Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vasmakk

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by vasmakk »

Hi guys!

Though I'm new to this forum I'm actualy a fanatic LM user since the appearance of LM 13 "Maya".
I dare saying, the community here is great, with very friendly people all around.

Actualy, I'm looking forward for this new version, though Maya works great on my old Laptop.
The reason is I recently bought a new Laptop (ASUS X551MA Intel Pentium, Quad Core) and this one is equipped with two "mysterious" chips: a Realtek RTS5286 (Card Reader) and an also Realtek 8821 (WiFi). None of them are recognized by any version of LM up to 16. Also there are no drivers at the official Realtek site, and two-or three solutions I found... didnt work for me.
I don't mind the Card Reader, but the WiFi is important! Currently I was forced to buy an external USB WiFi to work with. But I prefere the Laptop's one.
Does anyone know if LM 17 will support those chips ? (Ubuntu 14.04 does support the WiFi and since LM 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, maybe it also does!)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by vasmakk on Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

Hey thanks, but I was able to install Ubuntu 13.10 no problem.

This computer is and AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2850e 1.7 GiB

So are you saying Mint 17 Qiana probably will not install either???????
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

rosswmcgee wrote:Hey thanks, but I was able to install Ubuntu 13.10 no problem.
This computer is and AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2850e 1.7 GiB
So are you saying Mint 17 Qiana probably will not install either???????

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/963/AM ... 2850e.html

no PAE (physical address extension) problem, so should work OK. It's also a 64 bit processor, so no problems there.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

It is 32 bit! but may be capable of running 64 bit?/

$ grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow up extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv

If this command returns lm (Long Mode) as one of the flags, then your processor is capable of 64-bit.

If you're running Windows, download, install, and run CPU-Z to check for AMD64 (AMD processors) or EM64T (Intel processors).

It does show LM in red.

rosswmcgee@rosswmcgee-EL1330 ~ $ uname -a
Linux rosswmcgee-EL1330 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:41:14 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Or this command:

rosswmcgee-EL1330 rosswmcgee # lshw -C processor | grep width
width: 64 bits
rosswmcgee-EL1330 rosswmcgee #

So I would guess I am 32 bit, but capable of running 64 bit??????? But I suppose I should simply wait for MInt 17, because I like the Mate desktop anyway.
NNH

Post by NNH »

rosswmcgee wrote:So I would guess I am 32 bit, but capable of running 64 bit??????? But I suppose I should simply wait for MInt 17, because I like the Mate desktop anyway.
Your operating system is a 32-bit edition, but your processor is capable of running 64-bit OS'es, as all Athlon 64 CPU's are:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-At ... AA4DP.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AM ... C_65_nm.29
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

do you know if Mint 17 RC will be released this weekend ?

Thanks.
konjad

Post by konjad »

it won't
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Dupo wrote:Hi everybody,

Thanks.
Nope. It's not even in testing yet which probably means the developers are still putting an initial image together for testing. Keep an eye on this page:

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

When LM 17 goes into testing it will be listed there.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

kmb42vt wrote: Nope. It's not even in testing yet which probably means the developers are still putting an initial image together for testing.
Actually it just enters testing :lol:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

killer de bug wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: Nope. It's not even in testing yet which probably means the developers are still putting an initial image together for testing.
Ha! And I just checked no more than 10 minutes ago. :lol:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
jand

Post by jand »

Hi, new to Mint here. I'm waiting for Qiana with the hope that she make me ditch Windows at last!
How can I download a test image to get a first glimpse of the upcoming version? There's no download link.
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,
killer de bug wrote:
yes, I saw it. Have to wait now. ;)
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

jand wrote:Hi, new to Mint here. I'm waiting for Qiana with the hope that she make me ditch Windows at last!
How can I download a test image to get a first glimpse of the upcoming version? There's no download link.
Unfortunately it's not possible to download testing images. The RC version is coming out within the next couple of days days which will be available to the public. I also can't wait to try it out. :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Dupo wrote:Hi everybody,

Thanks.
I doubt it. Seems they lost MintConstructor, so we may have a longer wait. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Ronshere

Post by Ronshere »

The testing images are available now, both Mate and Cinnamon
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Ronshere wrote:The testing images are available now, both Mate and Cinnamon
Just to make sure everyone new here understands, there are no image downloads available yet. The referenced page is only for monitoring the progress of LM 17 pre-release testing for both RC and then stable releases. Once the official announcement is made that the first RCs for LM 17 (Cinnamon and MATE) are available then you'll be able to download the RC images. :)
abnor

Post by abnor »

Hello everyone!
How to can I test Mint RC 17 Qiana? It available for Testers only?
So, I may stays one of the Testers for testing it! :)
How to do it? Because I have needs to testing and using Qiana amd64...
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

abnor wrote: How to do it? Because I have needs to testing and using Qiana amd64...
You have need to test or to use it? Because it's different... And obviously testing is not what you want :lol:
abnor

Post by abnor »

@killer de bug
"Qiana... It ...feminine name is of American origin, and its meaning is “silky”...."
Maybe I was "seduced" by the quality announced a new release...
Nevertheless, do not need to the community a "fresh blood" of newest testers? ;)

Note. So, is to situation for a tester of Linux release, every candidate for, must pass an interview with... like as a developer candidate to world-class company? ;)
Hmm... so, this is permanent chatter and flooding of forums it is ineradicable global trend?.. :(

At least times, I not want a brag! But at few years ago, tested a release of Mint, I did helped to respected Clem to can be eliminate an one unpleasant bug in the Mint Installer...
And the Linux Mint (in any of it's releases) at long time I use on computers for many workers - as perhaps in best Linux distribution...
fu-sen

Post by fu-sen »

I am the one who it is early, and wants to test Qiana.

There is a clear reason testing.
A change occurred for input method "iBus" from Ubuntu 13.10.
Japanese input method made a fuss over specifications change of iBus 1.5.
This is affected in Mint 16 Petra.
(LMDE becomes iBus1.5 from UP8, too)
Ubuntu 14.04 Japanese Remix adopted "Fcitx" as this solution in substitution for iBus.
(Ubuntu Japanese Remix is made originally by Ubuntu Japanese Team recognized officially)
This decision is necessary in Qiana.

Recognition of Linux Mint rose in Japan.
The need that a Japanese can use Linux Mint for more comfortably occurs.

I wait for time mentioned Qiana.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”