longer, but rarely does a torrent have a bad download. I am using the default Transmission and the default Brasero. I have had great luck with the Memorex CD-R discs, just so you know what I have done on my end. Please keep us updated as to your progress.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Does Linux Mint have free customer service?
You are enjoying it now
Did you upgrade from Daryna? It don't seem so but it's important to know
If you upgraded - do you have a separate home partition?
We need to know that to find out what's happening
If the answer is no to both questions make a clean install
But first - did you check the md5sum of the ISO? If not do it in Elyssa first
And did you burn slowly?
Strangely enough it can still be a faulty CD even if you manage to install

Return to “Software & Applications”