Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re:

Post by kmb42vt »

altae wrote:? According to my knowledge apt-get dist-upgrade is the same as apt-get update...
Just a small correction here. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not the same as "apt-get update". "apt-get update" simply updates your (apt) cache (queries the repos listed in your "sources" lists and updates the cache). You probably meant "...is the same as "apt-get upgrade". :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
tek_heretik

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Post by tek_heretik »

Looks and works fantastic! Just two tiny complaints (uh oh, lol), #1; a user has to enable hot corners to add workspaces when you using the pager (Workspace switcher) in the panel (for us old fart traditional types, lol) as opposed to adding workspaces directly from System Settings/Workspaces, #2; this is more of of a wishlist item, a right click/Configure option to use a 'classic style' menu, or an option in System Settings/Applets/Menu. Great job on 17 and Cinnamon is the way to go, forward compatible. :D

Found two more pet peeves, but that's just me...no obvious way to resize 'Desktop' icons (it's done through Nemo, Edit/Preferences/Icon View Defaults/66%) or how to resize the 'Desktop' icon labels size...still looking for it.

Sorry, a couple more pet peeves...I can't find how to show ALL window buttons from all workspaces in the window list buttons applet (I normally use 5 workspaces, so if I have 1 or 2 things open on each workspace, now I would have to remember which program is on what workspace, instead of just clicking on the program's window list button and auto go to that workspace, this is typical behaviour in Xfce), or how to get icons to show in the workspace pager. I get the idea behind corner smacking and Expo but I prefer the pager and window list buttons.

And for the grand finale...drum roll please...when you do an installation disk integrity check and walk away from the computer...come back when the check is done...there is no indication whether the test returned positive or negative result, just "press any key to reboot the computer", a message saying the disk is GOOD would be nice, n00bs will be scratching their heads at this.

Edited for minor corrections.
Last edited by tek_heretik on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations for another Great Release, Linux Mint Team !!!! Linux Mint 17 with Cinnamon it's really excellent. Now, waiting anxiously release of Linux Mint 17 KDE. Regards.-
konjad

Post by konjad »

kmb42vt wrote:
konjad wrote:Thanks! I'll await KDE though. Will KDE have RC or are they just releasing the "Stable" version without RC first?
Linux Mint 17 KDE should have an RC release before the stable as in the past. :)
Thanks for the information! I'll be waiting for the stable release then.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

KDE and XFCE are not in the pre-RC test phase. So they will probably be out at the end of the month. Be patient :wink:
Grez

Post by Grez »

Nice job. Initial impressions are good.
akya

Post by akya »

New Cinnamon feels soo much snappier and looks like a lot of work has been done in various places. Fantastic job team and thank you for another great release :)
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

I've had 17 RC installed almost since it was released and done all the updates.

But there have been no updates since the final version was announced yesterday.
Shouldnt the final version be out on all the mirrors now - I am using the UK ones.
Is there a log file I could read that will tell me what updates have been done, or is there a way within the GUI to see what versions I have??
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi Mal.

As far as I understand the updates to take you from RC to final were available before the final was released, or how else could they be incorporated in the final ISO, so you should have had the final version before it hit the mirrors. Hope this helps.

To the world in general and the dev team.

Installed Mint 17 cinnamon 32bit yesterday evening and I have only one comment to make..Congratulations, all your hard work has paid off as far as I can tell, it's running brilliantly on my older box that's not a whole lot over minimum recommended specs :D
altae

AW: Re: Re:

Post by altae »

kmb42vt wrote:
altae wrote:? According to my knowledge apt-get dist-upgrade is the same as apt-get update...
Just a small correction here. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not the same as "apt-get update". "apt-get update" simply updates your (apt) cache (queries the repos listed in your "sources" lists and updates the cache). You probably meant "...is the same as "apt-get upgrade". :)
Yeah, that's what I meant, small typo here ;-)
altae

Post by altae »

Thanks for the replies by the way. I am now sure that I have got the stable release after updating/ upgrading using apt-get dist-upgrade.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

Lovely release, which I installed last night and which hitherto is working very well for me. A few reflections : the Official User Guide provides instructions for downloading the .iso file and then burning it to a DVD (pp 8-11), but no instruction are found there for installing the file on a bootable USB thumb drive, which I suspect many of us prefer. Such instructions are indeed found, however, on Clem's excellent tutorial, on which Linux users are recommended to use mintStick or the terminal. My own experience with mintStick, alas, has not been good - I've tried several times to use it to install a Linux Mint (both 16 and 17) ISO which I had downloaded to a HDD (and checked the md5 sum) to a bootable USB drive, but every time I've attempted to use the latter to install Mint, I've received a notice to the effect that the file was defective. Fortunately, using the command line procedure worked splendidly ; the USB stick thus produced installed LM17 on my main box in a matter of minutes. Thanks and kudos to the developers for their splendid work !... :D

Henri
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Regarding mintstick, I have found that using the formatting feature and formatting the USB stick first, then using mintstick to burn the .iso to the stick works 100% of the time for me. I'm not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but I'm satisfied with how it is working.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ogborne
Level 3
Level 3

error given when using ice tea java

Post by ogborne »

I'm sorry I believe I posted this in the wrong place. So I tried to delete the post and didn't know how.
Last edited by ogborne on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

WinterTroubles wrote:Hi Mal.

As far as I understand the updates to take you from RC to final were available before the final was released, or how else could they be incorporated in the final ISO, so you should have had the final version before it hit the mirrors. Hope this helps.
:D
Oh yes - now you say that it makes a lot of sense - sorry !, Still learning about Linux
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temetka »

Seeing as how this is an LTE release, couldn't I just install the 64 bit version and slap KDE on top of it? I prefer KDE and have no problems installing it myself and was about to download LM16 and install that but noticed that LM17 is out.

Thanks for the hard work.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

temetka wrote:Seeing as how this is an LTE release, couldn't I just install the 64 bit version and slap KDE on top of it? I prefer KDE and have no problems installing it myself and was about to download LM16 and install that but noticed that LM17 is out.

Did you mean 'LTS'? Anyway, what you are thinking is possible but it's more trouble than it's worth, I would just wait for the KDE version to arrive, adding an extra DE can be a pain in the neck, you would have to 'tell' the login manager that KDE is your default DE session.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

tdockery97 wrote:Regarding mintstick, I have found that using the formatting feature and formatting the USB stick first, then using mintstick to burn the .iso to the stick works 100% of the time for me. I'm not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but I'm satisfied with how it is working.
I found the same thing with Unetbootin, I have to format the USB stick first (my BIOS likes FAT) with Disks (gnome-disk-utility) or similar, strange dat, but it works.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Thank you Mint Team, wonderful release. :mrgreen:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

temetka wrote:Seeing as how this is an LTE release, couldn't I just install the 64 bit version and slap KDE on top of it? I prefer KDE and have no problems installing it myself and was about to download LM16 and install that but noticed that LM17 is out.

LTS long term support.
LTE is a modem ;)

I would advise you to wait for the KDE version to be released. Of course you can install it your self. But it will be better integrated if you use the official iso. And you will have less useless stuff and your system will be lighter. :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”