ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17

Post by austin.texas »

Over the last several days I have been testing various ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17. (Cinnamon)
I have tried four different methods.
Method 1: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, then configuring from scratch.
Method 2: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, pasting in all hidden files and folders from Mint 16.
Method 3: Fresh install from DVD to the Mint 16 partition WITHOUT formatting the partition.
Method 4: In place upgrade - boot into Mint 16 and change the software sources to qiana and trusty.

Here are my conclusions:
Method 1: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, then configuring from scratch.
Re-configuring everything - applets, themes, clock, etc. and restoring all my .icons and .themes and .wallpapers, etc. is very time consuming. I would like to avoid that. This method does force you to re-arrange the furniture, replace the carpet, remodel the kitchen, etc. The end result might be very nice, but it is a lot of work getting there.

Method 2: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, pasting in all hidden files and folders from Mint 16
This one leaves you open to too many potential problems. Method 3 is better and faster.

Method 3: Fresh install from DVD to the Mint 16 partition WITHOUT formatting the partition.
This one was the easiest and fastest, and works great - with one little problem - I tried it twice, and both times I ended up with my software sources messed up. The linuxmint.com links were changed to qiana, as they should be. But the ubuntu links were also changed to qiana, which is wrong. It should be trusty. The cure for that is quick and easy. Open Menu > Administration > Software Sources. Wait for it to load and then click "Restore the Default Settings". That's all. You are done! That could be a big problem for someone who was not forewarned.
EDIT: This problem with the Software Sources has been fixed in the new Mint 17 Qiana “v2″ ISO respins - http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2662

Method 4: In place upgrade - boot into Mint 16 and change the software sources to qiana and trusty.
In spite of the many warnings against this procedure, it worked for me with no apparent problems. However, I will never do it again simply because the download and installation process was much too long and required constant monitoring. It took hours to complete.

I would like to get comments on Method 3, which is definitely my preferred method.
Is there any problem with that that I am missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17

Post by JeremyB »

austin.texas wrote:Over the last several days I have been testing various ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17. (Cinnamon)
I have tried four different methods.
Method 2: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, pasting in all hidden files and folders from Mint 16.

Here are my conclusions:
Re-configuring everything - applets, themes, clock, etc. and restoring all my .icons and .themes and .wallpapers, etc. is very time consuming. I would like to avoid that. This method does force you to re-arrange the furniture, replace the carpet, remodel the kitchen, etc. The end result might be very nice, but it is a lot of work getting there.

Method 2: Fresh install from DVD to a newly formatted partition, pasting in all hidden files and folders from Mint 16
This one leaves you open to too many potential problems. Method 3 is better and faster.

This one was the easiest and fastest, and works great - with one little problem - I tried it twice, and both times I ended up with my software sources messed up. The linuxmint.com links were changed to qiana, as they should be. But the ubuntu links were also changed to qiana, which is wrong. It should be trusty. The cure for that is quick and easy. Open Menu > Administration > Software Sources. Wait for it to load and then click "Restore the Default Settings". That's all. You are done! That could be a big problem for someone who was not forewarned.

In spite of the many warnings against this procedure, it worked for me with no apparent problems. However, I will never do it again simply because the download and installation process was much too long and required constant monitoring. It took hours to complete.

I would like to get comments on Method 3, which is definitely my preferred method.
Is there any problem with that that I am missing?

I just got to work after initiating method 3. The first update was just the mint update program and when mint update restarted, it showed 800MB in updates so I pressed the install updates and left. I have no idea what I will see when I return ***edit, actually method 4****
Last edited by JeremyB on Thu May 22, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Re: ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17

Post by kukamuumuka »

Medhod 3: That works usually, but there can be some programs even they have not (re)installed. Only problem with those programs is that, they are outside the package management, so they do not upgrading.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

administrollaattori wrote:Medhod 3: That works usually, but there can be some programs even they have not (re)installed. Only problem with those programs is that, they are outside the package management, so they do not upgrading.
You are right. Any PPA or other special repository you have installed will have to be re-installed.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I prefer method 1, but with a separate home partition. At least your data files stay intact.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

mr_raider wrote:I prefer method 1, but with a separate home partition. At least your data files stay intact.
I have always used Method 1 previously. But if my test of Method 3 works out, it saves a lot of time.
And if it does finally present a problem, going back to Method 1 is simple enough.
I have always used a separate data partition (not a separate /home). But for those people who did not set up a separate /home partition or separate data partition, Method 3 could be especially useful. It would save them even more time and trouble.
Linux Linx 2018
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

As austin.texas said, method 4 takes forever but it did work even though I thought it was messed up. In the grub boot menu, it shows up as Ubuntu instead of Linux Mint 16 or 17 Cinnamon.

It took about 2-3 hours after I got home, after everything was downloaded to do this and it was with a newer laptop with a core i5 intel. In comparison I installed LM17 Cinnamon on an older Sony Vaio with a Core duo from the Live DVD and it may have taken 20 minutes as a fresh install- it is a laptop that was OEM with vista, upgraded to Win 7 and started having issues that I thought were signs of a HD going bad

I would not have guessed that the option I chose would have taken that long but I think I had some of the same "hangups" that I had updating an actual LM17 Cinnamon install this morning
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

JeremyB wrote:In the grub boot menu, it shows up as Ubuntu instead of Linux Mint 16 or 17 Cinnamon.
Thanks for your input.
My GRUB menu for Method 4 turned out perfect:
"Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sdb4)"
Linux Linx 2018
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

austin.texas wrote:
JeremyB wrote:In the grub boot menu, it shows up as Ubuntu instead of Linux Mint 16 or 17 Cinnamon.
Thanks for your input.
My GRUB menu for Method 4 turned out perfect:
"Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sdb4)"
After removing a USB external drive I had installed LM 17 Cinnamon on and after using grub customizer to remove the sdc drive from grub, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon showed up as dev/sda2 IIRC
griffon

Post by griffon »

I don't see how to use method 3 from the live CD. There only seem to be options to install alongside 16 or overwrite or repartition. Can anyone guide me here please?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

griffon wrote:I don't see how to use method 3 from the live CD. There only seem to be options to install alongside 16 or overwrite or repartition. Can anyone guide me here please?
You would just chose the "Something Else" option, and then select your Mint 16 partition as the installation partition, but DO NOT FORMAT the partition. Then the parts on that partition that need to be replaced will be replaced, and the other files and folders will be preserved.
Don't forget to fix the Software Sources after installation, as described in my first post.
Linux Linx 2018
griffon

Post by griffon »

Thanks.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

austin.texas wrote:
griffon wrote:I don't see how to use method 3 from the live CD. There only seem to be options to install alongside 16 or overwrite or repartition. Can anyone guide me here please?
You would just chose the "Something Else" option, and then select your Mint 16 partition as the installation partition, but DO NOT FORMAT the partition. Then the parts on that partition that need to be replaced will be replaced, and the other files and folders will be preserved.
Don't forget to fix the Software Sources after installation, as described in my first post.
In windows we always called that a "dirty install" but it worked for XP and for Mint.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Sgt Peppermint

Post by Sgt Peppermint »

austin.texas wrote:
I've just tried this but it doesn't work for me.

I've selected 'Something else' and then clicked on the partition which has Mint 16 installed on it currently, but when i click on 'Install Now' I get a warning that says 'No root file system: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the Partitioning menu.'.

I'm not sure where to go to resolve this - if I click on the 'Change' button the 'Use as' option is currently showing as 'Do not use the partition'. Should I change this to 'Ext4 journinaling file system'? ext4 is what is currently showing under 'type'....
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Sgt Peppermint wrote: I've just tried this but it doesn't work for me.

I've selected 'Something else' and then clicked on the partition which has Mint 16 installed on it currently, but when i click on 'Install Now' I get a warning that says 'No root file system: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the Partitioning menu.'.

I'm not sure where to go to resolve this - if I click on the 'Change' button the 'Use as' option is currently showing as 'Do not use the partition'. Should I change this to 'Ext4 journinaling file system'? ext4 is what is currently showing under 'type'....

you need to click and choose / on the mount point as in this image
http://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ion-7.jpeg
Sgt Peppermint

Post by Sgt Peppermint »

wayne128 wrote:

Thanks, though I don't want to create a new partition, but install 17 over 16. I've clicked on that partition (the one with 16 installed) and when I click Install Now I get the 'No root file system' error. However, I'm guessing from your screenshot that if I click on 'Change' and set the 'Use as' option to Ext4... it should install over 16. Is that correct?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

No, you double click on the Mint 16 partition. You will get the popup, as wayne128 said, you will chose to Mount As: / - but, do not format. If that partition is ext4, then chose ext4, but do not format. Then proceed with the installation.
In this graphic the Format option is green, which will format the partition. UNCHECK that option, and you are good to go.
installScreenshot.png
Linux Linx 2018
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Sgt Peppermint wrote:
wayne128 wrote:

Thanks, though I don't want to create a new partition, but install 17 over 16. I've clicked on that partition (the one with 16 installed) and when I click Install Now I get the 'No root file system' error. However, I'm guessing from your screenshot that if I click on 'Change' and set the 'Use as' option to Ext4... it should install over 16. Is that correct?
Maybe you better post some information first before you can get an answer, so viewers can know what format you are currently using. If you change the format you are using, goodbye to all of the previous.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

I used Method 3 to go from Mint 15 to 17 Cinnamon on a 64gb machine. All seemed to go OK but it now boots into Fallback Mode, after a popup saying Cinnamon has crashed. I can see my /home partition with all info intact, but the screen is basically black, no bottom panel etc. Top left I can click on Applications or Places. Is this fixable, or do I need to go back to Method 1 and start from scratch? I have a backup of /home so I could restore from that if necessary. Thanks.
Mint 21.1 64gb Desktop intel 4core i5-2500
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You are in "Fallback Mode" which just means that Cinnamon has crashed. There could be a number of different reasons. My first suspect would be the theme you are using. The wrong theme can crash Cinnamon in that way. You can force Mint to use the default theme by renaming the .themes folder to .themesBAK and then reboot. (Assuming that you installed your theme to /home/yourusername/ .themes)
How is Mint 17 when you run the live DVD?
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”